The Olympic Stadium: Poll V

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the plans by WHUFC's Board of Directors to move the Club to the Olympic Stadium?

Yes
65%
No
23%
Undecided
13%

Total votes: 970

Aceface
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 1444 likes

Re: The Olympic Stadium: Poll V

Post by Aceface »

I've ticked 'undecided' yet again, but I definitely lean in favour of the move.

As has always been the case, I can't say yes until I know more. If we're paying £10m rent a year, there's no (or badly thought out) seating over the track, or we're sharing with Orient, then I'd be happy to stay where we are. If these issues are resolved satisfactorily, then I think it will open up a new future to us. Whether that that future is one that is good or bad remains to be seen, but we've been on the same trajectory as a club for a long, long time.....might be time to give it a nudge and see where it takes us
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 324 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I would like to move. But I would only like to move if the Club is allowed to redevelop it in a manner which reflects a Soccer Stadium. The vast majority of Clubs which played in Stadia with a full running track were based in mainland Europe, and the more I see of these Clubs on the TV or Internet, the more I realise how obsolete such an idea is, as these Clubs no longer seem to play with a running track around the perimenter. The pitch needs to be brought significantly closer to the Stands. (I am open to correction on the plans, as I am taking my views from the original plan, which was to keep the track.)

If we can get the Stadium on those terms then I would agree. Most teams have engaged in a proper renovation job of their own stadia, or moved from their original home. It is a wretch to leave, but the benefits of the Olympic Stadium could be great, including any revenue generated by future use, which we will never have as long as we stay at Upton Park.
Der-Hammer

Post by Der-Hammer »

no. and I know it's selfish but I just don't want to imagine the West Ham i've grown up with not playing at the Boleyn.
lowestoft hammer

Post by lowestoft hammer »

mjustincredible wrote: looks like from the number of people voting yes, so many people have fallen for the clubs spin and how great it is going to be.
I think you mean "Many people have been to the stadium and now have an informed opinion"
BMLGirl
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

Undecided - want to see plans re seating etc before I can form a definite opinion. Still, it's irrelevant what we think, isn't it - if West Ham get the nod we will be moving whether the fans want to or not!
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 324 likes

Post by Het-Field »

lowestoft hammer wrote:I think you mean "Many people have been to the stadium and now have an informed opinion"
History is a wonderful thing, and people will retain a great sense of tradition and loyalty to an area which it spends years in.

However, when you think about it, Manchester City, Sunderland, Bolton Wanderers, Arsenal, Derby County, and Southampton all broke ranks with hundreds of years of history and moved. It would also appear that moves are on the cards for Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham Hotspur. Clubs like Manchester United, Newcastle United, Aston Villa, and Chelsea only managed to stay put on the basis of co-ordinated redevelopment plans.

On the otherhand, our redevelopment has been cack-handed to say the least. Yes, we were relegated in 2003, and re-plunged into financial disarray in 2008, before another relegation in 2011, however, if our plans had been co-ordinated properly since 1994, it might have protected Upton Park. We must move with the times, and if Upton Park can no longer facilitate the Clubs needs, than alternatives must be sought.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

"Do you support the plans by WHUFC's Board of Directors to move the Club to the Olympic Stadium?"

:eh:

- Can someone please tell me what the plans actually are before I vote?

-- Do they include Demountable/Retractable Seating around all 4 sides of the pitch or not?

Thanks!
Last edited by WestHamIFC on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Yes, we need to and I believe it will be a great home for us.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

lowestoft hammer wrote:I think you mean "Many people have been to the stadium and now have an informed opinion"
I don't think he did....
Informed about what though?

I haven't been, but I watched the Olympics on TV, and can see it's an absolutely fantastic stadium. Before the Olympics I had no idea (apart from the various photos posted on here throughout the building phase) what the stadium would be like. I (as I imagine do those people who did go to the stadium) have a much clearer idea of what the stadium is like... as an Olympic stadium.
As a football stadium, I am none the wiser
WestHamIFC wrote:.
"Do you support the plans by WHUFC's Board of Directors to move the Club to the Olympic Stadium?"

:eh:

- Can someone please tell me what the plans actually are before I vote?
That's the crux of it, imo
The question asks "Do you support the plans....".
A bit tough to answer really, as no one actually knows what the plans are
tall paul
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by tall paul »

Voted undecided, can't do anything else till I see some plans
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2406 likes
Total likes: 2614 likes

Post by sendô »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:Still undecided...

For me the devil is in the details. Sure, it's a fantastic stadium, and sure, it will a wrench to leave the Boleyn.... I can see the pluses and the negatives. I guess I'm edging towards favouring the move

But until we know, for sure, what is going to happen around such issues as retractable seating/distance to the pitch and what we plan/are allowed to do to make it our home, I'll have to stay sat on the fence
^^^ Pretty much this. I'm against it until I can find out the proper details. I don't like the sound of watching us in some half empty soundless bowl.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

voted no

it will be soulless there and i prefer fortress upton park - i used to love hearing that opposition players hated coming to our ground - then again so did the oppositions fans

nothing more intimidating than running the gauntlet of hate from the station to the ground
Yorkshire 'ammer

Post by Yorkshire 'ammer »

Yes.
stevejnr64

Post by stevejnr64 »

Yes from me

We have to move on from the boleyn
Surrounding area is a tip
35k is a little small
And we cannot re-build the chicken run (apparently)

Although I have said 'Yes' I do think 60k may be a tiny bit too much.
And I'm not one for having too many away supporters.
But I think the OS is a step in the right direction.
I'm putting my neck on the line to say I have faith in the two Dave's, and cannot wait to see the plans for the OS.
Anyway onwards and upwards.

COYI
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Hammers vice-chairman Karren Brady said any move was conditional on the stadium being "fit for world-class football".

When they show me what that looks like I will vote yes or no...... Until then, I am in the camp marked undecided because at the moment it is still an athletics stadium..

I cant see how people can just vote blindly one way or another tbh! :oops:
Knaphill

Post by Knaphill »

Yes, on the basis that it's converted properly to a football stadium and that tickets are more reasonably priced - full priced WBA adult season ticket's start from £349 - so should ours if we move to the OS.
china hammer

Post by china hammer »

No
Heysel76
Has liked: 214 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Voted Yes to the PLAN overall, but still have a few concerns about seating
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Yes. When converted the setting and transport links will be better than Wembley. We have to move or settle for being a second rate club forever. Our potential is to be as big as Arsenal so we should not settle for being Fulham.
wilson92

Post by wilson92 »

This is the first poll I could partake in and I voted yes. Previously was undecided but having watched the Olympics on tv and heard reviews from others (I was not fortunate enough to go myself) the stadium sounds excellent, and with retractable seating and decent ticket pricing I think we can really make this our home! :crest: