Allardyce: Stick or twist?

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

johnfraser

Re: Allardyce out

Post by johnfraser »

But this is what we've got now so unless you fancy avram back you might aswell support the team and hope we can sign a legend in jan.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

The board tried and failed to bring in quality strikers in the summer. That failure is where the fault lies.

We probably wouldn't have won today whoever we had up front, but we certainly would be several places higher up the table at this stage in the season. Sam has nothing available to him to change things radically, and won't have until Jan.

Generally, I think the board has been good for the club, but now they need to take responsibility and make the necessary signing(s) happen in Jan. No manager will perform miracles with what we currently have.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

johnfraser wrote:But this is what we've got now so unless you fancy avram back you might aswell support the team and hope we can sign a legend in jan.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

the celestial insect wrote:The board tried and failed to bring in quality strikers in the summer. That failure is where the fault lies.

We probably wouldn't have won today whoever we had up front, but we certainly would be several places higher up the table at this stage in the season. Sam has nothing available to him to change things radically, and won't have until Jan.

Generally, I think the board has been good for the club, but now they need to take responsibility and make the necessary signing(s) happen in Jan. No manager will perform miracles with what we currently have.
I generally agree with all that and I think that,while they are wealthy men,the owners are nowhere near rich enough to successfully own a premiership football club,especially one with historic debt.Consequently we have missed transfer targets,expensive tickets and the constant aroma of bull**** from their repeated excuses which all stems from a lack of dough.Ultimately,they have a history of buying distressed clubs and botching through and making a few quid out of it whilst having a bit of a laugh and the kudos of owning a football club.If everything had been Hunky dory at West Ham with no debt and a steady ship,would they have bought it?No.Because they don't have the dough to buy a healthy football club and it wouldn't appeal to them because there are no angles to make money.I am intrigued by their next move because relegation surely ****'s up all their plans.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

Mike420 wrote:Suicide to get rid of Sam for two reasons
Correct!
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

There;s no point in getting rid of Allardyce now Pulis has a job and Coleman's signed a new deal with Wales.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Bring back wally downes

Would rather we spend every penny we have at the club on a striker rather than changing a manager

Chances of getting a result today were slim - let's focus on creating ipswich play off game atmosphere against fulham, raise the guys on the pitch, get a win, get some momentum and help the club pick up

:crest:
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

I'm not going to get into the whole 'sack the manager' b*llocks, however I think the worst thing that happened to us this season was beating Spurs.

It worked as a back up/surprise plan but has left us thinking it is the way forward as opposed to exploring other options
tugboatpete

sam allerdichi

Post by tugboatpete »

I hope your sacked in the morning sam
-replacing jc and collision after 37 mins is an admission that we all saw at villa and Norwich that u got it wrong
it took u 80 mins to realise Nolan should have gone before jc
I have no problem with miaga coming on he run his heart, out, hes just not good enough thats not his fault but sam you bought him, played him in front of carlton who apparently still isn't fit after 6 weeks???? but on 25000 a week??????
can we have some sort of reason why diamme isn't starting???
your best mate Nolan has been filling in up front but has been awful

I expect to here on match of the day that the Russians bought the penalty -had to chase the game-injuries - blah bloody blah
u had better start with a forward against palace Samuel or u r history

and I think fat boy frank is getting rather brave

end of rant
my team today would have been
jessi
guy Collins Tompkins obrian
noble diamme jc downing
Morrison
striker

u could argue the fact of having Jarvis as a winger??
swiftynick

Post by swiftynick »

would southamton still be in the premier league if they had stuck with nigel adkins
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

swiftynick wrote:would southamton still be in the premier league if they had stuck with nigel adkins
Probably, they'd had a hard start and were starting to look a lot better.
Coledinho

Post by Coledinho »

The worst thing that happened to us this season was the Summer transfer window.

Danny Whitehead - N/A
Adrian - Not playing
Razvan Rat - Best player and he was a 1 year contract free transfer
Stewart Downing - Absolutely shocking so far. Cringeworthy bad
Andy Carroll - Signed a guy on crutches. Enough said
Mladen Petric - Injured
Carlton Cole - Not fit

Pathetic excuse for a window and its left us IMO with the worst squad in the league. Id take Crystal Palaces team atm ahead of ours. Atleast they have balance and direction as opposed to the rudderless ship we have that is clearly going nowhere without the impact of one egg that isnt in our basket atm in Andy Carroll.

Not signing another hold up striker has ruined us completely.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Coledinho wrote: Stewart Downing - Absolutely shocking so far. Cringeworthy bad
Downing has not been shocking. He had a reasonable game today and put in some decent crosses but the problem was there was no Carroll to head them in.
ryanrc

Re: Message To The Board

Post by ryanrc »

giantsteps wrote:It's not Allardyce. It's the board. We had a shocking transfer window

We have no f*cking attack
Agreed. Our squad is pretty awful and very thin. Allardyce has done a marvellous job on our budget but we desperately needed some investment for the second season...we didn't get any. However, I have never seen our team spirit this low under Allardyce and I'm starting to worry that he's losing the dressing room.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I think Downing's been pretty good. Was certainly one of our better players today.
DustyHammer
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by DustyHammer »

Our squad is significantly weaker than Chelsea's. We could have tried to make a cup tie feel to get an extra bit of energy but with our injuries that was never going to happen.

Allardyce put a team out, set some tactics up (they obviously have to be different to the last game) and they didn't work. He tried changing them and they also didn't work.

To be honest, I can't think of any system he could have employed which would have beaten chelsea today with the players he has. He may have got a more boring 1-0 defeat with a more defensive side but i can't see any formation which is guaranteed to do better than the team and formation we use now.

The problem is not Allardyce's tactics, it is the vast amount of injuries and lack of a confident striker
Coledinho

Post by Coledinho »

bobcar wrote:
Downing has not been shocking. He had a reasonable game today and put in some decent crosses but the problem was there was no Carroll to head them in.
He has no football intelligence. Putting in aimless crosses to no one is not "Theres no Carroll to head them in"'s fault

It is Stewart Downing for making a poor decision with the ball. If no one is in the box he has to have the confidence to pick up the ball with his feet and make a run into a better spot. Cut in centrally. Try and score a ****ing goal. If you want someone to run to the touch line and put in a long raking cross. Give me 100k and Ill find you that in the Australian Leagues.

When you pay 5 mill 50k+ wages you expect someone to be able to make better decisions and not be a complete and utter one trick pony with the ball
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

DustyHammer wrote: He may have got a more boring 1-0 defeat with a more defensive side but i can't see any formation which is guaranteed to do better than the team and formation we use now.
That was one of the most boring performances I've ever seen from us in a derby game.

Call me old fashioned, but I think a formation with a striker might have more chance of success than one without one.

Who built the squad?
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Interesting that Blackburn sacked in his second full season in charge? Does he get found out and does not know how to change things when his teams are on a bad run?

Personally, it will be silly to sack him now as there are no decent alternatives to step in but I think the constant pressure of the premiership is too much for him now than it was 5-7 years ago.