Manager XIV [POLL One]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

My first choice to replace Avram Grant is:

Sam Allardyce
12%
Martin Allen
2%
Slaven Bilic
4%
Tony Carr
11%
Alan Curbishley
7%
Paolo Di Canio
2%
Roberto Di Matteo
1%
Glenn Hoddle
1%
Chris Hughton
13%
Martin Jol
4%
Paul Lambert
6%
Steve McClaren
1%
Alex McLeish
0%
Martin O'Neill
22%
Stuart Pearce
5%
Gus Poyet
2%
Brendan Rodgers
1%
Alan Shearer
0%
Neil Warnock
3%
None of the above
3%

Total votes: 1014

Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Re: Manager XIV [POLL]

Post by Hayden »

The Lambert stuff, in my opinion, is intended to put pressure on Norwich... Don't get me wrong - I'm sure he would love to come here, but I think the main intention is to pressure Norwich to tie him down. That's his primary goal - and if they don't... then he'll have a shot at become Manager XIV - win win.

I'd be very happy with him as manager - but I don't think he will be this time.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

AJ wrote:Newcastle views on Hughton:

http://www.nufcblog.com/2011/05/17/lets ... t-ham-job/
The main thing I took out of that is that the majority of their posters spell it Houghton as well. And that's directly below an article with the correct spelling multiple times and a season and a half of being manager of their club. Makes our lot look sharp as a tack :lol:
joyful

Post by joyful »

sicknote wrote

do you know why he (rob lee) didnt?
I didn't know that Sicknote so thank you for filling me in, Am busy revising my opinion as we speak, :oops:
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

sicknote wrote:its all down to west hams greed at the time, rob lee was set to and keen to join his club, charlton being potless set up a deal that meant the sharing of the boleyn ground would be covered by the sale of rob lee to west ham no monies changing hands just rent paid in return for rob lees transfer, approximately half a million quid IIRC
west ham supposedly turned down this deal, and a year later newcastle offered 4 or 5 times more for rob lee to charlton he went and never was approached until his latter carreer, having a grievance for rob lee over that is a bit wrong, the issues our club
I blame the two Davids! After all, none of our previous owners could be accused of being greedy.
jimjimminy

Post by jimjimminy »

Looking at the bookies favourites I'd take any bar Jones, Mackay and McCleish. William Hill is offering Mourhinio at 20/1 :lol:
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Ray Winstone is 500-1 with Betfred :)
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

resus wrote:Chris Hughton gets my vote.

He was first team coach at Sp*rs for several seasons and has shown enough as manager with Newcastle at Championship and PL level. I rate him as manager and I'm sure he can take a young team straight back to the PL. Come on you Irons!!!
He simply hasn't though..

He got promotion with the best & toughest Squad ever to play in the Championship granted, but got pushed aside once for Shearer when he wasnt' cutting it in the Prem, then had another shot at the Prem for 10 weeks !!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

A timely reminder for those still contemplating support for Neil Warnock:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=50HFQGTO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
munichhammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by munichhammer »

Up the Junction wrote:A timely reminder for those still contemplating support for Neil Warnock:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=50HFQGTO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any chance of a new poll made up of the top 5 - 6 candidates ?
Welsh Iron

Post by Welsh Iron »

How any West Ham fan can support the appointment of Colin is beyond me but some people have short memories I suppose
jimjimminy

Post by jimjimminy »

Maybe after season upon season of nice but bland managers some of us want an utter repulsive ****.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

I'm finding the complete silence from the Allardyce camp a big worry. I could probably learn to stomach any of the dozen or so candidates thrown up so far, but Fat Sam would be a massive own goal - the kind of decision made at a low ebb that would come to be regretted very quickly I think
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

munichhammer wrote:Any chance of a new poll made up of the top 5 - 6 candidates ?
As per my note from yesterday morning - yes, once this one has received 1,000 votes.
Keepers
Location: If we could play Arsenal every week , everything would be great.

Post by Keepers »

Has experience with young players. Cant imagine him tempting to many 'names' to the club, plus it would be a gamble to choose someone with no professional experience, and if it all went wrong Carr would probably have to leave the club.[/quote]

You are right it would be a gamble. Its the names being thrown about that made me pick Tony Carr.

MON no chance, already turned us down and seems unintrested.

Curbs, be there done that didnt like it.

Fat sam, cant argue would make us stronger and harder to beat. Lots of staff changes and a diffrent attitude to the game.
Not sure i would look forward to game day but im sure he would get us back up.

Paul Lambert, again would he come here. If norwich dont up his wage maybe but i think they will.

Colin ****er, no doudt he would get us back up but any small slip and the crowd would be anti.
Match day would be **** and i dont think i would bother going.

Then we start to get to the real candidates. Chris Hughton, Mackay, Dave Jones , and other average managers
and this is the real level of manager we can atract at this time. All ok men but do they stand above Mr Carr.

So IMO why not Tony Carr. Its only football and he has 38 years of that under his belt. He has west ham
in his heart. We have no money to attract super stars. The squad will be young and lads he knows.
He will need help but i think he will get it . The crowd will be for him.
One last thing i think he would get a few of the big clubs to loan players because of reputation and in this
league it could make the diffrence.
It goes without saying that it all just talk and the man could fall flat on his face but i would be there every
home game win or lose with a smile on my face beer in my belly and singing Tony Carrs claret and blue army.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Up the Junction wrote: As per my note from yesterday morning - yes, once this one has received 1,000 votes.
Just regarding that - I know you only want to do top 5 which looks like MON, Hughton, Allardyce, Carr and Curbs, but might be worth including space for Lambert and (maybe) Warnock since they're as no less likely than some of those names and have a bit of support?
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Apologies if this has already been posted - results from WHTID's poll for next manager

http://www.westhamtillidie.com/2011/05/ ... in-oneill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

Now lambert is a possible I would definitely change my vote to him.

He has worked wonders at Norwich. One of the fittest teams in the league and play great football.

Look how many goals they score in the last ten mins of games.
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

I'm not sure that Lambert would want to work under the 3 stooges to be honest. Even if his contract at Norwich is in dispute any mention of our job would definately be to give Delia a kick up the arse. After what he has done there in the last 2 seasons, I cannot see them letting him go so easily. Reckon he will easily get a year in the Premiership. Back to square one.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

one point i have been pondering a bit is

when we are promoted which manager will be able to attract the big name players to help fill up the O.S?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

ToiletDuck wrote:when we are promoted which manager will be able to attract the big name players?
Anyone with wealthy benefactors...