Transfer Window: January 2013

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

RM6

Re: January Transfer Activity (If any)

Post by RM6 »

orbital wrote: I hope you never get to see a nude women, I reckon you might spotaneously combust!
If I saw a nude woman and Ryan Shawcross both in claret and blue body paint at a Ryan Shawcross signs for West Ham press conference all matter in the universe would cease to exist.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Re: January Transfer Activity (If any)

Post by vietnammer »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:Carroll will be a worry though, but I do like Sams plan for him to score nothing until after the transfer window.
:lol:

Green on loan as cover for Jussi?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Re: January 2013 Transfer Chat

Post by fjthegrey »

All that excitement for a player as average as Shawcross?

Imagine if we actually signed someone who was better than what we already had?
TurnbullHammer

Post by TurnbullHammer »

Who's going away to AFCON?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I'm pretty happy with what we have, providing no long term injuries.

If we keep the pony tailed one, then we are set for forwards and our midfield is good. Although I would try and tie down Yossi on a perm.

If there is some money (left) it should all go into the back five (not that they have done badly, they have over achieved for me). A decent FB to give Linda competition, although I would play Taylor there if needed, and one more CB, plus another decent goalkeeper would be the cherry on top.

Away from transfers, SA contract / the board will be interesting to watch.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

TurnbullHammer wrote:Who's going away to AFCON?
Is that the Anton Ferdinand Convention?
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Unless there is a long term injury or severe loss of form to a key player,or the fear of relegation- there will be no" first eleven signings",imo - Even then they would most probably be loan signings.
The ideal situation,imo, would be us pretty much safe from relegation and so we could look to the future and nick a few talented youngsters and give a few of ours a taste of Premier League football, whilst offloading a few fringe players to the "desperates".If we stay up, most of our available funds will be needed to retain AC and to sign a GK in the summer.
TurnbullHammer

Post by TurnbullHammer »

:lol:
I'd be a bit disappointed if any of our players missed the second half of the season to attend a month long Anton Ferdinand convention. To each there own..
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by fester »

Ashley Cole or Fabio Da Silva
Brede Hangeland
Paulo Ferreira
Henrique Hilario
Romelu Lukaku
Jason Puncheon

Apolgies to self for Chelsea links. Think I may well have identified QPR targets.

We need to get Winston Reid to sign a new contract.
Knaphill

Post by Knaphill »

With Collison on the long term sick and Henderson loaned out, I'd be happy if we just loaned in a CM & an experienced GK to act as cover. Other than that, then maybe a new striker if Carlton gets sold.

# we've still not seen Diarra so he's going to be like a new Jan signing when/if he ever get's fit :thup:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Knaphill wrote: # we've still not seen Diarra so he's going to be like a new Jan signing when/if he ever get's fit :thup:
Bugger me, I have forgotten all about this fella.

Any dates for the return of him and Collison?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

What about a cheeky bid for Cristiano Ronaldo ?
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Quite simply...

If significantly better players* than what we have, who are realistic targets, become available for any position we should look to buy them :lol:

We are not world beaters yet and should always look to improve.

*... I don't mean Rob Green who is not significantly better than Jussi
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

For now, there are no real glaring holes to fill - for the first time in a long time. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't feel we can strengthen further if the money is there in an effort to kick on and secure a high finish. It's certainly a good position to be shopping in - I doubt Soton are about to get a bargain deal for a central defender for instance, because their need is so obvious to anyone negotiating with them.

I suspect the fate of the OS may have a bearing on whether we have any bunse to burn. Personally I'd be scouting for a long-term first choice GK. Whether Jussi remains first choice for this season or not, he's almost 40 - we're going to need someone sooner or later.

I'm a big fan of George McCartney, but Jose Enrique was outstanding when he was at Newcastle - the best LB outside the top 4. Whether he can recapture that form again is a serious question mark, but if there's any chance of getting him for the prices bandied around in the papers it's worth a punt.

G&S and Sam have to decide what happens with Carlton's future this window - they're not going to want to let him go for free like Green at the end of the season, and they don't seem inclined to give him a new contract. Some sort of exchange deal for Stockdale at Fulham?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Non-WHU, but anyone wonder what QPR are going to do in January? Good sense suggest buying so many players in the last 3 windows is what's caused many of their problems, yet instinct suggests they could be dim enough to try buying their way out of a hole once again
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

If the funds are there, a quality left back, an experienced keeper to challenge Jussi, and more importantly, put the Carroll situation to bed and sign him permanently. He looks happy on the pitch, he looks happy in his interviews, especially with Nolan. Hopefully a few goals before Jan and some positive results against the big teams and we'll be able to convince him if we haven't already.

Happy at centre back, Reid, Tomkins and Collins with Diarra if he is ever fit able to slot in. Even O'Brien/Spence at a push if desperate. That situation would require a number of injuries.

Right back is reasonably covered with Demel, O'Brien and Spence/Tonks at a push with injuries.

Centre midfield we have Noble, Diame, Nolan, O'Neil, Benayoun, Diarra, Collison who can all play in the middle of the park if neccessary. We're stretched a little due to two injuries but that situation should improve.

Out wide we have Jarvis, Taylor, Benayoun, Vaz Te. Maiga at a push if lots of injuries, plus Rob Hall pushing on.

Lone striker Carroll, Cole, Maiga is enough but perhaps a loan move for a forward to plug a gap if neccessary.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Just found out that our old friend Ruud Boffin is doing a fine job at Eskisehirspor who currently sit third in the top Turkish league, having conceded 13 in 10 games. Funny, how much goalkeepers grow in confidence once you allow them to play a succession of games instead of the odd cup match.

I'm not saying we should bring him back, but he certainly looks like a capable goaltender once you give him a run of games and allow him to settle in. If he was such a **** keeper I doubt that he'd still play in goal for Eskisehirspor and I doubt they'd be in third place.
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

If nothing surprisingly shows up (like a monster keeper), I'd be happy with just a more LB.

Why should we need more CB's? Tomkins, Reid and Collins will be enough when not injured. If so, we'll (hopefully) have Diarra back soon. O'Brien, Spence, Demel and Linda can all fill in. That is 8 players! Should be enough! ;-)

Reid's new contract should be our first aim.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

PrinceH wrote:
Reid's new contract should be our first aim.
Hammered1

Post by Hammered1 »

PrinceH wrote:Reid's new contract should be our first aim.
Wasn't aware his contract is up for renewal, but yes his signature is hopefully the first thing we should be doing, the way he has improved and matured into a premiership class CH is some what miraculous when comparing his performances under Grant. :crest: