The Olympics

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Re: The Olympics

Post by Wembley1966 »

wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1703 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Shocking - McDonald's don't sell chips anyway they sell 'fries'
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2409 likes
Total likes: 2620 likes

Post by sendô »

Have the bus drivers gotten their £600 bonus for doing the exact same job in the exact same way yet?
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

sendô wrote:Have the bus drivers gotten their £600 bonus for doing the exact same job in the exact same way yet?
Yes they will probably accept the offer made to them.
delbert
Has liked: 696 likes
Total likes: 693 likes

Post by delbert »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... s-olympics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If G4S can't supply the required amount of security people then G4S are not honouring their part of the contract so shouldn't be paid, or at least be paid substantially less. Then again I suppose with the crap wages they're offering coupled with the hassle of having to sign off and then back on again it should only come as a surprise to the hard of thinking that they'd struggle.
Obviously the MoD has done it's bit and with an amazing piece of foresight for such a maligned and incompetent government department done away with London Weighting for any soldiers over the rank of corporal. So where as everyone else is getting more dosh for working through the olympics a lot of soldiers are doing it for less.
I could go into the whole sale chaos of finding somewhere to put these troops, the petty minded budget restraints and the broken promises that are causing even more grief, but I've gone on enough..........
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2428 likes
Total likes: 4259 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

G4S failure is, from what I understand ( :wink: ), a reflection of modern London's population.

Why they haven't been import a few thousand more suitable candidates from oop north (well, slightly beyond the M25) to work in London for a few weeks is a question that deserves answering.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2409 likes
Total likes: 2620 likes

Post by sendô »

I'm sure that'll look great on the TV with British Army soldiers running security around the grounds.

Plus, putting them there will just present another target to would be terrorists.
shammy

Post by shammy »

bubbles1966 wrote:G4S failure is, from what I understand, a reflection of modern London's population.

Why they haven't been import a few thousand more suitable candidates from oop north (well, slightly beyond the M25) to work in London for a few weeks is a question that deserves answering.

London is bursting at the seams with work-shy Northerners pretending to be "students"...They are not the answer...Shall we ask the Jocks? :wink:
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

shammy wrote:
London is bursting at the seams with work-shy Northerners pretending to be "students"...They are not the answer...Shall we ask the Jocks? :wink:
After what you did to the Irish, we need to keep you well away from the Scots......
shammy

Post by shammy »

After what you did to the Irish, we need to keep you well away from the Scots......

:lol:
Hammers Dad

Post by Hammers Dad »

delbert wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... s-olympics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If G4S can't supply the required amount of security people then G4S are not honouring their part of the contract so shouldn't be paid, or at least be paid substantially less. Then again I suppose with the crap wages they're offering coupled with the hassle of having to sign off and then back on again it should only come as a surprise to the hard of thinking that they'd struggle.
Obviously the MoD has done it's bit and with an amazing piece of foresight for such a maligned and incompetent government department done away with London Weighting for any soldiers over the rank of corporal. So where as everyone else is getting more dosh for working through the olympics a lot of soldiers are doing it for less. I could go into the whole sale chaos of finding somewhere to put these troops, the petty minded budget restraints and the broken promises that are causing even more grief, but I've gone on enough..........
And some of us are doing it for a lot less than the service personnel we support....you're point is?

Unless you have been intimately involved in the planning for the Olympics, you really are basing everything on hearsay and conjecture. The old adage of not believing everything you read is certainly true here.
delbert

Post by delbert »

This rephasing of the trafffic lights (at the top of the Rotherhithe Tunnel) has nearly doubled my jouney time into work over the last couple of weeks, why not just do the sensible thing and paint a white circle in the middle of the junction and turn the pointless things off.
If I was a truly vindictive person I'd make some caltrops and sprinkle them in the olympic lanes, I daresay some more militant motorists may well go down that route.
If they do they're quite easy to make.......
Hammers Dad

Post by Hammers Dad »

delbert wrote:This rephasing of the trafffic lights (at the top of the Rotherhithe Tunnel) has nearly doubled my jouney time into work over the last couple of weeks, why not just do the sensible thing and paint a white circle in the middle of the junction and turn the pointless things off.
If I was a truly vindictive person I'd make some caltrops and sprinkle them in the olympic lanes, I daresay some more militant motorists may well go down that route.
If they do they're quite easy to make.......
Whilst tempting, it may end up with a terrorism charge and a free trip to Belmarsh!

The whole Olympic Lane stuff is annoying - causing me so much grief both at work and at home (work opposite a venue, live close to 3 venues). Roads around home are being "Olympicised" overnight now.
delbert

Post by delbert »

I'm not guilty of being involved in the detailed planning, I am however a witness of some of the outcome that has resulted from that detailed planning. A good example being the subject of a refigerated lorry required to keep the rations fresh, do they run the lorry to keep the food cool or plug the lorry into the mains at that location?
The fuel bill comes off of one budget, the electricity bill another. This is just one example of a raft of stupidity and petty willy waving I've been trying to stay out of in the last few months.
Even whilst typing this I'm looking out of the window at an RLC major stomping around trying to figure out how he can accomodate a bunch of female soldiers that were not in the original plan (or indeed the 36 following plans).
As for the troops and their money, funny that they lost London Weighting just before a shitload more of them are required in London, it seems someone in the MoD can plan something if it means screwing the blokes over.......
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

I have a little inside knowledge on the G4S debacle. G4S subcontract as well as have their own staff. Coming up to the Olympics they had promises of X amount of security guards from these sub contractors. However the regulation board for the industry, SIA, threw a spanner in the works when they started their due diligence audits. Some of those companies that had promised staff were failing the due diligence. To put it bluntly, some were not too stringent in their background checks.

Without wishing to sound like a Daily Mail reader, but I know one of these sub contractors, and when most of the staff have names like Mohammad Iqbal and have not fully vetted their staff, then perhaps the SIA got a little twitchy.
Hammers Dad

Post by Hammers Dad »

delbert wrote:I'm not guilty of being involved in the detailed planning, I am however a witness of some of the outcome that has resulted from that detailed planning. A good example being the subject of a refigerated lorry required to keep the rations fresh, do they run the lorry to keep the food cool or plug the lorry into the mains at that location?
The fuel bill comes off of one budget, the electricity bill another. This is just one example of a raft of stupidity and petty willy waving I've been trying to stay out of in the last few months.
Even whilst typing this I'm looking out of the window at an RLC major stomping around trying to figure out how he can accomodate a bunch of female soldiers that were not in the original plan (or indeed the 36 following plans).
As for the troops and their money, funny that they lost London Weighting just before a shitload more of them are required in London, it seems someone in the MoD can plan something if it means screwing the blokes over.......
Why wouldn't they come from seperate parts of the budget?

A Major stomping around?
Surely not....
I think females have been in the military for a while now and if he is suddenly confronted with the opposite sex and hasn't a clue how to deal with them then he needs a career change. A majority of females in the armed services deal with things just as well as the men and can adapt quite well. I think your example shows the inefficiency of a Major rather than the stupidity of MOD as an entity.

I think the troops get RRA(L) as opposed to London Weighting and that is paid to all staff below 2* (Major General/Air Vice Marshall/Rear Admiral). In addition to their pay rise and incremental steps in pay.
delbert

Post by delbert »

I will expand. The TA unit at my location has been mobilised and is going into another TA centre, the unit in that TA centre has been mobilised and is going onto yet another TA centre. I have another unit moving into my place, the major who is pulling his hair out is from the unit moving in. Remember, these are TA centres and therefore do not have accomodation, this has to brought in, space allocated and set up. Changing numbers has an impact on this, as do the rules of having females with males as they must have seperate accomodation and ablutions.
Why they couldn't just stay at their own TA centres is anyones guess.
Hence the last minute.com clusterfuck. The military will sort it, they will do it despite the powers that be, not because of them.
You are correct in that London Weighting in the military is called RRA (L) you are however incorrect in who is in receipt of it. Since April it is only payable to those below sergeant, and the military have also been on an annual pay freeze as well as the CS. Although they do recieve incremental raises if applicable.

They refridgerated lorry thing? The fuel bill comes off the budget of the unit moving in, the electricity bill comes out of the budget of the resident unit. That is why these silly little things become issues......
Hammers Dad

Post by Hammers Dad »

delbert wrote:I will expand. The TA unit at my location has been mobilised and is going into another TA centre, the unit in that TA centre has been mobilised and is going onto yet another TA centre. I have another unit moving into my place, the major who is pulling his hair out is from the unit moving in. Remember, these are TA centres and therefore do not have accomodation, this has to brought in, space allocated and set up. Changing numbers has an impact on this, as do the rules of having females with males as they must have seperate accomodation and ablutions.
Why they couldn't just stay at their own TA centres is anyones guess.
Hence the last minute.com clusterfuck. The military will sort it, they will do it despite the powers that be, not because of them.
You are correct in that London Weighting in the military is called RRA (L) you are however incorrect in who is in receipt of it. Since April it is only payable to those below sergeant, and the military have also been on an annual pay freeze as well as the CS. Although they do recieve incremental raises if applicable.

They refridgerated lorry thing? The fuel bill comes off the budget of the unit moving in, the electricity bill comes out of the budget of the resident unit. That is why these silly little things become issues......
Serves you right for working in Camberwell (assuming I have tracked you down correctly, DW :lol: )

I take it that your unit doesn't have female members?
If they do, they already have seperate ablutions. As for sleeping, any room will do with a camp bed and sleeping bag. Done it myself on many an occasion when I dossed at a TA centre (Maidstone/Kennington/Blackheath), a hangar at Fairford or sh**hole in Germany. As long as they are in seperate rooms (though we have had mixed accommodation on the odd occasion too) then all is good.

The RRA thing is still on the intranet Pay link as all below 2*, so they need to get that sorted
As for why they moved around, it all depends on who were kicked out of where first. Some groups of "very special people" may well have been housed in the first TA centre because of it's location and the others moved out accordingly. It then cascades down the line until the last lot are homeless and living under bridges.

Fuel or electricity?
Whatever is cheaper
delbert

Post by delbert »

I used to be quite good at staying anonymous, damn my spleen venting. :lol:
The kip down anywhere thing? That was around plan 23 version 1.4 and got blown out of the water after the fire officer made his visit recently (why he wasn't involved a lot earlier I know not, our place was always down to be used).
Times have changed mate since the devil may care days of old when you was in and we was allowed a touch of common sense.........
Hammers Dad

Post by Hammers Dad »

delbert wrote:I used to be quite good at staying anonymous, damn my spleen venting.
That's the perils of using the same name on the Bulletin Board and leaving your name in full view.
A quick look on the GAL and it didn't take long to find you :lol: