The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you pleased with West Ham's transfer business during the summer window?

Yes
50%
No
30%
Neither
8%
Undecided
12%

Total votes: 400

szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Re: The 2013 Summer Transfer Window Poll

Post by szola »

One Peter Butler wrote:We have:

A board that cares
A squad that works hard
A manager that knows what he's doing
A board that puts its money where its mouth is
We sit 7th in the prem having finished 10th last year
Quite clearly we had a real stab at getting in a striker last night

The bottom line is we are headed in one direction. For the doubters, that means we are on the up!

I've not felt so confident in my club for years.
Can I have what you are having? :D
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

The wording of the question makes it a "no" for me. I'm not saying it was a bad transfer window as such, but I'm not pleased with the failure to sign another striker, whilst I am a little worried about how suspensions and injuries could trouble our central defenders.

It may be the case that its very unlikely two of our centre backs get injured at the same time, but one injury spell could easily coincide with suspensions and cause a problem or two.

I also think we are troubled up top. Maiga isnt suited to what we chuck at him. Nolan doesnt get anywhere near close enough to him either, probably because the ball sticks less often so he cant afford to get dragged out. Carroll is really the golden man, we need to keep everything crossed that he stays fit.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Yes.

This club is on a stronger footing than it has been for years. The top team are all pulling together and that should be an example to the fans.

The club is moving in the right direction and its a marathon not a sprint.........

In any walk of life you can always 'do better'....... In years gone by we have also done a 'lot worse' too.

Who remembers the year we only bought Macca and Ward in???

What s sh1te season that turned out to be didnt it.................... :)
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

Difficult wording guv, I'm not happy that we are short up top at the moment, but happy with the recruits we ave brought in.

So overall it's a yes from me
jenkins89

Post by jenkins89 »

In business if you set yourself a target, tell everyone what your target is, and then fail to achieve that target I'm sure most people would regard that as being unsuccessful. Forget what we already have, it's irrelevant. The board told us their priority was to get another striker in and they failed, and as failure is generally perceived as being a negative thing I had to vote "no".

And before someone mentions it, I'm always being told how football is a business and that players and managers and clubs are all just operating within a different business environment. As such, they should be judged in business terms.
Last edited by jenkins89 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Youknowme

Post by Youknowme »

Voted undecided.
Adrian - good buy, cheap, and good for the future
Rat - good buy too, experienced but has barely been used so far
Carroll - good to get him perm, hope he stays fit

We needed 2-3 more players however - DM, second striker, and possible CB
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

Sat on the fence on this one..Undecided. There is an argument for yes and no too.. Guess it all depends how high you set your sights and what expectations you have for the club at this point in time. In the cold light of day, getting Carroll,Downing and Rat must be considered good business. Unfortunately not being able to shift some of the fringe players and free up some vital wonga for one more decent striker kinda put the dampeners on things for many. So much of this angst and negativity will be coming from those who had to endure 90 minutes of dross on Saturday, and this will have set alarm bells ringing for some, it certainly did me. But I guess we all have off days and ultimately must beleive in the manager, but christ I as most on here would love to see a Plan B..just sometimes. PS not sure what frame of mind Vaz will be in now? gotta hope the big man dosen`t break down again... As I said undecided.
anjado
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by anjado »

woodford wrote:"Now if any of these players get a serious injury.

Andy Carroll (Already injured and it will take him at least a month to get back to his best)
Winston Reid
James Collins
James Tomkins
Mark Noble"

I see where you're coming from but can you not say that about most clubs though??

Injuries to key players tends to knacker your plans

Yes you could say that for many cases but it is usually a bit of a drop off. I feel if any of these players get injured for any substantial period of time it could lead to massive problems not minor ones.

Mark Noble was injured last season and Gary O'Neil filled in capably who fills in now ? Pogatetz was one of the worst players i have seen play for us. But say Collins is out suspended or with a niggle. Tomkins comes in get's injured who plays centre half ? O'Brien ? McCartney who hasn't played for about a year ?

Andy Carroll get's injured we have either Elliott Lee or Modibo Maiga to come in or a free agent signing who lacks match fitness. Last season we had Carlton Cole coming off great form at the back end of the previous season, Modibo Maiga who was one of the leading goalscorers in Ligue 1 the previous season to replace him.

It doesn't sound much but it's a big difference to the previous year. Other club's around us depth is stronger this season than the previous season also which is something you also have to take into account. Aston Villa and Norwich are a good example of that.
Jigga
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Jigga »

Neither for me.

There is clearly a case for both Yes and No. The signing of Andy Carroll was fantastic for the club and showe real ambition to move forward, a left back was identified early doors which again showed clear forward planning.
However after releasing Cole,Chamakh and Paulista the remaining priority for the window was always to bring in another striker, the club have known this since end of May.
If I was G&S I would have insisted on bringing in the striker before agreeing the Downing deal.Similar to what Spurs did with Bale money, overspend for a few weeks knowing a sale or two is pending. Granted its brinkmanship and you could be left with a deficit but more importantly they would have filled the priority position. If it meant selling RVT, Maiga for less than market value so be it.
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I'm very happy with the incomings. Disappointed that we couldn't offload players IF we were trying to.

If Sam wanted Maiga and RVT as back-up for Carroll, then I'll leave it up to him. I do not believe this club needs four strikers when one is the true focal point. By the time January comes around one or two will be disgruntled with their lack of game time (like Chamakh).

I'd rather make do than end up with the kind of donkeys we have endured over the years to fill up the forward positions.

Nolan,Cole,Diame,Downing and Jarvis should contribute more goals from the midfield that last year's total.

Our back-up strikers were hardly prolific last year so I don't feel we are any worse off goals wise but better off for creativity and ability.

Overall happy - I think the total lack of business yesterday when you see some of the other business done was a bit deflating. What surprised me was that at 10.39 last night we were still the 8th biggest spenders in the PL.

I really don't see how anybody can say that we are worse off than this time last year.

One abysmal performance doesn't change that.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

If Sam's happy I'm happy. Its his ar*e on the line after all.
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by pbenjy »

The upshot of the transfer window is that our season is now over dependant on Andy Carroll getting fit and staying fit. No from me.
FranksMac

Post by FranksMac »

Considering transfer windows of the past where we have been more worried about who was going to be sold than who was coming in: it has to be a yes from me, even given the lack of a backup striker. We have had far far worse before.
Kev59
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

Voted 'No'.

Not a kneejerk reaction, but the decision to bring in Downing before we secured an alternative to AC was (IMO) a really bad move. With five players in the squad able to play in the same position, I think it was almost a vanity buy. Maiga did nothing last season and nothing in pre-season to suggest he had got to grips with our style of play or the premier league.

If we had kept Carlton (yes, I know he rejected the contract offer), that would have allowed us to hawk Maiaga around more and maybe got him off the St Ettiene or wherever it was showing an interest. That could have allowed us to make the move for a decent # 2, with Carlton as backup (# 3).

Same really goes for the Diarra situation. OK, we couldn't have foreseen that he'd get crocked, but we saw enough last season, attitude wise, and this season, performance wise, to want to ship him out - and there were rumours of interest. That would have let us get Sane in.

If we hadn't brought in Downing, I don't think we would have seen Vaz Te getting a strop.

Plus side - we got Roland and Morrison seems to have matured. Carroll on a permanent deal is good, but I think if we hadn't got him, we would have ended up with one of either Ba or Bony (maybe both). Diame staying put is good, but maybe just proves that he's actually at our level, with nobody at the next level really interested, even for £3.5m.

Overall, as a squad, we're probably a bit stronger than last season, but could have been a lot better.
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Smoke me a kipper wrote:Voted Yes.

We've added another out and out winger in Downing which was important as last season we favoured going through Jarvis and were far too predictable so were now more balanced. We've added Carroll permanently which ok we had him last season but he earned his move in my opinion. We've added an experienced left back in Rat though we're yet to see him play and we've added a GK who in time I think will push for the starting spot.

we're not any weaker than last season and we've retained the likes of Reid and Diame which I also see as important. yes we could have done with another striker coming in who's able to push Carroll to perform to his best but for whatever reason we couldn't secure anyone.
I voted yes too, with almost the same reasoning as above.

For me, winning is important, but survival of WHU is the thing we need most. We are growing, whilst not going crazy. We have the new stadium ahead of us (for good or bad) but it's something that is happening and we have to plan for it.

The debt needs clearing, only 2 1/2 years ago we were on the edge of financial meltdown, I like to think that our owners are doing their best and for that, I support them
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

Another poll that supports the theory that negative or unhappy viewpoints easily dominate a thread and always far outweigh those who are supportive and have less need to complain.

He who complains loudest shall be heard ! (But usually in the minority).

I hope the poll closes before the next game. To stop knee jerk votes.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Here comes the sun.....

....and I say, it's alright....
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Undecided shading towards happy.

Happy with Carroll & Downing. Hopeful for Rat & Adrian. Concerned we haven't been able to shift some of the dead wood. Still feel we need cover up front, centre back and defensive midfield (thought Diarra was going to be up for providing that this year - que sera)
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

If we re-sign Carlton Cole we would have added Rat, Adrian and Downing to last season squad so we're definitely stronger. IMO the only reason people aren't more impressed is because Carroll was in our squad last season so it's kinda not a transfer, but it is.

At the end of last season most people wanted AC to sign permanently, as well as us signing a new GK, a new LB, a new winger and a back up to AC because Cole was leaving.

So as long as CC signs; we've achieved all of the above. (not wanting to sound like a Spurs fan) but the next couple of seasons is where we'll begin to add real quality to our squad.

Not worried in the slightest. :crest:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I went undecided.

Its difficult to gauge after 3-4 games. Ask again after 20, then we'll know. With injuries and suspensions mounting we'll have better idea of our quality in depth.