Manager XIV: Allardyce Confirmed

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

My first choice to replace Avram Grant from the candidates below is:

Martin O'Neill
36%
Chris Hughton
14%
Sam Allardyce
22%
Tony Carr
17%
Alan Curbishley
11%

Total votes: 1121

Guinevere

Re: Manager XIV: Allardyce Confirmed

Post by Guinevere »

Deleted (Mucked up quotes)
Last edited by Guinevere on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Pinkus, while your concerns would be valid in the Prem, I am less concerned.

Worry not, Kovac will look like Busquets in the Championship.

I think that Reid and Barrera are too soon to condem.

We all know that Ilunga can play football, he just seems to be some kind of giant ****stick.

Da Costa is also at his level, though we are paying him five times as much money as we would need to sign someone else.

Again, Faubert was a decent footballer once. Could he be the first player to go from Real to the Champs in one fell swoop?
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

If we're still picking sides, I'm with the No gang, with BrownFatwa, Turns To Stone, Deptford and FUBAR among others.
BF's post about playing properly in the nPC rather than ugly football in the Prem hits everything on the head for me.
However...
If he does manage to combine a traditional, good passing game with the discipline and organisation that has been sadly lacking, that I will admit I was wrong.
Cookedskunk

Post by Cookedskunk »

Just pleased to have a proper manager for the first time in years, as many will have no doubt said before.

Probably at great length.
Demo
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Demo »

Didn't think Grant was a good appointment and I don't think this is either. The only thing that seems to have been learnt is not to give the next muppet a 4 year contract. At least we'll only have to pay him a year to sack him if we don't get out of the Chumpionship.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

well i'm delighted we've got Allardyce, I was looking forward to next season with a lot of treperdation and expecting us to be no more than mid table but now with Sam in controll I'm morew confident - one things for sure it's going to be an interesting summer as we wait and see who he'll be bringing in.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:So, what posters are on what side this time round?

I know it's myself, HD1, Ouston and bubbles in the pro-Allardyce camp, for sure...

Mick? westhamerica? PP?

chalks, daniel, chuck?
What am I, a mirage?

I started the ****ing camp.

....and yes, you can be a member. 8-)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Chuck

It's a huge difference in standard - I know that , and players who have struggled in the PL will look far better in the Championship .My concern stems from the fact they now know themslves they are not PL standard players and therefore may lack the desire to get back there .

Hence they need to be moved .

Reid and Barerra - I suspect the latter may have struggled to settle - and may go home to Mexico , which is a shame .Reid will benefit from a year in the NPower .

My overall point though is we will see quite a few of the same faces again - we simply don't and won't have the money to splash out in a major way .

Da Costa I expect to be sacked for Gross Misconduct if found guilty in September .
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

the pink palermo wrote:My concern stems from the fact they now know themslves they are not PL standard players and therefore may lack the desire to get back there.
if they know they're **** and no premier league club would buy 'em, then their only chance to get there again is to get promoted, that could put in 'em some desire.

the pink palermo wrote:Da Costa I expect to be sacked for Gross Misconduct if found guilty in September .
i don't know much on this specific case, but statistically (i.e. from several similar past cases) is improbable that he'll be found guilty.
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 764 likes

Post by Chavs »

People giving it the 'He is a **** but he is now our ****' thing, have a word.

I prefer he is a **** but now i get to call him a **** weekly 8-)
daniel

Post by daniel »

Well we've got our man, and I can't say I'm too disappointed. Sure, TC would have been great for many reasons, but if we're looking for an overhaul and a change in mindset then Big Sam's the right man for the job.

He obviously has his opposers, a "boring, long ball football" tag and a general cuntishness about him. Well much like the Bellamy's of this world, you really do hate him 'till he's your ****. Then you just love to see him wind up opposing managers and fans.
His words about the West Ham way, about how we'll try to play it home but less away, said quite a lot for me. I absolutely loved it. I was afraid he'd get caught up in trying to appease fans, making stupid promises about playing free-flowing football.
Instead, he showed us what he's about. He adressed the backroom issues, off-field matters, young players and academy products.

His appointment is a masterstroke. He comes in with a chip on his shoulders. He knows the fans might be on his back if he doesn't deliever decent football to go along with results. He's aware of the stigmas sorrounding him, he knows what needs to be done though.

He'll take no **** from the owners nor the players. He's tactically astute, self assured, calm and passionate. Good connections throughout the fooball world, loves a flair player and a tight defence. In other words, he's a proper football manager. Something we've lacked in the last three years.

I'm very excited to see what he does in pre-season and look forward to next season.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 873 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Great News Indeed.

Welcome to Upton Park Sam Allardyce and good work from the Daves.

I am definitely in the Pro BFS camp. We have been crying out for a manager like him for too long. I voted for him in the poll because of those available, he was the stand out option for me to get us back at first attempt. We aint gonna lose 2-0 half time leads with Sam in charge, a good old fashioned no-nonsence takes no sh*t manager. He will instill a winning mentality which we have lacked for too long. From what I have heard on the radio, he respects our history and tradition and will not ride rough shod over it (not at home anyway!). As I have stated on other threads, he needs us as much as we need him (and not just for the alleged £1m promotion bonus) - he wants to be known as more than just a long ball merchant and I will be more than happy to see him achieve this as our manager.

I am looking forward to new season with renewed vigour and look forward to chanting 'Big Fat Sam's Claret n Blue Army' - its about time we used our managers name. Yes, we will always be West Ham's Claret n Blue Army but I cant remember a manager's name being chanted since Alan Pardew and even then it was a while before that kicked in.

Sam Allardyce is a proven winner and it wasnt that long ago that he was touted as a possible England manager - we are lucky to have him IMO and some people need to wake up and smell the coffee. He will make us difficult to beat and that is exactly what you need in championship. We need to hit the ground running and I want automatic promotion, dont care if its as champions or runners up, either will do - I dont want to be fannying around with play offs again. Big Sam is the man for the job.

Exciting Times Indeed!!
BonzosBoots
Has liked: 49 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by BonzosBoots »

Not my choice by a huge margin - however, now he is here I sincerely hope he proves me wrong and he proves to be a genius. His first interviews are a good start.

Welcome you fat ****.
Xander
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Xander »

Hopefully a season in The Chumps will see Nouble get the confidence and experience he maybe needs
di_canio_mad

Post by di_canio_mad »

Does Sam Allardyce talk to the BBC at all or does he still refuse to because of all the allegations some time back??
Might never hear him speak on Football League show!
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Imagine if we got taken over and he was sacked again. I might put a fiver on him being gone before the start of the season.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

di_canio_mad wrote:Does Sam Allardyce talk to the BBC at all or does he still refuse to because of all the allegations some time back??
Might never hear him speak on Football League show!
Spoken to BBC Radio today.
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

well said chicky me old mucker, i couldn't have said it better meself, (so i didn't) :lol:
Essex 'Ammer12

Post by Essex 'Ammer12 »

Fear not!

Good article here on Sam:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion ... 43450.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
westhamerica
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Let me take this opportunity to announce my candidacy for the Pro-Allardyce Party. I vow to spend the next two years attempting to disspell notions of hoofball with concise, logical, and sometimes contradictory points in defense of PAP.