The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you pleased with West Ham's transfer business during the summer window?

Yes
50%
No
30%
Neither
8%
Undecided
12%

Total votes: 400

Bobby Orangeboom

Re: The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

With regards to the top story.

" Nearly half of all West Ham fans believe that the Club had a successful transfer window, according to a snap poll here on KUMB.com."

We're talking about less than 250 votes, the majority of which have failed to give valid reasons as to why they think that on this thread,.

But i suppose they'd be the same people who don't mind getting mugged each game for their entrance fee's by the Gollie's, because you are getting mugged, make no mistake.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

jenkins89 wrote:With the news that CFC is back, I'd like to amend my vote to "yes" as my reasoning no longer applies. Another striker has been signed so objectives have been achieved.
Same here. It was a bad window with no effective back up to Carroll. Now Carlton is back our squad is stronger than last year.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Apparently we had loads of striker targets, with some of those negotiations apparently have gone reasonably far, yet we didn't sign any of them (apart from Carroll of course). The question now is why it seems to be so hard for us to attract a striker. It's not rocket science to see that it doesn't help if targets get the impression they won't play anyway when Carroll is fit.

I hope that Carroll comes back into our team and starts banging them in consistently, staying injury-free for the rest of the season. Yet I think he should also be expected to take his place on the bench if he doesn't perform for a number of games. No player should be more important than the team as a whole.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

TBH I had to sit on the fence with undecided, I'm very pleased with those we did sign but a bit disappointed that we failed to recruit another goalscorer. Everybody, including the manager and owners, identified the issue of not scoring enough goals and that we created chances but didn't convert them; which suggests that we needed to find someone who could convert more of those chances.

Only time will tell how much of an issue it will be.
Bobby Orangeboom

& i'm definitely missing something with our new " My vote was no but now it's yes " signing.

We are talking about the same Carlton Cole ?

I like Carlton, don't get me wrong ( not necessarily as a footballer however ) but can you who voted " yes " not see the ridiculousness behind re-signing him ?

And for the record, i'm for signing him, but i don't fail to acknowledge that doing so is ****ing farcical.
Ariksan
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ariksan »

I was undecided but return of Carlton Cole tipped my vote to a YES YES YES! :thup: I just like to have him around. It's players like him that makes it more fun to follow our club - admittedly he is not world class. But he puts in a decent, honest shift and adds so much entertainment with his wit and humor.
I like Carlton, don't get me wrong ( not necessarily as a footballer however ) but can you who voted " yes " not see the ridiculousness behind re-signing him ?
Of course it was ridiculous and farcical. After all this is West Ham.
But the ridiculousness started in letting him go in the first place.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Ariksan wrote:I was undecided but return of Carlton Cole tipped my vote to a YES YES YES! :thup: I just like to have him around. It's players like him that makes it more fun to follow our club - admittedly he is not world class. But he puts in a decent, honest shift and adds so much entertainment with his wit and humor.
2 goals last season was it?

I like Carlton as a personality, and if we could have the Carlton that played against Chelsea every game I would be happier BUT we know what we are going to get.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

I read today we are 8th/9th in net spend this window.
The problem is I think that we had Carroll on loans at season so a lot of people are not counting him as a signing. If we did t have him last season I think the majority would say this is a brilliant window.
I think it has been an average window and reminds me a bit of Pardews last window with us we he majored on fleshing out he squad and bought next to nobody to improve the 1st eleven.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Carnage

Isn't that, in most parts, what Tottenham have done? I mean, they can only play 11 first team players, so you'd say much of their £100m odd in signings are there for their fleshing.
Bobby Orangeboom

Ariksan wrote:
Of course it was ridiculous and farcical. After all this is West Ham.
But the ridiculousness started in letting him go in the first place.
Yes it was ridiculous letting him go in teh first place, without a doubt.

But it's farcical to be replacing him with........him.

These ****ing Imbeciles that run our club can't be trusted, they are a two bob little two foot tall outfit, and a dithering old man bless him.
ShortRound

Post by ShortRound »

I don't get peoples complaints at the owners. We smash our transfer record for the second summer running with yet another top quality player. We get a another wide player leaving us with two wide players that have the highest stats for crosses into the box, that suits our now Record signing you know. This is a team we are building here. I'll think you'll find it's harder to shift some of the fringe players during this window as most of the panic buying happens in January.

Can't help but feel people still have sand in their Vagina's from the weekend.

It was a bad game, a bad result, not the first time we've had one. Get over it! it's only been 3 games in and we are 8th in the league. Carroll is back for the next game, you know! At least give it 10 games before panicking..
Bobby Orangeboom

ShortRound wrote:I don't get peoples complaints at the owners.
David ?

Is that you using a very apt alias ?

Bob

What has happened to you of late?! :lol:
ShortRound

Post by ShortRound »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
David ?

Is that you using a very apt alias ?

If I was one of the Davids, I'd have many other things I'd be "doing" right now, than chatting on an internet forum with you :thup:
carnage

Post by carnage »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Carnage

Isn't that, in most parts, what Tottenham have done? I mean, they can only play 11 first team players, so you'd say much of their £100m odd in signings are there for their fleshing.
RARS
With the limited knowledge I have of Spurs signings I don't think the majority of hem will be bench warmers. Their best 11 I would say will be a lot different from last season.

Will ours? I am guessing no.

Lloris, Dawson, Walker, Vertonghen, Rose, Dembele and Townsend have all started their first games, with Lennon, Defoe and Sandro featuring.

That's 7 starters this season from last year. They signed, what 7 more for £100m
I know it's a different sort of scale and they have more games.

Adrian and Rat are, or at least will be a first teamer as is Downing.
If not now, then for large parts.
Cole - if and when he signs - will be knocking about the first team in a large capacity too.

More ideas, different dimensions, competition for places. O'Brien for one seems to have started this year with a rocket up his arse, fighting to keep his left back place.

It's all about the squad game now.
carnage

Post by carnage »

That's at least 4 new players in their first eleven.
In my opinion you should improve your squad by improving your first eleven and then the players who drop out become fillers. In my opinion our first eleven has barely improved although our squad is stronger.
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

As it stands only half of us are pleased.

I'm not and I agree with Bobby about the farce that is the return of CFC, no matter how much I like the bloke. An act of desperation that they can get away with because of how highly he is regarded here and how badly he is regarded everywhere else (judging by his lack of better offers).

They bang on about only bringing in players that raise the bar on what we have and then bring back someone who was obviously considered below our new standard because we ballsed up what would otherwise have been a very good window.

This window is like a wedding cake without any decorations on it. Unfinished and therefore not something anyone should be "pleased" with.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

wizzo_66 wrote:Not a criticism, well perhaps a constructive one...I would have chosen an option of "partly" pleased if available.
Would you say you were 30% pleased?

carnage wrote:That's at least 4 new players in their first eleven.
In my opinion you should improve your squad by improving your first eleven and then the players who drop out become fillers. In my opinion our first eleven has barely improved although our squad is stronger.
We haven't sold an £86m player though.

Or, like Everton, have a £27.5m to sell.