Manager Poll: 2011/2012 [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Clean slate, fresh start? A manager for 2011/2012...

Poll ended at Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 am

Avram Grant
8%
Martin O'Neill
36%
Paul Lambert
26%
None of the above
30%

Total votes: 396

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Manager Poll: 2011/2012 [POLL]

Post by Up the Junction »

In't papers today it was suggested that the bosses are keeping an eye on Martin O'Neill and Paul Lambert as possible replacements for the ailing Mr Grant. Choose one of the three - or none of the above - to be in charge next season, regardless of which division we are playing in...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Re: Manager Poll: 2011/2012 [POLL]

Post by the pink palermo »

Who we would like , or who we think will be there ?
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

Can we have a 'either of the bottom 2' option please?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

the pink palermo wrote:Who we would like , or who we think will be there ?
Good question. The former please.
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Can you insert (not the ref) in the title thread, nearly had a heart attack.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

It was suggested in the media that QPR may be getting rid of Walnock. If they do he'd be perfect to get us back up!

O'Neill for me if we stay up, doubt we will though
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Yea Why Not wrote:It was suggested in the media that QPR may be getting rid of Walnock. If they do he'd be perfect to get us back up!
After the Tevezgate scandal I think we have more chance of getting Paul Ince as our next manager
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

If we stay up -

Avram clearly doesn't deserve anymore time at the club. He's been dealt a lot of problems this season, but the team he's had should not be in this position, simple as.

We need stability more than anything so O'Neil please. I wouldn't like to gamble on Lambert just yet, sure he's done well to get successive promotions but we shouldn't be swayed by managers that have gained success outside of the Premier League. We need someone who's been here, done it and succeeded.

If we go down and Norwich fail to come up (looking unlikely) then i'd like to go for Lambert.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

None of the above for me .....

We need to find someone who can bring some stability to the club and who doesn't f*** off the minute the going gets tough (so no MON). As we'll probably be in the Championship we need someone who's got a reasonably sound grasp of tactics and is capable of communicating them to the team; someone who's got a good eye for a player and; someone who gets us set up to play the West Ham way rather than lump it up to a big striker (so no Fat Sam either!)

Don't suppose we could just hire a medium and get John Lyall, Ron Greenwood or Brian Clough?
aaronwhufc

Post by aaronwhufc »

Clucking Bell wrote:None of the above for me .....

We need to find someone who can bring some stability to the club and who doesn't f*** off the minute the going gets tough (so no MON). As we'll probably be in the Championship we need someone who's got a reasonably sound grasp of tactics and is capable of communicating them to the team; someone who's got a good eye for a player and; someone who gets us set up to play the West Ham way rather than lump it up to a big striker (so no Fat Sam either!)

Don't suppose we could just hire a medium and get John Lyall, Ron Greenwood or Brian Clough?
O'neill didn't f*** off when it got tough, he had enough of the board and their inteference over such matters like the sale of Barry/Milner without his consent. Although, with Karren's Sunday Diary he'd probably part ways after the first Saturday of her column.
Diving Moleman

Post by Diving Moleman »

MON best option stay up or not. Brallivan will have to shut it, no bad thing.

If we drop could we do worst than Mad Dog? About time we had a bit of passion from the top.
King Guy

Post by King Guy »

before I put my vote down can I change it depending on how things pan out? don't wanna be stuck in another 'backing zola/avram and forever being reminded by it' situation :think:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Chose Lambert out of the available candidates. None of the above ? After the past two years my gran would have a better chance of getting the job than a top boss imvho. (And God Bless Her she's been gone a long time).

Lambert hasn't done it on the big stage but he brings the no nonsense approach I would think a bloody tough Jock who has experience playing at a very high level ~ just googled this bit

In 1996, Lambert transferred to the German Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund where he was deployed as defensive midfielder. He was well liked by the fans in Germany, and he contributed to the team's success in winning the 1997 UEFA Champions League: in the Final against Juventus in Munich on 28 May 1997, he played successfully in midfield to quell the influence of Juve's French playmaker Zinedine Zidane as Dortmund won 3–1.[citation needed] Lambert also set up Karl-Heinz Riedle's opening goal. He became the first British player to win the European Cup with a non-UK team, and the first British player to win the Champions League since its inception. Lambert only scored one goal with Borussia Dortmund in a league game against Werder Bremen.

Not impressed with winning shitloads with Celtic because it's a shitleague. BUT.......Not easy for an Englishman to succeed abroad (in those days very few did, still seemingly don't in general). Dortmund were a pretty useful side too iirc.

After studying for football coaching qualifications in 2005, Lambert landed his first managerial job with Livingston on 1 June 2005. Lambert studied for his UEFA coaching credentials in Germany, one of very few non-Germans to have been given dispensation to do so

Worked his way up, Livingstone, Wycombe, Colchester and now Norwich. What's the bet if he was English he would have been given a pretty gig in the Premier already, after all there's a few with less "been there done that" qualifications already in much better jobs than he has.

I'd give him a punt rather than "If I don't get a shitload of money to spun on all and sundry like a kid in a sweet shop I'll throw my toys out of the pram."

We're not an MON type team now, he's flirted with top 6 the Europa League and a load of transfer wedge at his disposal.

Lambert might manage us for a few years and get the ManYoo gig (or similar) but we won't really going to get a plum manager (well we might and have one who IS a plum) but I think that until we can get back on track we going to have to take another punt. And if we do well under someone like that moving into Stratford I could see him sticking around.

imvho
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Jesus wept since Redknapp went we've been like unhappy wives. No-ones been very good except Pardew and he 'had to go' for /injunction/ and now we're looking Del-Boyishly at a class act like O'Neill. Won't happen. We seem to have lost the thread of promoting from within (Lomas anyone?) and we might as well forget anyone touched with fame like Grant and accept a meat and potatoes ex-pro. Probably a jock like two thirds of the rest of the League. None of the above, basically.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Wot you doing up this late/early....?

Got Past Perfect Progressive (Continuous) and Relative clauses ......

High school graduates (18)

Plus compound adjectives with "well" for average age of 13......

Headbanger
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

If we stayed up & kept Grant, i believe we'd be in a worse position as a Club than if we went down & got MON or Lambert, & i don't like MON at all as a Person & think h'es overated as a Manager, but he clearly gets the best out of his Teams..
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Lambert for me.

MON has nothing to prove and dont think that if, and its a very big if, he came to us he would bring any real passion or desire to prove himself. Whereas Lambert is the rising star that I believe would bring the passion and desire to prove himself and if we were relegated I could see him bringing us straight up. If we were to stay up (fingers, toes, etc crossed) I believe he would move us forward and we would not be deep in the brown stuff like we have been now for two seasons.

I know he's not liked on here, but I could see Fat Sam getting us automatic promotion as well if we went down.

All in all, the current Manager of Choice for me is Paul Lambert.( This is on the assumption that Guss Hiddink and Louis Van Gaal both decide not to take up the challenge!)
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

stability,continuity,loyalty. 3 things sadly lacking from west ham towards the managers of the club since Redknapp left. we have been relegated 5 times in our history and only once (89 Lyall) did we sack the manager and some of us think that was a bad move.
i voted to stick with grant and allow him the time to right some wrongs,the man has been under pressure since the first few games of the season and IMO we have improved under him (slightly) compared to the durge served up by zola,s teams and yet Zola remained popular to the end. Upto 1989 we have had only 5 managers, we've had the same amount in the last 10 years and that dont include Brookings short tenure, chopping and changing managers achieves nothing but failure
hammer
Strangely fascinated with Bonehead's arse.

Post by hammer »

none of the above

allardyce or warnock :oops: for me
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

None of the above - O'Neill and Lambert are just wishful thinking imo, when you look at the threadbare shortlists put to use in terms of the last two appointments...and maintaining the status quo with Grant is just not an option.

God knows who'd want the job; regardless of the division, but, if Hughton were interested, I'd offer it him.