The Olympic Stadium: Poll V

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the plans by WHUFC's Board of Directors to move the Club to the Olympic Stadium?

Yes
65%
No
23%
Undecided
13%

Total votes: 970

gavrosh

Re: The Olympic Stadium: Poll V

Post by gavrosh »

Can someone post the number of votes of those previous polls, so we can see how representative they are?
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Also, depending on how its funded, isnt it likely that ticket prices will drop, considering the potential doubling of our capacity?
stickycotteepudding
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by stickycotteepudding »

Yes from me. I love The Boleyn Ground and has great memories but cannot help but think its the next natural step in our clubs development providing we can make the stadium how we need it to be for a proper football arena.

New stadium will lead to investment and better players and it's not farfetched to us challenging the big boys in 5-10 years time if all goes to plan.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

If we want to be a bigger club, we need a bigger stadium. It's a good business decision and it's still in our traditional catchment area.
loopyludo

Post by loopyludo »

I voted Yes in the polls until it was only a rental agreement, having been in the OS during the Olympics I am now firmly back in the Yes brigade.
Trevor Montana

Post by Trevor Montana »

I think hearing the noise from the fans during the Olypmics shows that the atmosphere shouldn't be an issue, the running track is obviously a problem but if they can sort it out then I'm in favour.

In response to the 'fortress' comment, how long ago was that actually the case? Nowadays opponents come to the Boleyn Ground saying 'if we keep it quiet early on the fans will get on their backs and they'll lose confidence'.
cockney boy

Post by cockney boy »

How far away from the touchline is your current seat at the Boleyn ? Compare that to where your seat would be using the same distance, (approx I know ) , in the OS. My guess is , even allowing for retractable seating, your seat will be in a far lower position than what your Boleyn seat is. Also , if you was to get one of the retractable seats to be nearer to the pitch, then you would be viewing the game from a very low position, as the trajectory of the retractable seating to the front row of the current OS stadium seating, would be so very shallow.
Leaving aside the history of the Hammers at the Boleyn ground, ( and I have been going for 63 years ), I think that the decision on moving to the OS is going to be so very important. As has been said before on this thread, after the honeymoon period has worn off, if our fans just do not feel comfortable in this type of stadium, and stop going on a regular basis as they do at the moment then the club we love would have problems.
So, I think that we have to wait for the plans to be made public. Then I think that current season ticket holders should be invited in sections per stand, to the OS to evaluate where they would like their seat to be, and to be able to form an opinion on playing in the OS.
ironworks41

Post by ironworks41 »

Well,
we have got to go somewhere, might as well be the OS,with a bit of change. After all
I cant' remember all this fuss when we moved to Hermit Road, which had a cycle track
Was'nt the original ground up by Becton near Gallions Reach.Bet they had the same arguments then.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:i prefer fortress upton park - i used to love hearing that opposition players hated coming to our ground - then again so did the oppositions fans

nothing more intimidating than running the gauntlet of hate from the station to the ground
The Boleyn, god bless it, ain't been a fortress for a long time. I think that's why it makes it easier for me to be open to leaving. That and the thought that 50k+ in a well-developed new stadium could well be a more intimidating atmosphere than the current Boleyn one
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

I've voted Yes from the start as long as we get the stadium converted as the Board want.
There is no point them not having it as they want as a half empty stadium will not help their investment prosper. I maybe foolish but I trust them to get it right.
Haven't been inside the Stadium but my Dad 70 has twice & Brother 35 once. They both said the Stadium could work & I trust them 100%. So that's 3 of us for Yes but they are not members so only 1 vote in Poll.
West Ham Till We Die. :crest:
Bzzz

Post by Bzzz »

After some thinking, I voted no
We would be renting the stadium, so what happens if we get kicked out and we've sold Upton Park, we would be in the sh*t. I doubt we would fill it on a regular basis, we would be the laughing stock of the premier league if we had an average attendance of 40k.
I've actually met one of the people in charge of building the stadium and they said it was built to be torn down to a 20-25k stadium. The stadium is not ready for a football team.

However it could be a good if:
- West Ham know they can stay there for the long term
- Tickets are as cheap as ****
- The OS can have Stade de France type seats that can close in around the pitch.
hammer4life0506

Post by hammer4life0506 »

YES
claretpaulo

Post by claretpaulo »

Still a no from me, and until the stadium looks and feels like a proper home for West Ham United it will always be a no. They can draw up the most astonishing plans they like, it doesn't mean it will end up like that, i'm quite sure the plans for the Boleyn redevelopment didn't originally include a lop-sided pitch with goal-mouths off centre to the ends behind them.
Do we need to move, hell yeah, I used to love the Boleyn unfortunately it isn't the same ground that I used to love, and it disappoints me that frankly I now view it as an embarrassment, I just don't want us to lurch into an even bigger one.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Assuming some form of on the track seating and nothing too untoward in the lease then it's Yes.
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

Loving those previous votes - yes, no, yes, no - and looks like this one will follow the pattern.

It's swinging because we don't have details and without those who the hell knows exactly what we're getting into? Therefore, these votes are really nothing more than an in principle debate about moving out of Boleyn ground or not. Which makes the swings surprising as I would have thought everyone would have clear opinions on that.

I read that .gov has 130 mill put aside for alterations. That should go a long way to addressing any issues we might have.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

No for a fith time.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

No.
Going in the stadium didn't change my view that I don't want to leave Upton Park or that we need to, but that if we have to move it should only be to a stadium owned by the club that is designed for football.
cockneyboy21

Post by cockneyboy21 »

No once again from me, I went to watch the paraolympics and the simple reason its not a football stadium and it wont become a proper football stadium with retractable seating, it will feel plastic and like a temporary home. Personally i cannot stand new stadiums, they have no character and no soul, the emirates feels like your going to the cinema not watching a football match, I like older stadiums, goodison park, fratton park and the Boleyn as they still have a bit of character about them.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Some Clubs do lose something when they move to a new Stadium but if it isn't feasible as their new home in terms of actual location, comfort or general ambience then they've only got themselves to blame. This whole situation must have been so frustrating for you as fans but I think it's now clear that the Olympic Stadium is capable of hosting sport - with everyone I know who went there being pleased with the experience. If (and I mean if) football is going to be enjoyed there properly then West Ham must move.

Upton Park is a great ground and one of the true football ones in London but times change and we change with them.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

And may i add, the only people who want to move are on the net, nobody around my season ticket seat wants to move, i've spoken to loads of people at mathes and in the boozers after and i still ain't talked to anyone who does want to move.