Transfer Window: January 2013

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

paulthebubble

Re: The January 2013 transfer window

Post by paulthebubble »

It was a great pass, first touch and goal. Could Tomkins have done better? yes
He misjudged the flight of the ball which let RVP in behind him. He could have drifted to his right and make it more difficult for Von Persie to have a direct line to the ball at which point he would probably have fouled Tomkins. Also a more 'proactive' Grobelaar type keeper might have gotten a touch on the ball first.
For the first goal I thought Demmel could have played the ball instead of watching it run past him.
No complaints though, if we put in the same effort and performance in the replay then we can beat the mancs.
Oh, I say we keep Tomkins. Patience!
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1436 likes

Post by D C »

So, you can only be a great defender if you can play in a flat back 4 in the PL? The same league that makes Vidic look a superstar?

You learn something new every day.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

westhamburgerking wrote:The standard of quoting here is getting ridiculous.

They get that from me :D
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Might watch to see if he kisses the badge, kisses the pitch, or waves to the fans.
Westcliff Hammer

Post by Westcliff Hammer »

HamburgHammer wrote:I thought our new transfer policy is (and should be) NOT to sell our up and coming young stars.
Tomkins is not the finished article yet, and I feel if we sell for 6 million or so now, he could well be worth three times as much in two or three years time.

Newcastle can have Piquionne if they're that desperate to avoid relegation... :wink:
A transfer policy is to recruit players that are better than what you already have regardless of who is at you're club. That's how you move forward as an outfit. This hasn't always been applicable to West Ham in previous years and regimes. NOT West Ham under this current regime. No, Tomkins isn't the finished article but is now way in my opinion ever going to be worth £18m not at 25 years old which he will be at that point in which you said
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Absentee Hammer wrote:Oh well, looks like the same old arguements, im off to give twitter a look to see what is actually going on ...... wink:
You'll get a lot more sense on there tonight than on this thread thats for sure :D
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

I seem to recall Villa selling a decent young centre half from their youth team for fairly big fee to another Premier Leage club.

That was Cahill to Bolton and he then went on to do really well and progressed into the England side.

I suspect it will be a similarly bad move if we let Tomkins go to Newcastle.

Reid and Collins will run into injuries and suspensions at some point so he needs to just bide his time and be patient. We are definitely on the up and I don't see any other mid table clubs being as attractive an option as us.

Rio has retired, Terry is getting on a bit, Cahill and Jagielka are late 20s.

Tomkins is in the batch of potential England centre halves below that level. We need to keep hold of him.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

What's the latest on Gay Ton Bong? Just read that Newcastle were set to pip both us and Spurs to him?
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

And they say players aren't loyal......f*** me

IF someone exceptional like Samba signed,
IF Newcastle offered silly money,
IF Tomkins was set on moving,and
IF we were unable to talk him round

Then in that situation I can get considering selling him....

But none of those have been confirmed and anything other than rumoured on talk sport

He was a significant part of us being promoted
Runner up hammer of the year
Rarely injured
Experienced playing with the current squad
Not significantly expensive compared with the relative quality competition

We going to sell him for £5m and buy someone like Olsson for the same price at 6 or 7 years older or be one injury away from Potts, spence or out of position Diarra, McCartney, or demel playing centre back?

He may not go on to be Rio but with experience how do we know he won't be better than Olsson or someone like that?

Selling is a no from me unless we are talking a world class centre back under 30 signed sealed and delivered (and even then I'd try to convince him to stay to keep 4 Cb's)

FWIW, after the play off final him and Sam hugged and Sam exclaimed to the camera 'what a player!'
Make of that what you will
whizzer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by whizzer »

Rocketron wrote:I've been at work all day. i come home to find 8 pages about Tomkins possibly leaving.
Unfuckingbelieveable.
BFS is one of his biggest fans, that's why he uses him to cover injuries in other positions.
I thought the school[/b] holidsays[/b] had finished by now.
Obviously not! :thup:
Westcliff Hammer

Post by Westcliff Hammer »

It would be really interesting to get a geordie's opinion of possibly swapping Collocini for Tomkins. I would guess it wouldn't be favorable. With Tomkins in they're back 4 they'll ship more goals than they already are.
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by 1959 »

Just saw Allardyce's piece in the Standard. Lists all our central midfielders - with the exception of Diame. Bye bye - shame
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I can only concur with Roketron. Obviously the reaction of the fans inside the ground towards Joe Cole on Saturday and what it signified is lost on some. Shocking really as it's a core fundematal as to what this club is about. I can think of plenty of players we have in the squad who need to be shown the door before Tomkins.

I also agree with Chuck, people who think regular last minute lunges are a sign of great defending have lost the plot.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

1959 wrote:Just saw Allardyce's piece in the Standard. Lists all our central midfielders - with the exception of Diame. Bye bye - shame
There is absolutely nothing in that.

He listed our midfielders who are currently able to play and explained why we dont need to sign Beckham because even without Diame, we have a healthy number.
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

D C wrote:So, you can only be a great defender if you can play in a flat back 4 in the PL? The same league that makes Vidic look a superstar?

You learn something new every day.
no but if you took him out of the barca style possession football and put him in a flat back four and played him in the premierleague or the bundesliga he would be made to look average at best.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1436 likes

Post by D C »

Prove it.
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

D C wrote:Prove it.
watch football, you'll see for yourself as long as you don't just get fixated on the fact its Barcelona. the fact is pique is probably the best footballing defender in the world but he's not mobile enough to play further up the pitch so barca moulded him into a defender.
Coledinho

Post by Coledinho »

Pique is the most overrated piece of poo in football. The guy has to make like 1 clearance a game and all of a sudden he is a defensive god. He doesnt actually do anything, nor does any Barcelona defender. The truly great defenders in world football are the likes of Thiago Silva. those who defend and dont rely on there team having 80% possession to do so.
evomutant
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by evomutant »

Coledinho wrote:Pique is the most overrated piece of poo in football. The guy has to make like 1 clearance a game and all of a sudden he is a defensive god. He doesnt actually do anything, nor does any Barcelona defender. The truly great defenders in world football are the likes of Thiago Silva. those who defend and dont rely on there team having 80% possession to do so.
Yeah. He really is ****.

I wouldn't have him at West Ham if he paid us. :asleep:
Coledinho

Post by Coledinho »

evomutant wrote:
Yeah. He really is ****.

I wouldn't have him at West Ham if he paid us. :asleep:
Massive difference between **** and overrated. For me he is no better then say Gary Cahill at Chelsea and he cost like what 10 mill.

If Tomkins goes IMO Jonas Olsson has to come in.