Transfer Window: January 2013

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

westhamirish

Re: The January 2013 transfer window

Post by westhamirish »

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... any-offers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We should get in on this. Quality goalkeeper!!
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Reckon any chance of Tottenham being in for Diame, Sandro's out for the season, I know they have plenty of other cms but most of them haven't played tons of top level games like Livermore, Townsend, Huddlestone is their only experienced backup and he's not simliar to Diame or Sandro, Parker's playing currently but they may want more depth.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

westhamirish wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... any-offers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We should get in on this. Quality goalkeeper!!
In that once sentence you've summed up why we're not going to sign him, add in he probably has big wages.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

I can also see a situation where Big Sam keeps us up (only just), we secure the OS and the owners decide a more attack minded younger manager is the better option for West Ham long term. We have a decent squad of players already (bit unlucky with injuries though), but Big Sam has to play his best available XI and he has to stop tinkering with playing players out of position. And Nolan hasn't really given the appearance of a natural leader on the pitch lately.
Last edited by HamburgHammer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

Puff Daddy wrote:
I don't think all is well at the club and I also think there is developing friction between Sam and the board too. If you listen carefully to Sam's comments, the clues are there. Only this morning on the radio, there was a carefully worded swipe at them. " We have been trying to sign a couple of defenders for the past, (erm, I would say) 2 weeks, but the issue is players / finance, finance / players and it is now getting desperate". Read into that what you like, but I know what my take on that is. I also believe his team selection last night was another coded message to them that he is managing a paper thin squad and that he needs replacements and he needs them fast.
I would read it as 'We have approached one or two players but their wages demands have been too high'
but hey, its much more exiting to suggest Sam has fallen out with the board
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

fmgod wrote:Reckon any chance of Tottenham being in for Diame, Sandro's out for the season, I know they have plenty of other cms but most of them haven't played tons of top level games like Livermore, Townsend, Huddlestone is their only experienced backup and he's not simliar to Diame or Sandro, Parker's playing currently but they may want more depth.
No... they didn't go out and buy when they realised Parker was out for the first half of the season; I can't see why they would replace a less influential player in the same position for the same reason
westhamirish

Post by westhamirish »

I just think the higher wages are worth it for such an important position. Goalkeepers win you points on their own just look at cesar last weekend. If Green was in goal we would of won. A good keeper also installs confidence in your back 4 and at the moment we are starting to lack the confidence we had at the start of the season.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double quote removed.
westlondonhammer

HamburgHammer wrote:I can also see a situation where Big Sam keeps us up (only just), we secure the OS and the owners decide a more attack minded younger manager is the better option for West Ham long term.
I bet you we don't
HamburgHammer wrote:We have a decent squad of players already (bit unlucky with injuries though), but Big Sam has to play his best available XI and he has to stop tinkering with playing players out of position. And Nolan hasn't really given the appearance of a natural leader on the pitch lately.
Yesterday he wasn't tinkering he was playing a team who was the fittest team he could put out. Similar to what he has been doing for the last few months.

Nolan is crucial to this team in so many ways.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

TurnbullHammer wrote:From an apparently reliable Arsenal source on twitter.

@GeoffArsenal
Forget about Diame. Not happening
Aiming a lot higher than Diame but finding it difficult in this window for the obvious reasons. Still working hard.
They've finally rekindled their interest in NRC?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

[quote="Kendal Iron" ]

I would read it as 'We have approached one or two players but their wages demands have been too high'
but hey, its much more exiting to suggest Sam has fallen out with the board[/quote]

It is not a matter of excitement, but hey, you believe what you want to believe. At no point have I said, he has fallen out with the board. What I said is, "I think there is developing friction between him and the board. I might be proven wrong, it is only what I suspect, we shall see
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Logarithm wrote:In that very same interview he says explicitly he doesn't have a problem with the board and he fully understands the situation. He is just annoyed because he wants a player and he hasn't got one.
Reading between the lines there, you can tell that he's unhappy with David Gold's hairstyle and regrets a recent choice of dessert at a boardroom luncheon.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

westhamerica wrote: Anyone working in the field of football statistics will be the first to tell you that possession percentage is ultimately a pointless stat that only TV productions and fans continue to deem relevant.
This will probably get lost among the transfer stuff but on the off chance you see it. What stats do matter in football? What stats provide an accurate judgement on what you can expect from an individual player?
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

westlondonhammer wrote: No... they didn't go out and buy when they realised Parker was out for the first half of the season; I can't see why they would replace a less influential player in the same position for the same reason
Less influential? He has been one of Spurs best players this season and does alot more than mr. sideways pass for them.
westlondonhammer

D C wrote:Less influential? He has been one of Spurs best players this season and does alot more than mr. sideways pass for them.
Wasn't Parker their fans player of the year last year!

You don't feel the need for him to be replaced going into a season than I see no reason why you replace a player in the same position just as that player is back.

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what YOUR opinion of the player may be.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

If,Big Sam hinted that a club is after Diame & its not Arsenal,then I would not be atall surprised if its QPR :arry:

They will chuck him 70k pw & Harry will will convince him that we'll be champions league in 3yrs.
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:If,Big Sam hinted that a club is after Diame & its not Arsenal,then I would not be atall surprised if its QPR :arry:

They will chuck him 70k pw & Harry will will convince him that we'll be champions league in 3yrs.
Momo love QPR.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Birmingham City have cut the initial asking price for goalkeeper Jack Butland, 19, to £3.5million in a bid to generate interest from Premier League clubs. He will be allowed to leave the club this month.
Full story: Daily Telegraph
At that price he has to be worth a go.

I also reckon it's 'Arry who's in for Diame.
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

fmgod wrote:Reckon any chance of Tottenham being in for Diame, Sandro's out for the season, I know they have plenty of other cms but most of them haven't played tons of top level games like Livermore, Townsend, Huddlestone is their only experienced backup and he's not simliar to Diame or Sandro, Parker's playing currently but they may want more depth.
Spurs have already agreed a deal with Schalke for Lewis Holtby for the summer - if they feel they need another midfielder after Sandro's injury, he's the one they'll pay to bring in now rather than waiting for the summer. Holtby's departure from the pitch when he substituted last weekend also looked like he was saying goodbye to the fans there. Can't see them coming in for Diame.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Spurs have made an offer to Schalke to bring the move forward.

Hammers fail in loan bid for Bertrand

This must be made up nonsense unless we do have a return option on Andy Carroll.
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

Westcliff Hammer wrote:lets face it, we won't be getting anyone in. For the first time in Sam's reign he has some difficult decisions to make Nolan has to be dropped. If im wrong about not getting anyone in and we do. Tomkins has to go he is ****ing dreadful apparently according to most on here he is better than Ginge no he aint. Jussi needs to be replaced hes a liability now
unfortunately i agree on Tonka. He looked ok last year because he was up against forwards of his level. Loved to be proved wrong but i dont see a PL player there i'm afraid