Transfer Window: Summer 2013

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Re: Summer Transfer thread - 2013/2014

Post by Yea Why Not »

wizzo_66 wrote:
Wages.
People are making way too much of a big deal out of wages. If we were to sign him on say 50k a week do you honestly believe we'd have even a 1% chance of being penalised?
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Yea Why Not wrote: People are making way too much of a big deal out of wages. If we were to sign him on say 50k a week do you honestly believe we'd have even a 1% chance of being penalised?
That's the stance the owners are taking. Whether I agree with it or not is irrelevant. The views of many on the subject are irrelevant because they don't have to run a Premier League football club within these new wage restraints.

That's the stance D&S are taking - so to suggest bringing in a 50k a week player on a free is daft.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

It's funny how there's something of a consensus when it is said that money has ruined the game and then there's a clamour for big spending.

Wages are too high, ticket prices are too high, agents are sleazeballs, there's no chance for young English youngsters but hey, f*** it, we should sign that 32 year old Italian on 5m over 2 years.

:P
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

wizzo_66 wrote:
That's the stance the owners are taking. Whether I agree with it or not is irrelevant. The views of many on the subject are irrelevant because they don't have to run a Premier League football club within these new wage restraints.

That's the stance D&S are taking - so to suggest bringing in a 50k a week player on a free is daft.
As much as I think they are decent owners, personally I don't believe a word they say. Everything that is said or written seems to have a hidden motive
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Yea Why Not wrote:
As much as I think they are decent owners, personally I don't believe a word they say. Everything that is said or written seems to have a hidden motive
A fair point - to a certain point I don't disagree. I think they try to manage fans' expectations by keeping them low and then surprising with a marquee signing.

Despite that, I think the rules have been explained in that we already have a fairly hefty wage bill (Nolan, Carroll, Diame) and we didn't have as much room to expand than, for example Norwich, who were miles below the threshold and therefore could sign 4-5 players on reasonable wages.

I don't think anyone can claim the ins and outs of this FFP though - we don't know how the club are dealing with it and I understand your sceptical approach - particularly given G&S and their form to stretch the truth on certain matters.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Yea Why Not wrote:As much as I think they are decent owners, personally I don't believe a word they say. Everything that is said or written seems to have a hidden motive
Blimey what would they have to do for you to think there are not decent...kill/maim?

If you don't believe them, or like their methods then surely you cannot think they are 'decent"
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Voronin wrote:If we got Boulharouz and >Carlton I´d be very happy with this window.
I don't see the point in getting Boulharouz. He has hardly played the last few seasons for one reason or another. We don't really need any defensive reinforcements IMO. Apart from the well publicised striker issues, the area that I felt we needed cover was defensive midfield now that Diarra is out for the season. I think that JOB could play there - especially if we start playing our International captain with CL experience LB in the position currently occupied by JOB. If we are not going to play Rat, that to me is a far more criminal waste of wages than Downing...
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:
Blimey what would they have to do for you to think there are not decent...kill/maim?

If you don't believe them, or like their methods then surely you cannot think they are 'decent"
I think they've done well for our club, I'm ok with the OS, happy with the manager they've appointed and happy with the squad they've helped Allardyce assemble. I just personally take everything they say publicly with a pinch of salt..
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

bobo wrote: They can offer Cole £60,000 a week if he's contract is only running to 1st if Feb because that's when the FFP rules will start & that's why we had some disgruntled fans because it don't even kick in now & that's why it seems to have not affected so many other clubs because they will prob wait till Jan & then ship a couple of players out either for sale or loan.

If Cole signs then I can see Vaz Te leaving & Cole staying on!
This FFP £52m thing intrigued me so I had a bit of a look into it this is the rule on wages:

No restriction if wages are below 52M. If above maximum increase is 4m per year + any increased revenue from commercial income (this extra doesn't include tv money)

So, if I am reading this right, if a club had a wage bill of less than £52M as we did there is no £52m limit this year, we could add what we wanted. NEXT year we may then be over £52M so could only add 4M.

The 52m isn't a limit on spending so much as a level to be below so you can spend big. There are no punishments we would fall foul of (we would have to be over 52M in dec and then over 4m more the following dec). We could have added any amount in wages had we wanted and that would at worst have limited us to a 4m increase next year. And of course we could have added any loan signings without it making a blind bit of difference as even if that pushed us through the mythical 52m this year it would have come off the bill before next year.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

They harp on about not being able to spend anymore on wages due to FFP rules a little too much...it's like they have some information they are about to use to blow a certain club out of the water...

on another note this is the first time i have viewed the transfer thread this summer, i feel a lot better for avoiding it. thank you, carry on.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Voronin wrote:If we got Boulharouz and >Carlton I´d be very happy with this window.
I'd take Sissoko myself - He is an absolute beast and would be able to cover CB if need be.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

When I look at G and S, I think that they are genuinely enjoying managing West Ham. They are enjoying the bigger fanbase than Birmingham, they are enjoying being associated with a club so much history and they are enjoying the fact that the fans react well to the positive stuff they do.

Despite all the stuff we were told by the blue nose's, they've broken our transfer record twice. I don't think that any of us would have smirked had we said that within 18 months of promotion we would have Joe Cole, Stuart Downing, Andy Carroll and Matt Jarvis in the squad.

There are other issues around that worry me, but I also think that there is probably some other stuff going on as well.

Whenever I'm in debt, my bank are constantly looking at my outgoings vs my incomings. They constantly making me reach targets in order to extend my credit or to change my mortgage etc. I would suggest that G and S are in a difficult situation when it comes to the loans that West Ham have outstanding versus gaining the OS. It would be pretty embarrassing for Boris and his pals to gift us the OS, only for us to go bust 6 months later, so they are going to want strict assurances that we are in a sensible position at a certain stage. We may well be under different restrictions compared to other sides in the division. Not necessarily set out by the Premier League, but possibly set out by our own bank manager.

The growth of the side has been steady and good over the past two years. If Carlton is back in the fold, then our strike options are soild for me. There are question marks over our central midfield, but for those of us who are keen to see what Seb Lletget and George Moncur are about, maybe it could be for the best.

Either way, I think that the board love being at West Ham, would have loved to have been a little more 'expressive' in the transfer window this year, but for now I'm happy with what we have ended up with.
Believer

Post by Believer »

taffhammer wrote:They harp on about not being able to spend anymore on wages due to FFP rules a little too much...it's like they have some information they are about to use to blow a certain club out of the water...

Oh how i'd love it - love it !! :lol:
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Which Sissoko is that?

Boulahrouz will be as good a signing as Pogatetz...
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

I'm pretty sure they could find the cash to sponsor the training ground etc through Ann summers or another company to cover FFP.

The truth is they prefer to keep lending the club money as opposed to putting it in whilst telling us they saved us. - I'm no Gully hater for the record, it's just a bit too transparent,
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

D C wrote:Which Sissoko is that?

Boulahrouz will be as good a signing as Pogatetz...
The Sissoko that has just been released from his contract at PSG.
Believer

Post by Believer »

As long as they don't give up the cups. I desperately want a couple of good cup runs (draw permitting) this season and would be gutted if the squad shortfalls through injuries etc saw us fielding anything but the strongest available squads for all cup games. Playing Macca at CH or blooding a youngster in defence against Cardiff will not do IMO if we have a fully fit defence to choose from. You can take risks further up the field with youngsters but your defence should not be weakened or compromised.
Believer

Post by Believer »

ashbanki wrote:
The Sissoko that has just been released from his contract at PSG.
Going to Reading apparently ? strange one ....
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Good post as usual , Mr Stone . :thup:
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Very good post TTS...and even through the frustration of knee jerk thinking; in the reality, this is probably much closer to the truth.
Last edited by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed large quote