Transfer Window: Summer 2014

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Re: The summer 2014 Transfer thread and wish list

Post by Sir_Trevor »

A few people are mentioning Johnson. I'm assuming we're talking Glen not Woger :P

I would love to see him back here. His sale was the reason I gave up my ST as it showed, I thought, our total lack of ambition at that time.
Fuertehammer
Formerly Ironwerx

Post by Fuertehammer »

Yep, Glen Johnson will be in the last year of his contract at Liverpool.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

Diame, Diarra, Maiga, Jussi out.
Armero, Nocerino, Lescott, striker in.
Puncher12
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Puncher12 »

Apparently Liverpool are after Sagna and they've got Flanagan and Kelly still there wanting a spot, so could quite easily get him back.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Man City have too few home grown players in their squad: only seven (6 English plus Clichy) this season, so their squad is limited to 24 (plus U21s). With Lescott leaving they're not going to let a useful squad player like Millner (or Rodwell) go, unless they bring in home grown players to replace him. Richards appears to be made of glass and would clearly shatter at Chadwell Heath. Avoid.

My top priorities for the transfer and wage budget:

1) Central Midfield / Taylor
2) Left Back / McCartney
3) Right Back / Demel

Taylor and McCartney accept reduced deals as back-up players.

Reid and Adrian should get improved contracts. Nocerino to stay as alternative to Noble or Nolan. New back up goalie to arrive (Hendo out on loan if fit). 2nd choice target man (pushing Carlton to 3rd choice) if budget allows (Samaras?).

Jussi and Collison to leave on frees. Diarra and Maiga shipped out on subsidised deals.

All the above to be done within next season's wage limit (i.e. this season's bill plus 4 million). Easy ;)
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

what about kyle naughton? young RB could be good for us
Fuertehammer
Formerly Ironwerx

Post by Fuertehammer »

@swisspauli

I didn't even think about City needing to retain some of their home growns.

I think I'll stay out of this thread :D
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:In the Wish List column a new contract for Reid should be at the top.
agreed :crest:
el pato
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by el pato »

Looks like Alan Hutton could be on his way out of Villa on a freebie,i think he,s a more than useful player.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

el pato wrote:Looks like Alan Hutton could be on his way out of Villa on a freebie,i think he,s a more than useful player.
Please no
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

As ever, much depends on who stays up and who goes down. A lot of the teams below us have some useful players that could be saved from the Championship for at least a year by us
the wren
Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Post by the wren »

Most important signing is extending Sam's contract... :thup:
OllyWHU6
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by OllyWHU6 »

Clyne from Soton would be a big move for me, he has fallen out of favour over the second half of the season after a minor injury behind Chambers. I wanted him while he was at Palace and he seems to have made the step up to the Premier League with ease. I think with a manager that plays the way Sam does he could really flourish as a solid Right Back with an attacking element to his game.

Contract extension for Reid is an absolute must, with him and Tonks probably the more likely starting partnership with Collins a more than capable replacement, i'd like one more Centre Back in but a free transfer would be ok to fill this gap, or a decent younger CB would be nice to assume Collins role the season after.

I'd extend Jussi for another year, as long as he is happy to be playing as the back-up keeper, a lot of respect for him as a player and if he wanted game time i'd respect that and let him move on, which would mean needing a new back up keeper.

Matt Taylor i'd keep as well, he has picked up where Gary O'Neill left off and we would be foolish to let him go when he plays so well with Noble, he is also a very astute guy that is doing his coaching badges and for me looks like the sort of player that could transition into coaching or managing with ease. I'd keep him around for at least one more season, with maybe some coaching responsibility.

Left-Back Linda is playing well and doing great but not getting any younger, it's a position we have long needed to address but i trust Sam will look into this properly. Maybe seeing what Armero is all about before he goes back.

A CDM that basically does what Taylor is doing now but maybe with a bit more dynamism and energy, a bit like Diame but without the tantrums.

Then a Striker that offers something a little bit different to Carroll and Cole that can change a game, while still being effective in that role. It pains me to suggest him but maybe someone like Connor Wickham under Big Sam could flourish, but i'm sure there is better out there.

That'll do for starters 8-)
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

What do our German Kumbers think about Lasogga as competition for Carroll? Having a dynamite season.

I'd love Lescott, a winger and a striker and if Ravel leaves I'd love us to bring in Will Hughes. Most importantly though, tie Winston down! Getting a bit nervy about that one.
Joey O'Irons

Post by Joey O'Irons »

As the last two seasons have shown, we need to have 4 centre-backs. We don't want to be relying on another panic loan like Pogatetz or Johnson in January again.

Although Linda is getting on a bit, I'd like to see Potts make the step up and become his replacement instead of bringing in someone else older.

Also, if Joe Cole is leaving we'll need another winger. Whether the winger should be good enough to start, or a decent back-up depends on how much money we have to spend. Perhaps someone like Will Buckley or Bolasie.
vapourtrail

Post by vapourtrail »

ryanrc wrote:What do our German Kumbers think about Lasogga as competition for Carroll? Having a dynamite season.
No chance. Wouldn't join us. Better option within the Bundesliga. If Hamburg keep their league status, he'll join them on a permanent deal next summer. If not, he's likely to re-join with Hertha Berlin or could sign up with other clubs in Germany.

Plus: He's a strange character.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

As Joe Cole has done nothing to warrant renewing his contract there'll be an opening for an attacking midfielder/winger type.

Based purely on his tormenting of Demel, I'd have a cheeky bid for Nathan Redmond.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Ambitious moves for....

Right back - Richards or Johnson

Centre back - Lescott

Left back - possibly Armero if that works out

Utility player - Milner maybe

Centre midfielder - Fellaini

Striker - Lambert possibly realistic if Sam is still here

That's 6 in for me, but vast improvement in quality of player needed

Maybe we can swap Ravel for Richards, Lescott and Milner :D
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

ryanrc wrote:What do our German Kumbers think about Lasogga as competition for Carroll? Having a dynamite season.
vapourtrail wrote: No chance. Wouldn't join us. Better option within the Bundesliga. If Hamburg keep their league status, he'll join them on a permanent deal next summer. If not, he's likely to re-join with Hertha Berlin or could sign up with other clubs in Germany.

Plus: He's a strange character.
Ooh intrigue !
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

I would love Lasogga at West Ham, he's doing very well in a crap Hamburg team. Hamburg would love to buy him from Hertha Berlin, but Hamburg are skint and are a club in big trouble, on and especially off the pitch, so I don't think Lasogga would necessarily like to stay at Hamburg.
Would he stay at Berlin ? Probably, but it might help if Berlin qualify for the Europa League.

If they don't I could see Lasogga being interested in a switch to the Premier League, he is built like an ox, a bit like Rooney, so the football should suit him.