Transfer Window: Summer 2014

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Re: The summer 2014 Transfer thread and wish list

Post by Ozza »

Jesus it's like a football manager wankfest
Chelmo Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Chelmo Hammer »

Good to get the thread going early to prevent numerous others cropping up between now and the summer. I imagine Big Sam is drawing up a number of shortlists based on what happens not only to us, but clubs with regards relegation and promotion.

Danny Ings would be right up there for me, although if Burnley are promoted then there is no chance they will sell. If they don't go up, a bid in the region of 4-6 million should do. Ditto Kieran Tripper, their right back.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

Can't see us beating Liverpool and Spurs to Konoplyanka but I would love it if we did! Quality player.
ric92

Post by ric92 »

Chelmo Hammer wrote:Good to get the thread going early to prevent numerous others cropping up between now and the summer. I imagine Big Sam is drawing up a number of shortlists based on what happens not only to us, but clubs with regards relegation and promotion.

Danny Ings would be right up there for me, although if Burnley are promoted then there is no chance they will sell. If they don't go up, a bid in the region of 4-6 million should do. Ditto Kieran Tripper, their right back.
Although I like the look of Ings, he's only 5"10, not exactly a Big Sam striker. Also just checked him out on wiki and he's had a couple of serious knee injuries, keeping him out of 6 months each time. Not sure if I would risk the sort of money Burnley would want which would be at least £6 million, maybe even a bit more, for a player who might not be able to make the step up to the premiership, has a history of dodgy knees and does not fit into Big Sam's system of play.

Trippier though looks good the few times I've seen him, and seems highly rated. Would not probably cost the earth either provided Burnley don't get promoted. Potentially worth a punt.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Ozza wrote:Jesus it's like a football manager wankfest
:lol:
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

sosc67 wrote:Ian Strinic left back/left midfielder for Dnipro is one of the reasons Sam was out last nights game
And the other reason is to look at a Sp*rs player I presume? I'd take Strinic. As much as I love McCartney I personally don't think he'll have another season in him.

I'd release/sell the following:

Henderson,
McCartney,
Diarra,
Spence,
Moncur,
Lletget,
Maiga,
Morrison,
Collison,
Johnson,
J.Cole,
Boriello.

Offer Reid, Diame new long term contracts straightaway as they're worth it. Activate Adrian's additional 2 years in his contract with a pay rise. Offer Jaaskelainen a new 1 year contract and offer both Nocerino and Armero permanent 3 year contracts.

So what we need is a left back, 4th Centre half, defensive midfielder, goalscoring/creative midfielder, striker that plays out wide and a back up to Carroll.

Centre half: Joleon Lescott (Free) or Ludovic Sane (£1m + Diarra),
Left back: Ivan Strinic (£1-2m),
Defensive Midfielder: Nigel De Jong (£3m) or Jack Rodwell (Loan with view to permanent). If Nocerino doesn't join sign both of them,
Goalscoring/Creative Midfielder: Gylfi Sigurdsson (£8m) or Yoann Gourcuff (£10m),
Wide Striker: Ross McCormack (£3.5m + Collison) or Loic Remy (£6m + Maiga & Morrison),
Striker: Bafetimbi Gomis (Free, offer good wages) or Yaya Sanogo (Loan with view to possible permanent),

I'd love to realistically and hopefully see the following squad by the end of the window:

GKs: Adrian, Jaaskelainen, Spiegel.
RBs: Demel, O'Brien, Chambers.
CHs: Reid, Tomkins, Collins, Sane.
LBs: Strinic, Armero, Potts.
CMs: Noble, Rodwell, Nocerino, Diame, Sane, Taylor.
RMs: Remy, Jarvis, Vaz Te.
LMs: Downing, Armero, Strinic.
AMs: Sigurdsson, Nolan.
STs: Carroll, Sanogo, C.Cole, Vaz Te.

Loan out: Spiegel, Chambers, Potts, Lee & Gordon to Championship or League One clubs if possible.

Make Nolan club captain and Noble team captain, with Reid vice captain. Job done :crest:
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Who was it last season who was harping on about how many fantastic players Cardiff had signed? Or how Ricky Van Wolfswinkel was gonna score 20+ goals? etc.

All I want is two fullbacks, a DM, possibly a lightning quick winger, and an attacker to push Cole for Carrolls place.

I reckon we'll go for Simon Makienok at Brøndby. Cheap(ish), 2 meters tall, and has recently stated in an interview that he loves London and wants to play in the Prem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Makienok

...and his ladyfriend aint too bad either.

http://www.senest.dk/wp-content/uploads ... bikini.jpg
damiant
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by damiant »

manuel lanzini
abel hernandez
leo baptistao
micah richards
joleon lescott
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

I'm not a big fan when people say they want to sign players after seeing them play very little football.... HOWEVER...

I have faith that Nocerino and Armero (from what I've seen at the club / elsewhere) would be great acquisitions. They both seem to have become popular within the team and I think we should go all out to sign both on permanent contracts. They will be (hopefully) be relatively settled by Summer, know the league and are improvements on what we currently have permanently. No worry of them disrupting the harmony or not knowing the league. Everything I've heard also suggests they're loving their time at the club so far.

They could of course, prove to be terrible before the season is out... but I highly doubt that. As I say, I have faith.

Edit - Damn, I forgot to include Roger Johnson :D
Last edited by Hayden on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Ozza wrote:Jesus it's like a football manager wankfest
Just thinking the same thing !!
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

Rio wrote:Got a feeling Glen Johnson will be this summers marquee signing.

Haven't we already got a Portuguese midfielder on a free?
I think Johnson has been woeful for Liverpool at times over the last couple of years.

He's reminding me more of Rio by the game.

I hope you're wrong.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

ric92 wrote: Trippier though looks good the few times I've seen him, and seems highly rated. Would not probably cost the earth either provided Burnley don't get promoted. Potentially worth a punt.
They've just been talking about him on TalkSport. 23 years old. Most assists in the Championship. If he's defensively sound he could be a very good target.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Ludeksgloves wrote:Who was it last season who was harping on about how many fantastic players Cardiff had signed? Or how Ricky Van Wolfswinkel was gonna score 20+ goals? etc.]
Possibly Bobby Orangeboom. He had his c*ck in hand over Fulham's signings for sure. The pre season suicide-fest over how far behind those three teams we had fallen was laughable at the time. Even more so now.
Irish Iron

Post by Irish Iron »

Spunk the whole war chest on a goal scoring mid-fielder, its the Allardyce way.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'd contentedly accept Roger as our 4th centre back :o

I can't see the point in pursuing someone like Lescott on mega-wages when our existing centre backs are perfectly decent, and whilst we have Demel, McCartney and Taylor starting every week.

That isn't meant as a slight against any of them as each and every one is a very solid pro who I would hope to see as a member of the squad next year. It's just that those are the areas where we are most in need of a quality upgrade, or which seem most susceptible to age and injury concerns.

The marquee signing (s) will be people who have played/are playing for England or some big continental club. It's the way Sam rolls.

I'd imagine there will be a big shake up at Man U and Spurs this summer, with limited clear outs at Chelsea and Man City too.

I think Holtby would fit in well here. If Sunderland go down, Adam Johnson and Steven Fletcher look like Sam players.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Funny how if you have an opinion on players from around the world you're accused by know nothings of needing to get off football manager or something dissimilar.

Boring joke by evidently boring people :asleep:
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

prophet:marginal wrote:Ins
Ashley Cole
Steve Sidwell
Nedum Onouha
Wilfred Zaha (season long loan)
Peter Crouch

(I don't think Sam will want them in his squad any more
No thanks, three players in that list are 30+ and one loanee.. not exactly long term signings

I'd like to see 3 solid improvements of players 26 years of age or less
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Fair enough if they are wish lists, but I would be ultimately surprised and happy to eat humble pie if we sign a whole list of players including Rodwell, Sane, Sigurdsson, Remy, McCormack, Gomis, Sanogo, Lescott.

We will sign 2-3 permanent for decent fees I would imagine, with the remainder as frees and loans.

This is Gold and Sullivan we are talking about, who, admist an absolute striker and defender crisis, signed Roger Johnson on a short loan and Borriello on a short loan - which has ended up working only because we haven't really had to use them and our injured players have recovered.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

wizzo_66 wrote: This is Gold and Sullivan we are talking about, who, admist an absolute striker and defender crisis, signed Roger Johnson on a short loan and Borriello on a short loan - which has ended up working only because we haven't really had to use them and our injured players have recovered.
You'd have been happy to see a £20m investment and another £160k p/w spunked on a couple of panic signings worth half that, I assume?

Very harsh on our chairmen that have smashed our transfer record in successive seasons.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

wizzo_66 wrote:Fair enough if they are wish lists, but I would be ultimately surprised and happy to eat humble pie if we sign a whole list of players including Rodwell, Sane, Sigurdsson, Remy, McCormack, Gomis, Sanogo, Lescott.

We will sign 2-3 permanent for decent fees I would imagine, with the remainder as frees and loans.

This is Gold and Sullivan we are talking about, who, admist an absolute striker and defender crisis, signed Roger Johnson on a short loan and Borriello on a short loan - which has ended up working only because we haven't really had to use them and our injured players have recovered.
I think they'll give him a starting budget of £25 million or so now that Sheff U are paid off, plus whatever he can get from selling players - Morrison and Collison seem to be the obvious two.

Bit harsh on the manager and board to criticise their choices for a 4th choice CB and a 3rd choice CF. I can't imagine that many clubs among the also-rans field anything much better once you're down to that depth.

It's probable that targets break into two categories:

#1 First teamers - this is where the money will go
#2 Squaddies/Back Up - loans, frees, low fees