Did anyone on here see Hurst, Peters and Moore play for WH?

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

BoleynBob

Re: Did anyone on here see Hurst, Peters and Moore play for WH?

Post by BoleynBob »

One of my earliest memories of West Ham was the 8-0 win over Sunderland. Hursty scored 6 in that game three in each half. I think he admitted to punching the first one in (a diving header). Also remembered wins against Leicester & QPR, around that time 4-0 & 4-3 if my memory serves me.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Yes. Saw all 3 play together many times. Golden days. And it's always been a real mystery me as to why the club didn't build on those 3 and the success of the mid 60's. Sounds implausible now to younger ones, but for a time we were probably the most famous club in Britain.

:eh:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Up the Junction wrote: 27th September 1969: Man Utd 5-2 West Ham Utd ... we lined up Ferguson, Bonds, Lampard, Howe, Stephenson, Moore, Lindsay, Redknapp, Peters, Best, Hurst (who scored both our goals).
See , I couldn't even remember the proper score ! I remember Bobby Charlton being there as well as George Best and Ian Ure who was being skinned by Clyde Best [ well at least twice ! as I'm sure both goals were more or less the same , 2 crosses from the right by Best for Hurst to score ] .
Stephenson was built like a giraffe and played like one too , if only we'd had a quality centre half to play along side Moore then we'd have been a much better team .
Thanks , UTJ .
torquayiron

Post by torquayiron »

Was a regular at west ham from 1964 onwards standing on the north bank.Used to bunk off school in barking just to hang around the ground.Some great clips on youtube.1964 final " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and sheff utd 1966 with moore peters and hurst " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; times.
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Yes I saw them play many times. That's when I got hooked on the hammers. Great football. We still didn't win much though :think:
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

Bit of a nerdy question,but does anyone know(or have the nous to work out),how many times they all appeared together for WHU??
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Yes, and saw all three play some piss poor games as well.
I've got curly hair too

Post by I've got curly hair too »

My first game - October 1967 v Man City. All 3 played in a 2-1 win. 2-0 up at half time and we were walking it, then City scored and we wer hanging on til the end. I think that Hursty and Peters scored our goals that day. Memory's in black nad white now, but I recall that the star of the show was Bonzo playing at right back with Harry in front of him. I was sat on a crush barrier in the south bank by my old man, only game that he ever went to.

It's all his fault!
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

So there are probably people on here who saw a WHU team with Moore,Hurst and Peters play a Man Utd team with Best,Charlton and Law.That is worth the entrance money.
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

Saw them all play in my first Boleyn game, Nov 1968, a 4-0 home win against Leicester. I stood on a wooden stool thing in the Chicken Run, brought to the game by my big cousin...hence my name! I didn't realize then, being a young lad, what a privilege it was to see these great players.
ChikinRun
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ChikinRun »

ludo22 wrote:So there are probably people on here who saw a WHU team with Moore,Hurst and Peters play a Man Utd team with Best,Charlton and Law.That is worth the entrance money.
I was at the home game in March 1969, a 0-0 draw. Add Brooking to our iconic trio for that game...deffo remember George Best was playing, can't remember any of the other manure players. 41, 500 odd at the game!
Hainault Hammer

Post by Hainault Hammer »

ChikinRun wrote:Saw them all play in my first Boleyn game, Nov 1968, a 4-0 home win against Leicester. I stood on a wooden stool thing in the Chicken Run, brought to the game by my big cousin...hence my name! I didn't realize then, being a young lad, what a privilege it was to see these great players.
Wow . I think that was the game Peters scored a fantastic volley from a long diagonal cross from John Sissons. Voted one of, if not the goal of the season . Happy days
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

ludo22 wrote:So there are probably people on here who saw a WHU team with Moore,Hurst and Peters play a Man Utd team with Best,Charlton and Law.That is worth the entrance money.

Ahem......
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

ChikinRun wrote:Saw them all play in my first Boleyn game, Nov 1968, a 4-0 home win against Leicester. I stood on a wooden stool thing in the Chicken Run, brought to the game by my big cousin...hence my name! I didn't realize then, being a young lad, what a privilege it was to see these great players.
Hainault Hammer wrote:
Wow . I think that was the game Peters scored a fantastic volley from a long diagonal cross from John Sissons. Voted one of, if not the goal of the season . Happy days
I was there too. Peters won the ball in our own penalty area, gave it to Sissons on the left wing then sprinted like Usain Bolt down the middle. Sissons crossed it back to Peters who volleyed it past Shilton from the edge of the area still going at full gallop.

If I remember rightly it won Goal of the Season on The Big Match.
saltney hammers

Post by saltney hammers »

Yes I was lucky enough as a kid to see them on many an occasion and what a joy they were to watch sitting on the wall by corner of chicken run and the north bank, Mooro was sheer class,always had time and space never looked rushed

And I once kicked the ball to him after it had gone into north bank and been thrown back near the corner flag. As he came over to get it (no ball boys then) on I went to save him the bother, got a right telling off from me old man, great memories wish we had them now.

Fortunes always hiding :lol:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I was a 13 year old boy from Anglesey , the most people I'd ever seen together were probably on Bangor main street when I went shopping with my Mam and Dad , so seeing 55,000 and having to walk through them outside Old Trafford was a very frightening thing for me , and when we got inside it was difficult to see everything happening on the pitch , being only a little lad , but at least I can say I went .
I was with another 13 year old lad and a 18 year old who had taken us there , they were both Man Utd and there was little me , scared and in awe at the same time .
Another mate of mine's uncle was a steward at Goodison Park , so it was there that I went mostly when I was young , and believe it or not I managed to persuade our sports teacher at school to take a bus load of school kids from Amlwch to Everton to watch West Ham at an evening match as well . We lost 1-0 , it was early 70s .Happy Days .
It was only when I moved to Herts to study at Hatfield Poly and later to settle down in Potters Bar to live and work that I went to see us on a regular basis .
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Watford Hammer wrote:I remember my older brother who at the time followed Spuds coming into my bedroom one Saturday morning whilst I was in bed reading my newly delivered Shoot! magazine. I was 10 years old and he reeled me in by telling me that West ham had signed Jimmy Greaves. I was really pleased and it was only then he had great delight in teling me that Martin Peters had gone in the opposite direction. I know I was really upset and shed a tear or two that morning.
Remember it well! the day before he signed I got home from school and there was a small package waiting for me, inside it was nothing but a Spurs Tie? then next morning before school the newspaper arrived with the news Martin had signed for Spurs and Jimmy had come our way. Yes I did continue with his fan club and watched a few of their games, but my Heart was only ever in one place :crest:
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

I've got curly hair too wrote:My first game - October 1967 v Man City. All 3 played in a 2-1 win. 2-0 up at half time and we were walking it, then City scored and we wer hanging on til the end. I think that Hursty and Peters scored our goals that day. Memory's in black nad white now, but I recall that the star of the show was Bonzo playing at right back with Harry in front of him. I was sat on a crush barrier in the south bank by my old man, only game that he ever went to.

It's all his fault!

Quite a famous game that, City won the championship that season, to be over shadowed by their neighbours European Cup exploits

The pre-match paper talk was all about West Ham scoring from near post crosses, and how Mercer & Allison were going to combat it. 20 minutes in West Ham were 2-0 up, and playing them off the park, Peters cross to Hurst at the near post and then a reverse Hurst to Peters at the near post, they seemed to have a telepathic understanding those two, and scored over 40 goals between them that season,
After the game Uncle Ron in pompous mode, because he could be very pompous after a good win merely said "You can't legislate for Genius"
Rockhampton Hammer
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Rockhampton Hammer »

beckton wrote:I saw Bobby Moore play, possibly for a world XI against a celebrity team at East Ham Utd. The only other participants I can remember were George Best and the comedian Marty Feldman.

Around about the late 70's.
My uncle was either Chairman or President of East Ham at that time,all our family functions were at the clubrooms
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Hainault Hammer wrote:Wow . I think that was the game Peters scored a fantastic volley from a long diagonal cross from John Sissons. Voted one of, if not the goal of the season . Happy days
From KUMB's 100 Greatest West Ham Moments (see no.45 and video):

http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=2974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;