Transfer Window: January 2013

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: The January 2013 transfer window

Post by wizzo_66 »

Was it Anton that we were after? Jack Sullivan said we were close to one deal, but he ended up going to Turkey...
Supreme
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Supreme »

Pretty sure the player mentioned was Ziegler, former Spuds left back who joined Fernebache on loan from Juve.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Cheers :thup:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

It would have been good to sign Butland, real quality young keeper and a give away price, something just does not sit right the way this window went for us, if it something deeper in the owners minds?

I was at least pleased that Diame remains with us!

It did disappoint me on twitter last night how bitter it got with fellow Hammers loyal supporters, like anything in life, politics, work or faith we are never all going to agree all the time! but for it to get nasty to each other, a lot of it is caused by those ITK who have loyal followers, they love the fuss made of them but anyone say anything different and it is like a world war! All that is important now is to Unite to avoid getting dragged into a relegation battle, tomorrow is so vital.
Crouching Peeky
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Crouching Peeky »

wizzo_66 wrote:Was it Anton that we were after? Jack Sullivan said we were close to one deal, but he ended up going to Turkey...
Probably Wesley Sneider :lol:
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

I think recent results pretty much dictated that Allardyce has had more than enough funds and now he needs to prove his, managerial and" so called "ability to get more out of old or average players,credentials.
Of course LB and GK are a concern , but they were a concern last summer and BFS thought the cheap options would suffice to cover the defensive weakness, in order to blow his "substancial wad" on attacking positions.£ 5m wasted on Maiga to play second fiddle to "big lumps", play on the flank or come on when the game is lost, seems incredibly wasteful,to me, and would have gone a long way to sorting out our defence.
If anyone thinks Pog is the answer - He has not played LB for many years and only ever did as a fill in ,in fact he has not had a competitive game since mid Oct!!
baritalia

Post by baritalia »

KUMB.com wrote:Ins
Joe Cole (free transfer, Liverpool)
Marouane Chamakh (loan, Arsenal)
Wellington Paulista (loan, Cruzeiro)
Emanuel Pogatetz (loan, Wolfsburg)

Outs
Yossi Benayoun (loan ended, Chelsea)
Alou Diarra (loan, Rennes)
Stephen Henderson (loan, Ipswich Town)
I'm sorry, I don't think our squad is any better...
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4958 likes

Post by -DL- »

baritalia wrote: I'm sorry, I don't think our squad is any better...
Neither is your quoting...

I do

Cole: An improvement over Yossi.

Diarra: Player with attitude, can't have been good for the dressing room. Probably for the best he left.

Henderson: 24 hour recall, so not exactly left.

And we have another centre back and a striker who is a punt.

You keep on spouting your **** though.
Last edited by -DL- on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Coops »

Odemwingie whoaaa
Odemwingie whoaaa
He drove to qpr
They left him in his car
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1217 likes
Total likes: 1635 likes

Post by last.caress »

jaybs wrote:It did disappoint me on twitter last night how bitter it got with fellow Hammers loyal supporters, like anything in life, politics, work or faith we are never all going to agree all the time! but for it to get nasty to each other
:thup: I was chatting happily away to someone yesterday - differing opinions, like; I was worrying about the squad/results/tactics/fear of being dragged into the relegation mix etc, he was in the "Don't panic, we're in good shape" club, all good stuff, diff'rent strokes and all that - and he spits the dummy and starts with the abuse out of the clear blue sky. Gave him a couple of opportunities to act his age (old ****, this is) and retract the namecalling but he spat further so I ended up telling him what a sh*tc*nt he is and he blocked me. Boo hoo. Looking at this site though, it seems he's got form for being a pr*ck, so... but it was disappointing, especially from a grown-ass man with snow on the roof. I've had loads of convos on Twitter and here without it turning sh*tty. Some of the very best discussions on this forum involving the likes of Pinky, HD1, Chuck, 'Ouston and other cantankerous old buggers who won't give way have been as fascinating as they were because they were able to conduct themselves passionately without spilling over into abuse. Even someone on here bit my head off yesterday when I wasn't getting at them at all. Perhaps those who purposely avoid match-threads - especially when we lose - or social networking sites at emotive points like deadline day or, again, match-days when we lose have got it the right way around.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 223 likes
Total likes: 447 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

sutts07 wrote:If Jussi gets sick (he hasn't caught anything else all season so not likely) or injured we can sign emergency cover.
ARF!!
carnage
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 705 likes

Post by carnage »

baritalia wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't think our squad is any better...
You are an idiot then.
OllyWHU6
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by OllyWHU6 »

carnage wrote:
You are an idiot then.
That's hardly conducive to decent discussion over the transfers. I would personally say we're no better off, as we've lost a decent CM and covering CB (even if he was throwing his toys out the pram) and gained another 2 strikers meaning we now have Carroll, Cole, Chamakh, Welly, Maiga all vying for one position, maybe 2 if you account for welly and maiga as wingers but then you have to include Jarvis, Taylor, Vaz Te, Cole.

Bringing in Pogatetz was a good signing, but to claim he is a left back is just not true, he is a left-footed centre back and will provide some tenacity while Collins is out, but he is not a premier league full-back mostly due to his lack of mobility.
Myron T Buttram
Probed by aliens

Post by Myron T Buttram »

Oops.. Odemwinge sent home from WBA training then....
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

Myron T Buttram wrote:Oops.. Odemwinge sent home from WBA training then....
Which probabaly suits him fine.
A lot of sitting on his arse earning a fortune until his position at the club is untenable and come the summer he moves.
Just what he always wanted.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 505 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

He's got into Loftus Road.

Trevor Montana

Post by Trevor Montana »

Really think we've missed out on Butland there. With all the ex/current West Ham players in their squad I'm sure we could have nicked him from Stoke. Whether your in the pro or anti Jussi camp, its undeniable that he's not going to be with us for long - signing the player that many people think will be the next England no.1 would have been a great long term decision.

A couple of other players we could have gone for:

Urby Emmanuelson - Would have been great to bolster our left side. Could have brought him in and flogged Taylor.

Faurlin - Not sure why Harry got rid there, quality player. Classy player that can also put a shift in and get stuck in. Would be a massive improvement on the likes of Gary O'Neil.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Harry's unwell today, he said he is all bunged up :D
Mark32

Post by Mark32 »

Confirmed by David Sullivan that the player that went to Turkey was Zieglar and Paul Robinson deal wasn't completed because he had an injury.
It has been hard work in this window. I’ve had sleepless nights. I couldn’t got to an FA Youth Cup match because I couldn’t risk leaving my home phone.

I’ve had hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of calls. We signed four players (Joe Cole, Marouane Chamakh, Emmanuel Pogatetz and Wellington Paulista) but I’m not satisfied. We desperately needed a left back and we didn’t get one.

However, I'm confident we have a strong enough team to have a successful run-in and to finish the season strongly.

For all the deals you have read about, there were 30 others we were trying. I thought we had Stephen Warnock from Aston Villa and he said he was signing.

Our contract offer was for six months with an extension based on appearances and he accepted that. Then he changed his mind and signed for a Championship team in the north (Leeds).

We had a deal for the Olympiakos left back, but when Warnock said yes, we scrapped that. Then, when we tried to get the other deal back on, the chap had gone somewhere else.

We then spoke to Juventus left-back Reto Ziegler, who's on loan in Russia and tried to make that happen, but he went to Turkey. We tried to bring in goalkeeper Paul Robinson from Blackburn, but he had an injury and hasn’t played often and we had a bit of doubt.

Honestly, it makes you feel ill. I’m glad it’s over. For now.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... indow.html
Last edited by Mark32 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Trevor Montana wrote:
Could have brought him in and flogged Taylor.
To where? This isn't Football manager, it's not as simple as that. You need an actual buyer and the calibre of club he'd ben heading to wouldn't have any cash to buy him.