The 5 year ST Loyalty scheme

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: The 5 year ST Loyalty scheme

Post by smuts »

I make you 5 years plussers right....I'd be bloody livid if they didn't honour it.

I don't see how they can hide behind that it was the previous owners that said it to be honest............
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20120521/ ... 84_2776452
For full Season Ticket holders who are renewing for the fifth consecutive season in 2012/13, all relevant information will be included in your renewal pack which will be posted this week.
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Can anyone explain whether given agreeing to the set terms of the original 20% is legally good as a contract , by offering 5% as a five year loyalty discount would this constitute breach of contract?

I imagine that ,if it was,as the club have now taken this offer down they could argue it was a typing error. But if someone who was a ST for the last 5years paid under the 5% offer and it was processed ,would that would be enough for someone to take them the court over?

I'm not a ST holder but am appalled at the club with the way have handled this. But as bad as it is , it doesn't surprise me with this lot in charge. How experienced football owners and business people like the Daves and Brady can be so classless and clueless, as they have shown over many issues at the club so far, has astounded me.

Off the top of my head - Zola's treatment, Lyall family tickets, hiring Grant, not firing Grant, Demba Ba's contract, Olympic Stadium consultation, Bradys collumn Bradys lies to the press re O.S fan consultation, play off ticket offers ....just to new a few examples.

I expect this will all be resolved quickly as they clearly have to honour the 20% agreement.
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

The relevant legislation is the 2008 Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading regs.

I won't quote it verbatim but the relevant section states that it's an offence to make misleading statements as part of a promotion that causes or is likely to cause the average consumer to make a different buying decision.

The law applies before, during and after a contract is made and both the club and individuals involved in any misleading acts are liable to fines and even a maximum of two years inside in the event of conviction under the act.

I await my renewal pack with interest!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Gnome wrote: two years inside !
:?

When you put it like that it doesn't sound so bad ........two minutes is my norm
Gnome

Post by Gnome »

the pink palermo wrote:When you put it like that it doesn't sound so bad ........two minutes is my norm

Is your Norm a season ticket holder as well? :lol:
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

I speak for myself and 5 other 5year plus season ticket holders, this is yet another PR disaster. If anyone is thinking of making a claim via the small claims court let us know, not sure if people band together we can take class action or have to make individual claims :think:
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

There should be a SAB meeting on the 31/5/12, let's see if it can achieve anything on this subject
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Gnome wrote: Is your Norm a season ticket holder as well? :lol:
Yes, I've mentioned him before "Fat" Tony , or Norm to his "close" friends .He has a 28 inch waist ..........

Back on topic , as much as I am looking forward to the renewal pack I can't help but feel for the sake of a simple statement on the website the club has missed a trick here .

What a PR coup the two daves could have pulled off .........promoted , and rewarding the fans as promised .

Fingers crossed they'll do the right thing .
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Reading the subject on another forum there is a suggestion of a few claiming to know the deal on offer that it is not straight forward...

Discount of 20% spread over 4 years maybe? :lol: sounds like one of their ideas!!!!

It won't be 20% off I am almost positive OR they would have just announced it, the cloak & dagger routine just indicates they don't want it in the public domain if you ask me.

Again, I'd join any group wanting to take it further if it's not on the cards.
Gnome

Post by Gnome »

Well any deal other than offering us 20% off the cost of the 2012/13 season ticket would be a breach of the CPRs - unless of course they want to make it 30%! :lol:
clawhammer
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Awbis wrote:.

You see I am not sure it is as open and shut as you think'

Under retail Law a company has the right to change the terms of an offer at any time, I am not sure Contract Law has anything to do with this as it is a retail transaction and you do not have a signed copy of the contract. I think you are perhaps on the wrong track on this. You do not use a contract on your weekly shop do you?

As a Principle I think they should honour it, but do not think they have to.
There is no need to have a "signed" contract. There was an offer and an acceptance and a consideration (payment). they are the essential elements of a contract. We must not let this go!
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

Seen as us old timers (over 5 years etc) can renew online now and the prices are exactly the same for those who wish to take out a new season ticket for this season, I would therefore assume that the discount is not being applied otherwise they would have to offer us a refund.
I cannot imagine that the packages would be any different from the online process otherwise they should have told the ST holders NOT to renew online yet!

I have also noted that my '5 year plus' season ticket holder note has gone missing from my WHUFC logged on profile. It was there last week!

The whole thing is ridiculous really - I didn't renew solely on the basis that we would get our 3 ST's discounted this year, I would have renewed anyway. I can imagine it was a huge incentive for others though.

My gut feeling is that they will have to honour their word but I think it is going to be a little messy...
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Maybe we will get the cup games free?
Gnome

Post by Gnome »

Awbis wrote:You do not use a contract on your weekly shop do you?
Yes you do - every time you buy something you enter into a contract.

The price on the supermarket shelf of a packet of biscuits is an "invitation to treat". When you take the item to the till you effectively make an offer to the company to pay a certain amount for those biscuits. The supermarket accepts that offer. Your part of the contract is handing over the cash and the contract is complete when they hand over the biscuits. Contracts do not have to be evidenced in writing to be valid (except for certain specific types of contract such as loans secured on property).

In this particular case the issue with consumer law rather than contract law itself. Say you went into the same supermarket and, next to your usual brand of biscuit there's a different brand with a sticker on it that says "free £5 note on your next visit to the shop" if you buy this brand. You buy the biscuits and go back next week and give them the voucher for the free fiver only for them to tell you that they don't intend to honour the deal because it was a crap idea that will cost them too much.

The supermarket is guilty of breaking consumer law because they've caused you to make a purchasing decision based on false information.
Gnome

Post by Gnome »

upton girlie wrote: I didn't renew solely on the basis that we would get our 3 ST's discounted this year, I would have renewed anyway. I can imagine it was a huge incentive for others though....
The test is whether the statement "caused or was likely to cause the average buyer (my italics) to alter their purchasing behaviour"
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Are you suggesting that someone with a Finchy isn't an average buyer ????

:wink:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Really looking forward to renewing at the box office today .

I know the club is short of money , and cashflow is important to every business so I shall be happy to pay by cash , and am renewing early - to help the club in it's hour of need .This will save them the credit card processing fee and there will be no need for a booking fee as I am paying at the window .

Fortunately I was ok (ish) at maths at school and have precalculated the cost as £680 for a band 1 ticket , so I'll have the exact money on me .

Basis of calculation ( I remember that in the days I did my GCE'S , you got extra marks for showing your working out) .

£850 less 20% = £680 .

If one of the accountants on here could check that I would be grateful as I wish to avoid an embarassing scene at the window .

Now, some people have doubts that the Board will honour the five year pledge , but I have more faith in them than that .After all , if they stiff the fans on this how would anyone swallow the stories on the Olympic Stadium being suitable for football , and accept their word that a move there would result in cheaper tickets .

Anyway , hopefully I'll be one of the first to renew .The club need the money and I'm happy to help them out in their hour of need .

Tara , if you're reading this pop the kettle on around noon .
the_real_devonshire

Post by the_real_devonshire »

I read this thread with interest this morning. Also a 5 year+ ST holder so i feel my opinion is valid :D

I remember at the time when the 20% discount was used as incentive that I never thought they would go through with the promise. It will make very interesting reading from a legal point of view just how the new owners have to deal with it.

I feel for them slightly as it wasnt a promise that they made but also they have made a rod for their own back by not clarifying the point sooner. I think had we still been in the Championship a 20% discount would have crippled them but surely not now?

Its an insult to only offer 5% and if the literature has been altered then maybe they are addressing it. I shall tweet Mr Gold too just to add to the weight but i really dont hold out much hope!
Me ol china

Post by Me ol china »

I'm also a 5 year season ticket holder & if they were not going to honour this then they should have told us that when they first bought the club not just swept it under the carpet & hope no one notices