Transfer Window: Summer 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Scaloni Is The Messiah

Re: Summer 2012 Transfer and Rumours Thread

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

We could do a lot worse than Gabbidon on a one-year deal as emergency cover.

We've brought in the rest of the 06/07 squad this window. Might as well got the whole hog. Where's Carl Fletcher these days?
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

could we? gabbidon is woeful now. if we are that desperate for defensive cover then why did we let faye leave he would of been ideal cover imo.
munichhammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by munichhammer »

Kevin Pezzoni has just terminated his contract with Cologne after receiving death threats (I don't know why, but he is an average bundesliga defender that was playing in a ***** team) from a faction of Ultra Cologne fans - he's a centre back, 23 yrs old, 6'4" and came through the Blackburn Rovers youth system before signing for FC Cologne in 2008/9 . He will be known to Sam.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/kevin ... 42739.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

I don't think we'll go for another CB. Maybe RB/LB but not CB. Seems like Sam counts on Diarra as CB and there's already Tomkins who isn't playing much. We have plenty of options in midfield as last year's regulars O'Neil, Collison and (now when we have Jarvis and Yossi) Taylor. Honestly, unless we get a good deal (maybe pay as you play or really cheap wages) we are done until January. Then strengthen if necessary.

GK: Jussi, Henderson (and Spiegel)
CB: Collins, Reid, Diarra, Tomkins
RB: O'Brien, Demel, Spence
LB: McCartney, Potts, (Taylor)
MF: Noble, Nolan, Diame, O'Neil, Collison, Taylor, (Diarra)
W: Vaz Te, Jarvis, Benayoun, Hall,
CF: Maiga, Carroll, Cole (and if all others, including whole Academy injured, Piquionne)

By the looks of it, we'll even need to sell before we buy anything.
whuben
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by whuben »

Willtelll wrote:So the deal to sign AC was completed by 8:15am on Thursday.

That doesn't quite tie in with several ITK's quite late "news" that he was joining us. Especially the denials and late 'U' turns and the reports of a medical are "rubbish".

Like clairvoyants, they are just good guessers of what is likely to happen is my take on it.
Or their sauces are not the first person Karen or the Daves call when a transfer is happening?????
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

:raver:

Please, please make this happen. Didn't realise he is still only 29!

We need a 4th CB. In fact he can stay fit, he'll be our number 1 CB with poor old Tomkins relegated to #4!

I also really hope this means Diarra is used in his best position of DM, and not as a CB.
Cockney Rebel
Location: Isle of Dogs... with Manhattan in the background...

Post by Cockney Rebel »

Excuse my ignorance but I don't really remember Mensah's spell at Sunderland... would he give us something different to what we currently have in the squad?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Cockney Rebel wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but I don't really remember Mensah's spell at Sunderland... would he give us something different to what we currently have in the squad?
He was there a couple of years ago and looked alright at the centre of Sunderland's defence. Strong and solid. IIRC. What we may have to think about is a possible injury crisis and mid winter, should we be on a couple of cup runs and the potential fixture pile up that might create come the end of the season, Fresh legs in the centre of our defence then would be very welcome
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:We could do a lot worse than Gabbidon on a one-year deal as emergency cover.
We could, but we could also do a lot, LOT better
BLT319

Post by BLT319 »

well according to his "representative" Willie McKay: 'Several clubs want to sign John but he is keen to join West Ham.'

can he fill in at FB? or is he just a CB?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ds-newsxml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coledinho

Post by Coledinho »

Can slot in at RB for sure. Good signing this
Johnny Pa(i)ntsil

Post by Johnny Pa(i)ntsil »

When I've seen him play, he's appeared solid and impressive. Although this from his wiki page is disconcerting:

However, Manager Steve Bruce decided not to take a permanent move for Mensah due his persistent injury problems make him too much of a risk, so Mensah returned to Lyon. Previously, Mensah move was an option included in the initial move that the deal would be made permanent if Mensah played 25 Premier League matches.

Hopefully he's more fit now, or it goes pay-as-you-play for him.
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

whuben wrote: Or their sauces are not the first person Karen or the Daves call when a transfer is happening?????
Yes except I doubt that they call anyone about our transfer business. The only genuine informants will be from family, selling clubs, agents and WH employees.

Apart from Sullivan jnr who only posts info of what is going to happen from what his dad tells him to post, I doubt that any close family would post info. Even Tony Carr's son has stopped posting info and I doubt that even his Dad knew all the deals that WH have discussed. Distant family that called anyone senior at WH for daily updates would get sussed very quickly....

Agents and selling clubs rarely announce things unless it is gossip rather than definite info. They use rumours as a form of PR as a way of hurrying up other bids or fanning the flames of interest. Clearly the press get info from these contacts but mostly seem to scratch around internet forums and Twitter for stories these days although a few will get info from the likes of BFS, DS & DG.

Which leaves WH employees and players and perhaps lawyers or medical staff. WH and lawyer staff will be very senior people sworn to secrecy hence the transfers that come from left field without anyone getting any rumour until after it has happened.

Medical staff at Holly House obviously let slip info from time to time but where else would someone be ITK from? And how could they consistently get info over several years without being found out? Is it likely G&S would suffer someone close consistently feeding info on their dealings? No it isn't.

The truth is they can't and are no more ITK than the average punter with enough time on his hands to search the internet.

Like women that believe clairvoyant bull****, ITKs get away with telling all us fans desperate for info what we want to hear. Errors can be quickly dismissed as wanted too much money, fee too high, changed our mind, better player on the way etc...

I am sure there are a few genuine people that can text or call a contact for info from time to time but most ITKs must be frauds imho.
BasingstokeIron

Post by BasingstokeIron »

A fit John Mensah is a great addition and rounds of the squad nicely (still think we need a right back personally). Would Start for me alongside Reid. Sunderland Fans loved him
whuben
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by whuben »

I hear what your saying and agree with most of it.

I know one of the ITK on here and the info he gets is 100% genuine from a very good sauce, but even that changes or can be wrong from time to time.

Im just saying from what i know he never guesses or makes things up which was what my original reply to you was about
Tyneside

Post by Tyneside »

Mensah was a really good defender when fit but his body is made of glass. As backup he could be a decent signing on a free, when fit he's a very good player but you can't rely on him at all.
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

And who exactly in our squad has never been injured and can be counted on in all cases? Not many spring to my mind..
Iron Works

Post by Iron Works »

Just a thought but there are alot of teams who bemoan the fact that their best players get signed on TDD and they don't have a chance or enough time to sign anybody else to replace them.

My idea is that at the beginning of the window a club choose's 3 players (maybe more maybe less) who unless a transfer takes place 7 days before TDD cannot be sold or loaned out. That then should give the clubs up to 7 days to replace that player.

Is that too simple an idea and what are the possible flaws?
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Iron Works wrote:
Is that too simple an idea and what are the possible flaws?
It doesn't allow Liverpool FC to be the butt of the nation's jokes until January..