Allardyce: Stick or twist?

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: Allardyce: Stick or twist

Post by Romford »

Grandad Hammer wrote:Here we are 4th in the league, in the champions league places and still this bloody debate continues, it is just plain rude! Time for us all to be grateful that we have such a competent manager; were he to leave there would be a queue of club chairmen wanting to employ him.
Yet again someone who cannot be bothered to read the page before..... :asleep:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Romford wrote:Weird...

All the Sam fan club say that his detractors jump onto the bandwagon whenever there is a poor performance.

Not one post on this thread.

Wont be able to use that one again boys
Just for the lazy buggers :wink:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Romford wrote:
If you look at the first post this morning you might understand the situation of why it was posted ....it was only 2 in front of the one you have highlighted.
"Situation"?

Just reads like a needless pop tbh. We had an off day yesterday in regards of cutting edge in the final third. Not quite sure it warrants posting in the Sam thread.

An answer to my question would be a decent thing to do though. :thup:
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Grandad Hammer wrote:...were he to leave there would be a queue of club chairmen wanting to employ him.
There weren't very many in the queue before we employed him.
westham,eggyandchips

WHU_Del wrote: There weren't very many in the queue before we employed him.
Really? You an agent now?? :?
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Really? You an agent now?? :?
No, just going by the interview he gave when he said he was at home willing the phone to ring.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... e-west-ham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Being sacked by Newcastle and then Blackburn hit Allardyce hard, he says. The dismissals knocked his confidence as he sat around at home for a torrid 11 months waiting – hoping – for another job offer. "We all sit and wait and hope," he says. "Cynically we have to wait until someone else loses a job before you can get back in the game."

When the call came from West Ham, did he think: thank God? "Yeah, I did," he says. "If I didn't get another job in the game after what happened at Blackburn I wouldn't have been satisfied. You know people would have said, 'What's happened to Sam Allardyce? Oh well, since he got sacked at Blackburn he hasn't done anything.' I thought I can't let it finish there, I've got to wait for the right opportunity again."
Markt85

Post by Markt85 »

Romford , you do know sometimes in football you can't always win, sometimes you dominated but can't score, sometimes some players are just not at the races, sometimes your team is unlucky, sometimes you have to respect the oppositions performance. ITS CALLED FOOTBALL.

Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs... All have games where they play a weaker opposition and don't win. It happens.

You can moan at Allardyce every time we don't win, but such fine margins like yesterday where all in takes is a couple inches to go left or right past the keeper we could well have had the 3 points and you wouldn't have been on here, probably silent until our next defeat.

It's tiring and boring for us to be 4th in the Premier league watching some great football knowing that your ready to pounce on Allardyce if things don't go our way.

We are having a hell of a season under big Sam - just f*cking enjoy it !!! :crest:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
"Situation"?

Just reads like a needless pop tbh. We had an off day yesterday in regards of cutting edge in the final third. Not quite sure it warrants posting in the Sam thread.

An answer to my question would be a decent thing to do though. :thup:
Some manners from you at any point would be the decent thing...

We didn't have an off day in front of goal...we didn't make enough decent chances and Sam went back to his old self.

Did anyone slag him off on this thread before i told the truth ?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Markt85 wrote:Romford , you do know sometimes in football you can't always win, sometimes you dominated but can't score, sometimes some players are just not at the races, sometimes your team is unlucky, sometimes you have to respect the oppositions performance. ITS CALLED FOOTBALL.

Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs... All have games where they play a weaker opposition and don't win. It happens.

You can moan at Allardyce every time we don't win, but such fine margins like yesterday where all in takes is a couple inches to go left or right past the keeper we could well have had the 3 points and you wouldn't have been on here, probably silent until our next defeat.

It's tiring and boring for us to be 4th in the Premier league watching some great football knowing that your ready to pounce on Allardyce if things don't go our way.

We are having a hell of a season under big Sam - just f*cking enjoy it !!!
I didn't "pounce" at all fella

Can you read ??

Nobody posted on this thread for 24 hours !!

Nobody can say a bad word about a football manager on a a football website...I don't think you've got a clue

Under 200 posts and acts like he owns the place.....you couldn't make it up.
westham,eggyandchips

Romford wrote: Some manners from you at any point would be the decent thing...
You'd be the last person I take advice from on that.
Romford wrote:We didn't have an off day in front of goal...we didn't make enough decent chances

Which is the same thing and you know it.
Romford wrote: Sam went back to his old self.
WTF that means I have know idea, and I doubt neither do you.
Romford wrote:Did anyone slag him off on this thread before i told the truth ?
What exactly have you told the truth about? Its just another anti-Sam pop. As I said earlier, I dont recall you seeing you on this thread when we beat City, Liverpool or Burnley (against a manager you were banging on about as a possible successor to Sam BTW). and I want to know why thats all.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Thing for me is, I don't even think he needs defending because Saturday was an "off day". It wasn't.

I reckon I've seen over 200 games over that place that were WORSE than that. Saturday's game would have made the highlights reel on Lyalls last season in charge, Zolas last season in charge, or Uncle Avrams. That's how impressive we are this season... We were simply blunt in front of goal.. Any of those chances go in, there simply ain't a debate about Allardyce getting his tactics wrong. Coz he didn't.

On the issue of changing the starting 11 that done Citeh - I think he's earned the trust, based on the last handful of games, to have had his reasons. We're not privvy to fitness & all that - personally on the pitch I thought Valencia looked cream crackered & I wondered if Ampitheatre (you know who I mean) was too - easy to forget all these lads have been with us for a very short time & we were still easily the better team.

We'd have lost that game last season though. It would have been a guaranteed 0-1. So that's progress
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

I don't think Sam can be accused of going back to his old self. We played 2 up top and had 21 shots. Last season we barely registered 10 shots at times.

I wish we could stop harping back to last season after a result/performance that wasn't as good as it could/should have been. This is a new season, we have scored 19 goals and sit fourth. Nobody gets it right all the time, even Jose, who has tried to shut up shop twice this season away in Manchester and ballsed it up both times.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Let's not forget in all this that Villa came to spoil and playing their 'style', which you will have all noticed Sam pointed out in the week, would always frustrate us. What we didn't need is a few players having an off day.

On another day, Downing scores a rocket just before half time, another day, Ginge scores a lovely header from a corner, Carroll scores immediately after coming on with a thumping header, Jenkinson scores his first goal for us with a far post header, Noble scores from the spot after Carlton/Song get fouled in the box.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

I think Romfords point was that despite a disappointing result (which it was whatever way you dress it up) people weren't straight on here being critical like was predicted.
westham,eggyandchips

Whufc06 wrote:I think Romfords point was that despite a disappointing result (which it was whatever way you dress it up) people weren't straight on here being critical like was predicted.
Why be critical?

Hopefully it's a blip on the back of a decent run. Let's not forget this is a "Stick or twist" thread........not jump on the manager when we don't win thread.

I could at least understand negative comments last season, but we're sitting 4th having beaten the Champions and Runners up, we keep a clean sheet (a real bonus considering ) but fail in the final third. That isn't down to Sam OR tactics. It's just an off day in front of goal. I honestly believe it's that simple. :crest:
Whufc06

Post by Whufc06 »

That's the point, no one was being critical.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Whufc06 wrote:I think Romfords point was that despite a disappointing result (which it was whatever way you dress it up) people weren't straight on here being critical like was predicted.
I think that's probably because despite Rom's insistence that we were very poor - many feel we weren't, with our finishing simply woeful on the day.

I don't really know why he (or anyone) should be surprised that the thread didn't flare up after a 0-0 draw. Now that really would be disappointing.

Why it's flared up since is because whenever anyone has come on to express that they didn't feel we were that bad, they've been told they need to take tablets, that what they're saying isn't the truth, that they're acting like they own the place, that they lack manners, etc etc.
Whufc06

Post by Whufc06 »

So basically the same reason it's flared up since page one, people being told they are wrong by people on both 'sides' of the fence. FWIW I think we were unfortunate. We lacked quality at the right times but the intentions were positive IMO which is pretty much all I've wanted.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Romford wrote: We didn't have an off day in front of goal...
21 attempts on goal and 0 goals suggests we did.
...we didn't make enough decent chances
We made enough chances to score, 21 in fact.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Maybe because it wasnt as bad as was being made out.
Go look at the Stoke match thread at half time...