Transfer Window: January 2013

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Absentee Hammer

Re: The January 2013 transfer window

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Matt of iron wrote: Will be an astonishing waste of talent if they go down.

Im sure I readover the weekend that Yann M'Vila is insisting on a relegation release clause shoud QPR be relegated, so we can mop up that talent come the end of May.
Tommy Taylor's Jockstrap

Post by Tommy Taylor's Jockstrap »

TurnbullHammer wrote:If we're going to spend big money on a player then they have to be a significant improvement.
Can't see Butland being value for money.

Surprising to see Diarra already being linked with a move away. Based on what I've seen, he's slow and old. Given time he might settle and adjust to the pace of the Premier League, but I'm not sure we can afford to carry a passenger until he does so. I hope he proves me wrong, but then I also hope Noble and Diame play the rest of the season without missing any games..

I really wouldn't say that Diarra is "slow and old", merely lacking match fitness after being sidelined for 5 months... He'll come good after a run of games, but simply put, as soon as Diame's fit, he'll be straight back into that position...No knicker wetting here, just yet...
TurnbullHammer

Post by TurnbullHammer »

Tommy Taylor's Jockstrap wrote:
I really wouldn't say that Diarra is "slow and old", merely lacking match fitness after being sidelined for 5 months... He'll come good after a run of games, but simply put, as soon as Diame's fit, he'll be straight back into that position...No knicker wetting here, just yet...
True but my main point is that we can't afford to wait a run of games for him to be good..
kielhammer

Post by kielhammer »

If we want a good international goalkeeper,who has quite a couple of years to go, Maarten Stekelenburg,dutch national goalkeeper,is allowed to leave AS Roma,for about 3 million
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

So James Collins is out for several months with a bung hammy as well? We have injury problems most seasons, but this one seems worst than most. Diarra, Collison, Carroll (twice!), Collins, Vaz Te, Diame, McCartney, Benayoun when he was here - all out for more than a month-long stretch. I think that surely has to be the simple reason for our slump in form. What promoted side could surge up the table with casualty list?

I fear for us if Winston picks up an injury - which has to be statistically likely to happen given the number of games he's playing. We're definitely going to need a CB to come in now.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

kielhammer wrote:If we want a good international goalkeeper,who has quite a couple of years to go, Maarten Stekelenburg,dutch national goalkeeper,is allowed to leave AS Roma,for about 3 million
We should be all over that
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

Probably not one exactly for this thread.
Saw WBA match at weekend and though not for the first time this season that Lukaku looks a real handful for most defenders.
With the probable loan ends of both our strikers this summer i reckon this is the long term replacement we need.
Quite a few bob though i should imagine
D C
Has liked: 1121 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by D C »

kielhammer wrote:If we want a good international goalkeeper,who has quite a couple of years to go, Maarten Stekelenburg,dutch national goalkeeper,is allowed to leave AS Roma,for about 3 million
This. He has looked poor for Roma but has had zero protection from the defence under Zeman and Lucho last season.
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

CHELSEA PAID £13 million for Lukaku plus add ons so as a permanent he is out of our league, might be worth hijacking any future loan deal though?
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

61dicksey wrote:CHELSEA PAID £13 million for Lukaku plus add ons so as a permanent he is out of our league, might be worth hijacking any future loan deal though?
There was a quote yesterday from his agent saying that when this transfer window closes on the 31st, his client wants him to sit down with Chelski and try to extend his loan with WBA for another year, with my reading between the lines, I take it Lukaku is unhappy at Chelski and wants to play regularly, so if Chelski would be happy at extending the loan, im sure they see him having no place in their squad, so would probably consider selling him, even at a loss??
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

Obrien and Fanimo have signed new deals at west ham til 2016

Well deserved imo
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

In an ideal situation we would currently have less injuries especially in defence.We have george mac out for a lenghty spell who is our only recognised left back apart from Potts who IMO is not ready for prem football on a regular basis.His understudy O`brien is also currently injured.Then add Collins and its obvious we are short.We also only have 1 established keeper so need experienced cover or a keeper to compete with Jussi.Its unfortunate we have these injuries but have them we do and after the good start we have made our chairmen have to bite the bullet and cough up for new signings to give us the best possible chance of retaining our prem status.

It would be foolish not to get 2 defenders and a keeper in during this window in our circumstances.We are ok in midfield and up front as things stand,but defence needs strenghtening as a matter of urgency and Sam seems fully aware of it.

We could help finance these deals with a few departures notably Maiga,O`Neill and possibly Taylor.Of course Diame may still go and hopefully we can unload piquionne.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Karren wrote:
Monday, January 7

BUY early, buy smart is our philosophy for the transfer window.

Having got Joe Cole and Marouane Chamakh, we try for a defender but our bid is rejected.

I remember at Birmingham we had to stand by, horrified, as we slid to the Championship after ruling out shopping in January 2006. David Sullivan and David Gold vowed then they would never again be caught with their shorts down.
Here we sit with two new loan forwards to provide back up to the two forwards we signed in the summer who are perpetaully unfit or unrated, no senior left back and down to ye olde bare bones as predicted by any reasoned observer,,,

It's the way you tell 'em Kaz :lol:
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

w6hammer wrote:In an ideal situation we would currently have less injuries especially in defence.
You are Hans Klopek and I claim my 5£.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

w6hammer wrote:It would be foolish not to get 2 defenders and a keeper in during this window in our circumstances.
What's the odds that they try to wing it with the keeper and Jussi gets injured on February 1st?
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

bubbles1966 wrote:What's the odds that they try to wing it with the keeper and Jussi gets injured on February 1st?
At which point Henderson comes in. We won't get much better as a 2nd choice right now.
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Can't see chelski selling Lukaku tbh, he looks better everytime i see him and is clearly adjusting to english football with every game, to be doing what he is to defences in the premiere league at 19yrs of age suggests to me he is going to an absolute beast of a player in a few years time! He's exactly the type of striker i would love to see at the Boleyn though, big physical player who's also very mobile and can finish! think i could be waiting a while for that to happen though :D
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Daily Express: Southampton and West Ham are eyeing a move for in-form Watford striker Matej Vydra
STL Hammer

Post by STL Hammer »

A recent interview with Graham Zusi states he is waiting to hear from West Ham with their intention after his trial last week. States he should hear this week or next.

http://yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=show&id=9807

"As for a potential future with West Ham, Zusi did not dismiss that he was there in large part to be evaluated by the London-club. When his week-long trial was over, Zusi did not have any discussions with West Ham coaches or front office staff but he was not expecting that immediately afterward.

West Ham is currently at the middle of their Premier League season and currently sit in 11th place in the 20 team league. While a mid-table finish would be a success for the club after winning promotion just last year, they are struggling recently with just two wins in their past 10 games. On Saturday, they suffered a difficult 3-0 loss to Sunderland.

Should the team's struggles continue, they could begin negotiating for the American who would also need to go through an appeal process for a British work permit since he does not have access to a EU passport.

"I'd imagine in the next week or two they'll be in touch to inform me of where they stand and what they think," Zusi said. "Anytime a team brings a player over, obviously they're looking to judge that player. I don't think this was any different. I'd think it'd be a waste of their time and mine if it wasn't a process where they're looking at me and if the fit was right to add me."

A potential move to one of the world's elite leagues is exciting for Zusi but he insists that he is also happy in Sporting Kansas City who are expected to be a strong contender in MLS in 2013 and in the CONCACAF Champions League in 2013/14.

Instead, Zusi believes he is in a position where he can hold out on a potential transfer until he believes he has found one that is the right fit. Otherwise he is content on remaining with Sporting Kansas City, with whom he signed a long-term deal in 2011.

"If you're not striving for the best training and situation you can be in, then you shouldn't be in the business," Zusi concluded. "But I also believe you need to put yourself in the best situation to succeed. I think that if I went to a top club in a top division and I was sitting on the bench, I don't think I would get as much out of that as if I was in MLS where I was playing just about every minute. It just has to be the right situation for the player. Wherever that is, the best thing for you is to be playing competitive games and getting the experience and time on the field you need to be successful. Wherever that takes me, that's where I'll go."
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1154 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

bubbles1966 wrote:
What's the odds that they try to wing it with the keeper and Jussi gets injured on February 1st?
I reckon the fact that so many teams have been allowed to bring in emergency loans for keepers outside of the window means people don't focus on the position so much for cover. A team will get caught out one day though when the prem says no for the first time......just hope it's not us