The Olympics

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Re: The Olympics

Post by monkeyhanger »

Bend it like Repka wrote:Am I the only one who thought it was pony?
No me too. Watched two hours of it last night and it is real car crash viewing. So many things I could comment on that were plain wrong. Thank God the opening ceremony was so memorable and hopefully this "wedding reception" of a concert (complete with Boris and Cameron dad dancing to the ****ing Spice Girls) will be soon forgotten.
kielhammer

Post by kielhammer »

I have to go for Epke Zonderland,aka the flying dutchman,who did a routine which was of unprecendented difficulty in gymnastics
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

The Mobot

shammy

Post by shammy »

I was going to come over all liberal and suggest the first woman to represent Saudi Arabia............F**k that, the answer is Bradley Wiggins sitting on that great big stupid throne outside Hampton court with a Gold medal round his neck...Get in!!
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

I'll probably have to go with Mo Farah winning the 10,000 metres. It capped off an unbelievable Saturday where we'd already won 5 medals, Ennis and Rutherford had already won Gold in the stadium so it was rocking but as Mo broke down the home straight to win it the noise was just amazing.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Bend it like Repka wrote:I have to say the whole thing was a magnificent success, apart from the closing ceremony.
The Olympics has completely reversed the way people view this country.

They used to think we were **** at sport but great at music........
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

shammy wrote:I was going to come over all liberal and suggest the first woman to represent Saudi Arabia...........
To me that all came over as a tokenism. The IOC have put pressure on some of the Islamic Countries to allow women to compete. To me it is like if they had said to South Africa in the 70s that they will allow them to enter the games if they had black representation, so South Africa entered a token black athlete that was not very good.

The IOC stood up against racial apartheid, time to really stand up for gender apartheid.

Anyway, off my soap box. I have said this a few times, but this was my champagne moment from the games.

Just sheer joy and Britishness
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Load of highlights but if I had to pick 5 not including the terrific support and the volunteers:

1. Sir Chris Hoy winning the Keirin holding off the German and the medal ceremony afterwards. Yes, I had a blub too. :lol:

2. Mo Farah winning the 5,000 with the crowd going mad on the home straight. (I can sneak in the 10,000 metre win in here as well....)

3. The Gibbon beating the World Champ to get to the Judo final and yelling to the heavens in tears "I love you Mum"

4. With the gold in the bag, Ennis deciding not to stroll home but to go for it to cross the line in style in first place on the final event of the Heptathlon. Will always remember my brother in law screaming "Watch your hammies! Watch your hammies!!!"

5. Bolt - along with his performances, a great showman and comes across as a decent guy.

Wiggo, Ainslie, Murray, Pendleton's overtaking manouvre to win the gold, the two rowers look of amazement etc....all of them amongst loads of others were all just top notch.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Can someone tell me the backing track to this piece?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19234339
Lord Snuffsbury

Post by Lord Snuffsbury »

RichieRiv wrote:Can someone tell me the backing track to this piece?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19234339
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :thup:
Bishnu

Post by Bishnu »

Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over (Instrumental version)
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Denbighammer wrote:For me, Chris Hoy.
It's a toughie. Gemma Gibbons whispering to her departed mum is a real choker but I'm with you DH. It was like watching the conclusion to a Hollywood film in real life.

For those who haven't seen it:

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 5#p3485625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those silver medals aint light...
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Has to be Mo in the 10,000m for me. The perfect end to a perfect day in an event which simmers and simmers before building to a blistering finale.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

don't think i've got one

kate copeland when she won gold was special, gemma gibbons is wonderful, the canoe lads celebrations, wiggos dominance, the veledrome all of it, the saturday night in the OS with three golds in 45 mins, greg rutherford is forgotten a bit from that night, the dressage music for charlotte dujardin's gold medal and her win, coupled with laura getting bronze and her reaction before she'd even won a medal, Mo farah in the 5000 but for the image side on as he is coming down the finishing straight and the crowd behind him are going mental jumping up and down waving flags

it really was a special olympics and i'll never forget those and many other moments from it
delbert
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Fionn wrote:Image
An Italian?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

That's Ivory Coast that flag.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

For me, it started with this guy.

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I think the defining moment for me was when John Inverdale tried to interview Zac Purchase and Mark Hunter after they'd "only" won silver after half killing themselves in the lightweight double sculls. They were all in tears and apologizing to the nation before Steve Redgrave put his arms around them both and led them away.

Mr Sturridge didn't seem anywhere near as apologetic after hitting his penalty straight at the South Korean keeper.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Clucking Bell wrote:I think the defining moment for me was when John Inverdale tried to interview Zac Purchase and Mark Hunter after they'd "only" won silver after half killing themselves in the lightweight double sculls. They were all in tears and apologizing to the nation before Steve Redgrave put his arms around them both and led them away.
and what followed that was john inverdale struggling to hold his own tears and composure to finish his words and hand over to the start of the next race

http://tvnewsroom.co.uk/news/john-inver ... dal-47595/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UTJ met Mark Hunter today at the boleyn ground