Transfer Window: Summer 2014

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

ryanrc

Re: The summer 2014 Transfer thread and wish list

Post by ryanrc »

Thanks for the top work as ever UTJ :thup:

I've just noticed that Saints signed Mane. Earlier in the summer I made the point that I thought he was a better player than Valencia. I still think I was right but I've never hoped to be proved wrong so much. I really, really hope Valencia comes good.
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

ihateroeder wrote:That really does prove stats mean nothing!
Dear oh dear.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Turns to Stone wrote:Personally, I think we're a more well-balanced better team with Vaz Te on the pitch.

I'm hoping that Valencia can be a more consistent performer for us in a similar role.

Fingers crossed.
For someone I consider well versed in the glorious game, I'm struggling to makes sense of this post.

Vaz Te does not give us balance. Lets take the Spurs game. He played left hand side of midfield/left wing. He was often nowhere near Cole when it mattered, nor near Cresswell when it mattered either. His defending is as comical as Monty Panesar's batting (no doubt someone will find a video of him scoring a 50). He scores when he wants for sure, it's just he doesn't seem to want to very often!

You then say you hope Valencia can be more consistent in the role, but to do that Vaz Te can't be on the pitch?

For me Vaz Te is an impact sub at best
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by 3times »

Much like the situation with Cole, I really don't get the Vaz Te thing. He is not a premiership player by a mile.

Ok in the championship but thats about all.

No real pace, can't go past a player, not clinical in front of goal and to be honest, a lot of the time looks a bit lost.

Just my opinion of course!
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

3times wrote:Much like the situation with Cole, I really don't get the Vaz Te thing. He is not a premiership player by a mile.

Ok in the championship but thats about all.

No real pace, can't go past a player, not clinical in front of goal and to be honest, a lot of the time looks a bit lost.

Just my opinion of course!
Thing is mate...you are spot on.

If we had an offer of 1 mil from anyone for either him or Cole we'd accept it.

That tells you everything....
snooperpooper
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

All that money spent on transfer fees by the Prem clubs and some of the salaries being talked about which club do you think will get the best returns from their transfers relative to their expectations and who will get the worst.

For me I think Hull have had a great window and they will be a top 10 team come the end of the season because of it.

The loser for me this window is Manure, the European laughing stock, no bargaining or pulling power due to lack of European football and no defensive or midfield restocking. They've been forced to pay massively over the odds for what they have brought in. The only way they'll achieve the position they think they should achieve is by winning every game 5-4.
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

I don't think Hull have bought as well as people think tbh, too many players that, yes on their day could be very good but those days will be few and far between, diame, Ben arfa and Ramirez stand out for me as players with a lot of skill but no real end product to their play ! Just my opinion though, what is a certainty is that one of the days when these players are very good will be against us next week, it's nailed on !!
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 324 likes

Post by Het-Field »

durham city hammer wrote:I don't think Hull have bought as well as people think tbh, too many players that, yes on their day could be very good but those days will be few and far between, diame, Ben arfa and Ramirez stand out for me as players with a lot of skill but no real end product to their play ! Just my opinion though, what is a certainty is that one of the days when these players are very good will be against us next week, it's nailed on !!

Kinda reminds me of our spending spree in 2007. It really looked like we had bought a proper squad, with the ability to challenge for some silverware or at least a UEFA Cup spot. Injuries apart, and even when the guts of my preferred team were on the park, we never looked that good, and in particular i remember a 4 goal hammering up at WHU, which really put that squad into perspective.

Its the strongest looking squad Hull have ever had, but I'm not sure its that good at all.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1454 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

hammerdivone wrote:
For someone I consider well versed in the glorious game, I'm struggling to makes sense of this post.

Vaz Te does not give us balance. Lets take the Spurs game. He played left hand side of midfield/left wing. He was often nowhere near Cole when it mattered, nor near Cresswell when it mattered either. His defending is as comical as Monty Panesar's batting (no doubt someone will find a video of him scoring a 50). He scores when he wants for sure, it's just he doesn't seem to want to very often!

You then say you hope Valencia can be more consistent in the role, but to do that Vaz Te can't be on the pitch?

For me Vaz Te is an impact sub at best
I think the point I was trying to make is that Vaz Te is different to what else we have. I like Downing and Jarvis but they are too similar. I think that Vaz Te plays more of a second striker (when he plays well) which makes space for the striker and for Nolan/Zarate.

It's not really about Vaz Te, it's more about the role he brings to the side. That why I hope Valencia will do it better than he can. Hope that makes sense. I think the closest thing I can describe it as is when Solomon Kalou played wide of Drogba at Chelsea. Drogba played up front on his own largely, but when Chelsea went forward, Kalou became a second striker supporting Drogba, taking away centre-backs and making space for Lampard and Essien.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

We have an unbalanced squad for the second season running. Poor old Carlton should be 3rd choice target man ( after all that is the only system we will play). Ginger appears to be made of glass...so losing Reid or James T could cost us.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:We have an unbalanced squad for the second season running. Poor old Carlton should be 3rd choice target man ( after all that is the only system we will play). Ginger appears to be made of glass...so losing Reid or James T could cost us.

:asleep:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1294 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

ihateroeder wrote:That really does prove stats mean nothing!
In our first year back up we averaged three times more points per game when Vaz was in the team than when he wasn't. More proof that stats mean nothing I dare say.
Gator_Hammer
Location: It is not guilty that man who eat the pie but one that gives it.

Post by Gator_Hammer »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:We have an unbalanced squad for the second season running. Poor old Carlton should be 3rd choice target man ( after all that is the only system we will play). Ginger appears to be made of glass...so losing Reid or James T could cost us.
Pardon?
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

snooperpooper wrote:
For me I think Hull have had a great window and they will be a top 10 team come the end of the season because of it.
Best player they bought isn't even known yet.

They bought that 20 year old right back from Cork City that I was telling you about Brian Linehan for 200K.

He can play right back or midfield and is already as good as Cresswell.

I have no doubt he will become a great player in the next 2 years.

I emailed the club months ago but nothing came back.

Same thing happened when Kevin Doyle and Shane Long were recommended to Pardew for around the same price.

Remember you heard it here first.
JohnSissonsWasMyHero

Post by JohnSissonsWasMyHero »

hammerdivone wrote: His defending is as comical as Monty Panesar's batting (no doubt someone will find a video of him scoring a 50).
You're safe. According to cricinfo, his highest score in 1st class cricket is 46. Mind you, he did once score the best ever 7 not out in a test match, against Australia in Cardiff in 2009.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1027 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

2 posters in this page have Vaz down as "ok in the championship". :lol:
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

So Leon Rivers what's wrong saying Vaz would be ok in the championship, when he clearly was so there's no lies in that statement at all,

then again it's no victory when you've bested a fool, but I'll take pleasure in it anyway,
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:So Leon Rivers what's wrong saying Vaz would be ok in the championship, when he clearly was so there's no lies in that statement at all,

then again it's no victory when you've bested a fool, but I'll take pleasure in it anyway,
Let's face it he was more than 'okay'.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Ronaldihno :scarfer:

http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/r ... to-england" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 223 likes
Total likes: 447 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

thejackhammer wrote:Let's face it he was more than 'okay'.
If 20 goals in a season at any level is just "OKAY" then a lot of players need to pull their socks up.