Transfer Window: January 2011

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Re: January 2011 transfer window thread

Post by bobd_uk »

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote:I think Suarez like Carroll (for the money they paid for both) is a MASSIVE gamble and like I said earlier - Liverpool have sold a steak and bought hamburgers with the money.
I think anyone at that price is a gamble. The big difference is that Suarez has scored in a European league for a few years, and has international pedigree. Carroll has 4 months PL experience and half an international match. I can remember Michael Ricketts having half a season as good as Carroll has had.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

the pink palermo wrote:Some of you lot !

Rooney was sh*t because he never scored with his head.......Carroll never scores with his feet, so he's sh*t.......

A goals a goal .Even penalties count .
It's called football

Carrol is a striker, he's scored 3 top level goals with his feet. 35m is an unbelievable price to pay. That price tag is based on 6 months of football

We all know he can head a ball but for 35m you want a proven finisher. Someone who when they go through one on one won't let you down. Does anyone honestly have a clue what Carrol is like in these situations? It's going to be interesting......

Massive massive gamble what ever way you want to look at it

I also have my doubts about the South American coming from the Dutch league. We all know that a scoring record in that country doesn't mean **** in the big time
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

RARS

On this one , my determination of great business is really based upon I think he could be a fabulous signing for Liverpool .

They are not like us - they don't need to spread the jam thin so they end up with crap all over the place .They can afford to back Dalglish with big bucks everytime they venture into the market .They'll be buying a centre back in the summer for sure , and he won't be cheap .

Dalglish has a plan - of that I am certain .
Number9
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Number9 »

Apparently we have Edu on trial at the club.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Number9 wrote:Apparently we have Edu on trial at the club.
:lol:

I love this forum.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Pinky

In isolation, he's a great signing. I understand the logic about having money to burn and using it to get the best that is currently available, rather than spending £35m on 7-8 players. That wouldn't work too well.

I agree totally with you about their formation and what he'll bring. He'll do well for them, I'm sure.
I really rate Carroll and think he'll be England's centre forward, alongside Rooney, for years to come. Indeed, a spot which should have been Dean Ashton's. Christ, imagine his market value right now, if Carroll is valued at this much?!

They could have seen the season out, signed a better player for half the price in the summer, spend the rest on 1 or 2 outstanding players and invested more. They would have looked every bit the potential Champions League chasing team.

As it stands now, they have taken a massive risk by spending an entire massive transfer budget on one relatively unproven player, after capturing one already to replace the outgoing Torres.

As I said, they could have gotten Klose, for example, to see out this season.

It's a very strange transfer.
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

WOW, I have just spent 15 mins trying to see if we had signed a late ace up our sleeves, all I have is a headache from reading how good or not the deal was for Liverpool, Newcastle and Chelski.

I thought we said no thanks to Edu as he was too much of an injury risk?

Did we do anything on the Wes Brown front?
munichhammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by munichhammer »

Matt of iron wrote:
The German league is far superior to the Dutch league.
So far this season Suarez has netted 1 goal every 187minutes, Ba 1 goal every 162 minutes in a much stronger league.

Suarez cost the Mickey's 25million, Ba just 6 million.

I reckon Ba will score more goals this season for us than Suarez will for Liverpool.
Fred Poster

Post by Fred Poster »

Number9 wrote:Apparently we have Edu on trial at the club.
Really Trig? :wink:
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

munichhammer wrote: So far this season Suarez has netted 1 goal every 187minutes, Ba 1 goal every 162 minutes in a much stronger league.

I reckon Ba will score more goals this season for us than Suarez will for Liverpool.
I may have found a small problem with your theory. :think:
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

munichhammer wrote: So far this season Suarez has netted 1 goal every 187minutes, Ba 1 goal every 162 minutes in a much stronger league.

nice calculating..but suarez has had a lot of personal difficulties..and has also been suspended for 7 matches this season for biting an opponent..he basically had no summer holiday when he came back to ajax from the WC and had the responsibility of being the captain of a really unstable team.
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

munichhammer wrote:
So far this season Suarez has netted 1 goal every 187minutes, Ba 1 goal every 162 minutes in a much stronger league.

He might not actually score more goals - because of other factors - but having seen them both play, I reckon Ba is the better player, and certainly more suited to the Premier League.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

claretcloggy wrote:
nice calculating..but suarez has had a lot of personal difficulties..and has also been suspended for 7 matches this season for biting an opponent..he basically had no summer holiday when he came back to ajax from the WC and had the responsibility of being the captain of a really unstable team.
So that's £50 mill plus on two players with a seeming inability to control themselves, whether that's on or off the pitch.

Could all end in tears.(Hopefully)
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

[quote="munichhammer"

I reckon Ba will score more goals this season for us than Suarez will for Liverpool.[/quote]

Personally from what I have seen of Suarez I haven't been impressed.

And if those stats are true then he has the makings of a potential flop/
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Bubbles & Squeaks 77 wrote: Was the same sort of age when he came to England.
Kezman for PSV in his total 4 seasons - 105 goals in 122 games
Suarez for Ajax in his total 4 seasons - 81 goals in 110 games
Suarez's international record is slightly better - Kezman 17 goals in 49 games / Suarez 16 from 38 though are Indonesia and Venezuela "good opponents"?
The problem you run into there is there is no discussion about what separates one player from the other, or what makes them similar. Other than they were strikers who scored goals, of course.
DDRS

Post by DDRS »

when Newcastle creamed us 5-0 there was no sign of Caroll - Leon Best stood up to the mark & got 3 against us, Nolan 1 & Lovenkrands the other; so why do people think the barcodes are going down this year? They clearly have goals in them. Kevin Nolan & Joey Barton have been far better than i thought they would & if Leon Best gets a long run in their team then I'm sure he'll score enough to keep them up - suggesting the sale of Caroll will mean their demise is foolish- it may hinder their progress up the table but certainly does not point to them tumbling down it...

As for Torres, he would never have re-gained the glorious form he was in before the WC whilst wearing a L'Pool shirt- it's been a mess up there for ages & you can see in his attitude that he did not want to be a part of that sinking ship... despite Kenny coming in, it's too little too late- the love affair was over & it was time to move on... realistically, everybody got the move they wanted yesterday - Caroll may suggest that he never wanted to leave but i'm sure you won't see him looking upset playing alongside Suarez, Gerrard & co...

If we don't get Wes Brown in this window (which i assume we won't now) then I think we will put a sturdy bid in for him come the summer- he has only started 10 games this season- he won't want that again next season at his age; only problem is, that I can see managers like Coyle & Moyes fancying his experience....

Mind you, we won't be making a bid like that If we go down, the next 14 games are HUGE and that is a big understatement!
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

DDRS wrote:when Newcastle creamed us 5-0 there was no sign of Caroll - Leon Best stood up to the mark & got 3 against us, Nolan 1 & Lovenkrands the other; so why do people think the barcodes are going down this year?
Cos they won't be up against **** like us every week! :lol:

Seriously though, the de moralising effects this could have on the club and the added pressure on strikers who were on the bench and in the reserves to score goals to make results could be damaging and could end up with newcastle drying up
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

westhamerica wrote:The problem you run into there is there is no discussion about what separates one player from the other, or what makes them similar. Other than they were strikers who scored goals, of course.
A striker is paid to score goals at the end of the day. My point is the Eredivisie is not a good indication of what a player is going to do over here which is why I think Liverpool have not only spent too much on Carroll but on Suarez as well as he is far from proven at a top level.

Unless they luck in and have got the next RVN I think Liverpool have had a nightmare window, with panic buys at very stupid prices.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

I left this thread 3 hours ago and come back to find everyone still discussing Carroll, Torres, the Scouse & the Barcodes.

Thought we talked about West Ham on this forum :?
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

libero wrote:I left this thread 3 hours ago and come back to find everyone still discussing Carroll, Torres, the Scouse & the Barcodes.

Thought we talked about West Ham on this forum :?
Given that all our new signings have their own threads, and this is the "January 2011 transfer window thread", why can't we talk about events in the January 2011 transfer window here?!