Did anyone on here see Hurst, Peters and Moore play for WH?

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Re: Did anyone on here see Hurst, Peters and Moore play for WH?

Post by WHU Independent »

Yup, the first game I saw WHU V's a celebrity team had them playing and I saw them many times after that.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Yes thank you. Saw them play for us loads of times. Even saw all 3 of 'em make their debuts.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

yes.saw them in a 4-3 home victory v QPR(1968) with ALL 3 of them scoring ! other goal was scored by Redknapp. :crest:
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Yep although not often. My dad took me along late in 1964 (when I was 6) but he died in 1966 after a long illness which meant I then relied on older family friends and relatives taking me until the early 70s, which only happened once a season or so.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Yep, saw all three play together many a time. Saw Brooking and Bonds too. Harry got it right when he said you could tell how bad "the rest of us were" when even though we had three World Cup winners in the side, we were still no good.

As a name-dropping aside, I played golf on Wednesday with Les Barrett, the Fulham winger who played in the 1975 Cup Final against West Ham (I was there), with Moore playing for Fulham. He said he was a "lovely man".
iron57

Post by iron57 »

I started going at the beginning of the 1967/8 season so I was lucky enough to see all 3 in claret & blue. Sadly I don't think I was old enough to really appreciate them as a trio as Peters left & we got a p*sshead in exchange. I remember Hurst making runs to the near post and he was my hero after his 6 against Sunderland. I remember Bobby Moore really well though. He was a bit special by anyone's standards. He seemed to me to be unbeatable. He rarely went to ground. He just seemed to suck the opposing player in, then take the ball off him. It looked so easy. In posession he was also superb. He frequently started our most meaningful attacks. We all have our opinions but I believe he is certainly one of the top 3 or 4 players in my lifetime.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

Yes.

Moore was an obvious talent from the start (in fact, before he made the first team), Hurst less so (despite Under-23 caps) though he certainly blossomed when switched from midfield to striker (to use today's parlance). I wasn't sure of Peters in his pre-first-team days but in a just few years he proved a revelation - Malcolm Allison said he was 20 years ahead of his time which was mocked by many 'pundits' and so-called experts at the time but which I came to believe was an accurate description.

The Moore-Hurst combination was intuitive, first class. Peters was capable of doing the works on his own or in concert with any of the other players.

I should also mention the way Johnny Byrne brought out the best in Hurst.
bongo
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by bongo »

Yes

My first game was Chelsea away, Was in the seats with my parents and brother as it was a birthday treat,

As an eleven year old I had one eye on the fighting in the Shed :D

As I recall the game ended 1.1 with Tambling scoring for them after about 2 minutes and Peters equalising with 10 to go.
iron57

Post by iron57 »

Ted Fenton wrote:Yes.

I should also mention the way Johnny Byrne brought out the best in Hurst.
I wasn't lucky enough to see Johnny Byrne play. I remember him being held in high regard by the older fans though. The same with Jim Standen, but we'd just signed Bobby Ferguson when I started going.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Puff Daddy wrote:Yes thank you. Saw them play for us loads of times. Even saw all 3 of 'em make their debuts.
:?
Hainault Hammer

Post by Hainault Hammer »

Definiteley agree with Ted Fenton about Johnny Byrne .

Without a doubt the best strike partnership the clubs had in the last 50 years. .(in my opinion of course )
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

Yes ............many times my only regret we didn't build around them and go on to bigger and better things.
If you read Bobby Moore's book he suggested players to buy but nothing came of it . They did buy John Cushley but in his first game his first tackle left the center forward in a heap but at half time Bobby Moore says Ron Greenwood told John Cushley they didn't do things like that at West Ham and Bobby said after that John Cushley didnt make another tackle for West ham.
Apart from seeing them at U P I used to go over Chadwell Heath and they would acknowledge us along with the other players and sign our scrap book's etc.
Very glad to have been around then............ happy day's .
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

In Hurst's autobiography he states how much he learned from Budgie and how playing alongside him brought out the best in himself.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

My first game was Man Utd v West Ham in 1969 . I remember seeing Hurst and Clyde Best , Moore would have been there as well as Peters but I would have to check an old programme for the original line up as I honestly can't remember . . I was little [ still am ] at 13 and I couldn't see much , but I did see both of Hurst's goals [ we lost 4-2 ] .

I remember the near post goals that became a speciality between Peters and Hurst [ apparently devised by Ron Greenwood ] but only on the telly , the BBC commentator would rave about them .
I was heartbroken when Peters left for Tottenham .
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Watched Moore play for Fulham against us at Craven Cottage.
0 - 0 as I remember.
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

davids cross wrote:Moore & Hurst yes, both played in my debut at The Boleyn.

Never saw Peters, he was gone (same as the brain^^ described)
Same for me too.
ManInTheIronsMask.
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ManInTheIronsMask. »

Hammer Smith wrote:Watched Moore play for Fulham against us at Craven Cottage.
0 - 0 as I remember.
We lost 2-1. League Cup 3rd round.
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

one of my greatest ever hammers memories is the 1st game of the 1966 season, before the game started sir Bobby, sir Geoffrey & sir Martin were presented to the crowd as the world cup winning trio with the world cup, i can remember as an 11 year old unashamedly crying my eyes out with pride & when i looked round my old dad was in tears too along with about 30,000 other people.
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

Yes I had the privalage of seeing all 3 play for my beloved team Peters was the complete footballer, play in any position deceptive turn of speed over a couple of yards. Hurst puffing and blowing, best holder of the ball we've had at centre forward, Nearest thing we ever got to him was Dean Ashton great pity that.
Moore: couldn't head the ball , couldn't run, didn't need to. Best footballer I've ever seen anf there were a few around at that time. I had the pleasure of playing against Mooro when he was playing for Leyton School boys, absolute crap ( me that is, not God)
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

the oldham stripper wrote:one of my greatest ever hammers memories is the 1st game of the 1966 season, before the game started sir Bobby, sir Geoffrey & sir Martin were presented to the crowd as the world cup winning trio with the world cup, i can remember as an 11 year old unashamedly crying my eyes out with pride & when i looked round my old dad was in tears too along with about 30,000 other people.
I recall this match too, we lost it 2-1 to Sheffield Wednesday. No wonder your old dad was in tears afterwards