The Transfer Window Poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you pleased with West Ham's transfer business during the summer window?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:09 am

Yes
84%
No
4%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 426

thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: The Transfer Window Poll

Post by thejackhammer »

We're much stronger than we were last season so that can only be positive.

Kouyate looks like a monster, Zarate is exciting, Sakho scored on his first start, Valencia looked great at the World Cup, Cresswell was Ipswich's best player, Jenkinson has played for Arsenal, Song is a fantastic signing (despite what abcdefghijklmnop says), Amalfitano scored some crackers for West Brom, and Poyet has a lot of potential.

Was it perfect? No. But no one ever has a perfect window. It was much better than I ever hoped for. Well done to the board and to Sam. Here's to a fantastic season :scarfer:
Hawaiian hammer

Post by Hawaiian hammer »

If anyone would have told us at the end of last season that we were going to get Song, last seasons top scorer in the Argentinian league (Zarate), the best fullback in the Championship (Cresswell), a youngster as promising as Poyet, a forward who scored more goals than the entire England squad at the World Cup Finals (Valencia), a beast of a central midfielder (Kouyate) and an England fullback (Jenkinson) then we would have had them sectioned.

Kouyate and Cresswell have impressed in their games. Zarate and Sakho have both scored on their debuts. It has been an exceptionally good transfer window. Not all the signings are going to settle immediately and it is unrealistic to expect them too. We have a lot more quality now and it is up to BFS to put the pieces together into a cohesive team.
Hammer_scout51

Post by Hammer_scout51 »

Would love to have seen a CB. However what a brilliant window, only hope the fat fella picks players on merit. Otherwise it could all fall apart very easily.
the wren
Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Post by the wren »

Voted yes but a little concerned about Valencia and Sakho up front as we'll see very little of Carroll this season. If we ever see him at all.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

Best window I can remember: We are surely stronger in almost all positions. We have replaced most of the old guard who have served us well but were approaching their sell-by-date. Our buys are young, hopefully less injury prone, and for the most part should actually appreciate in value. We could even get money for them if they leave - it happens at other clubs, honest.

I could see no justification for voting "no" but that doesn't mean I don't have concerns: Valencia is an exciting punt but it's a massive gamble. He could prove far better than Shane Long or Conor Wickham etc or there again, he could turn out to be another Maiga. There are no guarantees even if you are in the fortunate position of being able to spend mega-money - Fernando Torres,anyone?

I do agree that another quality centre back would have been great. That Antonio Ruediger would have been just the ticket by all accounts (I've not seen him play) but he wasn't interested in coming. There must be some good young CB prospects in the Bundesliga who would be keen to play in the PL though. There was no point in acquiring a 4th choice CB. Reece Burke lacks experience but has more talent than potential 4th choices we might have signed. At 18 I wouldn't want him playing every week but there's no reason he shouldn't play his part at CB this season, mind you Allardyce will probably play Joey O'Brien there rather than pick young Reece or Dan, I expect.

Goal-keeper is a position we might want to improve on next window but Adrian should be good enough for now, Rome wasn't built in a day and all that ...

All in all I'm very happy and I think the owners and the manager have done a fine job. Now it remains to be seen if SA can get this team to perform to it's new-found potential and that is another of my concerns.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

If you take away Valencia, I think purely from a business point of view and on paper, it's the best transfer window we've ever had.
Of course, in practice it can prove so different. We'll see.

On Valencia, I expressed huge caution before he signed.
So many Colombian and Ecuadorian players of his ilk are very, very rash indeed and come from a truly abysmal standard of football.

Back when we were linked with both Valencia and Konoplyanka, I expressed a huge desire for the latter and if it was just a straight shoot off, based on a couple of million, I feel we've shot ourselves in the foot.

My fear, is that Valencia will be a rash, chicken headed, energetic player who will plummet in value.

My god, I hope I'm proven spectacularly wrong.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

How quick are Valencia or Sakho?

At the moment there is no deterrent for even the most lumbering opposition defenders to push up without fear of being caught out by the ball over the top.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

irving boleyn wrote:How quick are Valencia or Sakho?

At the moment there is no deterrent for even the most lumbering opposition defenders to push up without fear of being caught out by the ball over the top.
Based on the Sheffield utd game they are both quick Irving. Sakho seems powerful quick whereas Valencia seems nippy quick though if that makes sense. To me both seemed faster than Maiga but slower than ravel as an initial 'feel'
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:If you take away Valencia, I think purely from a business point of view and on paper, it's the best transfer window we've ever had.
Of course, in practice it can prove so different. We'll see.
It's definitely a strange one to call, this window. There's definitely an argument for it being our best ever as you say. But at the same time, the success of a transfer window is as much about fitting together a jigsaw and addressing weaknesses as it is about the quality of players you bring in, and on that latter point we've potentially had a pretty mediocre window.

Now the dust has settled, we have a very strong midfield, some pretty good wide players, and RB is as strong as it has been in donkey's.

The biggest issue is CB is still susceptible to a long-term injury. We're better than we were last season for the odd game - Kouyate and Song are both better than what we had for a fill-in - but I don't know how well it would work for weeks on end.

And at striker, for all the money spent, it's still a complete question mark. And that includes when Carroll is fit and among the options. Fingers crossed for Valencia or Sakho to hold their own.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Sakho could be our signing of the Summer imo. Kouyate obviously looks the business but we paid good money for him.

Sakho looks direct, powerful, eye for goal and at a bargain price. He has scored goals wherever he has gone, let's hope he continues here.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 423 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Sam's been talking about the window on the OS: http://www.whufc.com/articles/20140902/ ... 84_4116001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most interesting bits are about Sakho and Valencia:
"There are some players of development among our signings in young Sakho and Diego Poyet"
"All the others, we're hoping will adapt to be very successful, particularly Enner Valencia. However, he is the most difficult one coming from South America and from a club in Mexico, so we may need to be a little more patient with him".
I'm sure part of that is an attempt to take the pressure off, but, by the same token, if he thought they were already ripe for the PL then I don't think he'd actively play down their ability.
Abcdef

Post by Abcdef »

I find these comments a bit worrying
I translate them as Sakho and Poyet won't be seen much this season and Valencia is a worry.
Where is our transfer window solution to the biggest problem, lack of goals?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Abcdef wrote:I find these comments a bit worrying
I translate them as Sakho and Poyet won't be seen much this season and Valencia is a worry.
Where is our transfer window solution to the biggest problem, lack of goals?
Only if you don't read the whole quote. He also says "There, we are hoping to develop them this season, but it may not be this season."

I read that as they will given the chances and if all goes to plan they will make the grade this season.

Sakho is a natural goalscorer, as are Zarate and Valencia. With the service coming from Song, Kouyate and Amalfatino, where do you not see a solution?
Abcdef

Post by Abcdef »

Only if you don't read the whole quote. He also says "There, we are hoping to develop them this season, but it may not be this season."

I read that as they will given the chances and if all goes to plan they will make the grade this season.

Sakho is a natural goalscorer, as are Zarate and Valencia. With the service coming from Song, Kouyate and Amalfatino, where do you not see a solution?[/quote]

Allardyce's comments don't sound like a man who is confident in the ability of Sakho and Valencia.
Zarate I don't see starting 12 games. He is most certainly not Allardyces cup of tea.
That leaves us with Carrol and Cole to score goals. Did we not learn from last season?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Abcdef wrote: That leaves us with Carrol and Cole to score goals. Did we not learn from last season?
Can't argue with that. If you arbitrarily exclude all our forwards except for Carroll and Cole, you're just left with Carroll and Cole.