The Transfer Window Poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Are you pleased with West Ham's transfer business during the summer window?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:09 am

Yes
84%
No
4%
Undecided
11%

Total votes: 426

wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Re: The Transfer Window Poll

Post by wivenhoetim »

Just don't see how you can say no. For a club of our size (at present) we have made some serious statements of intent..Kouyate and Valencia in particular. We are clearly giving out some serious messages regarding our future for the likes of Song and Poyet to want to join the revolution.We have potentially the best squad ever, after a really sticky year or two and still some are disappointed....The one player who hasn't signed up yet is that elusive 12th man, and maybe if he did he would make the most impact on what could be a really exciting team?. :crest:
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Good widow in terms of purchases, but I find myself increasingly disillusioned & only looking at these lads & wondering, "so who plays where in our 4-5-1?"

Also which one of these lads will be getting a 2 or 3 game trial before Nolan slips straight back into the team, whether fully fit or otherwise

Hope I'm proved wrong & the logic in strengthening our squad allows Allardyce to consider alternatives to Carlton trudging about with Collins blasting the ball over his head
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

A perfect window? No of course not. I know we have midfielders and full backs who can cover centre half but I don't want to see our midfield disrupted so would have much preferred a 4th centre half to come in. And up front we need either Sakho or Valencia to click because I agree that we look short of goals if they don't.

Otherwise that was a terrific, transformative window. Our best ever. Much as I had so much time and respect for what they did for us these last few years we basically replaced older, injury prone players with younger, stronger ones. Bought a bit of pace too. Not enough maybe, but still quite a big step in the right direction.

Crucially I think, we now have a squad where several of its members won't need replacing every year/ or relied on to hang on in there for just one more season. That's important because it means in future windows we can sign quality over quantity. For what it's worth I think the balance between quantity and quality was just about as good as they could get it this Summer.

Well done to the Daves and Sam. They backed him to the tune of about £25 million (net). Not much to the Citys of this world I know, but still I believe the most we've ever spent. So well fair play to all concerned.

Over to you now Sam- you have a squad, that whilst still not finished has come on far more than I think could have been reasonably expected at the start of the Summer.
Last edited by DaveWHU1964 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

Very good window. All the players in look like upgrades on the players out.

Would have liked another CB but assuming Sam sees either Burke as that or utilising one of Kouyate or Song in case of emergency.

No excuses for playing rubbish football now though, Sam needs to get these boys ticking.
OFT
Has liked: 3185 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

Yes,
Not least of all because a lot was done early and that gives the impression of a little thought and consideration of the process rather than the last minute shambles it has seemed to be in the past.

Good work West Ham
Superslav
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Superslav »

In terms of players purchased I would say that this is probably our most ambitious and pleasing window ever. I can remember the year we bought Burrows, Marsh and Chapman, and the late season purchases of Hartson, Kitson and Lomas. Now those buys certainly made a massive impact on our season.

I'm just a little bit reluctant to say that it's been a good transfer window as I do wonder how some of these very talented players will be used in the negative and defensive minded system Sam employs.

Zarate will be straight onto the bench, or onto the wing when Nolan gets back. When Sakho starts to replace Cole as the target man, Valencia will be on the bench or wing. And, then when Carroll returns, Sakho, Valencia and Zarate go on the bench or are thrown out on the wing.

Jenkinson and Cresswell both seem to be solid signings, but again, their attacking instincts will be stifled.

The only signings that I am completely convinced by are Kouyate and Song, but again my optimism is slightly dulled by the fact that if there are any injuries to our centre backs, one of these midfield powerhouses will be stuck back at centre half.

A good window, but unlike my other favourite windows, there seems to be less design and more arbitrariness. It's great having talented players in the squad, but I'm not convinced Sam has picked all of them, or knows how to get the best out of what is probably the best midfield, and arguably, the best, or at least the most comprehensive attack, we've had at the Boleyn Ground in many years.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 1634 likes

Post by chalks »

Not happy

We have a first choice keeper that is a back up at best, and we needed to strengthen our central defence. 2 of our main 3 centre backs quite simply aren't quite up to it imo.

We also STILL lack a proven goalscorer
Kev59
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

Yes.

By the time we play Hull it's reported that only Carroll and Nolan will be injured. There are going to be some "big" names that won't even make it on to the bench.

Three "first choice" centre half's is enough, with decent back up in the way of Kouyate and Song. If we'd got a 4th centre back, it would have been someone who in all likelihood would have been pretty naff (and who wouldn't have been able to play anywhere else). The only exception to that would have been Micah Richards, but he's more of a right back anyway, and we're OK in that position.
maltab

Post by maltab »

Voted Yes - The key now is to get a squad that's injury free.Know what our strongest 11 are, and get a settled side that is playing week in week out. Good to have options coming off the bench too, but i would like to think we can do better than Cole and Vaz Te up front.
Important we kept hold of Reid, For another couple of months at least.Hopefully he will sign a new deal.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Had to vote undecided. It has been a much better window than recent seasons however i have my reservations about Valencia (the fee) and also Sakho (being unproven at a higher level).

Cresswell, Kayoute and Poyet all get a thumbs up.

However we didn't sign a center back and are now hoping we dont suffer injuries/suspensions so we have to play midfielders back there.
Stortfordhammer

Post by Stortfordhammer »

Creswell Zarate & Kouyate all look like they cold be decent signings.
I'll have to reserve judgement on the others until we see them get a good few run-outs. I'd have loved to see a bit more of the newbies on saturday instead of RVT &/or CC!
Not losing any of our key players, Reid etc has to be seen as a good thing.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

Sorry...I had to put No as I don't think our key problems were addressed namely CB, Goalkeeper and goal scoring. To be fair, I nearly put undecided but thought was just sitting on the fence.

Reid has been flakey for some time now, Collins makes one big mistake every game and JT is slightly erratic.......all of them needed some more competition for places.

Adrian doesn't convince me (loved his comedy dive after the third went in on Saturday) and over £15 million on Valencia and Sakho could be the best bit of business we have ever done.......or could be Barerra and Miaga part 2. A massive gamble.

Midfield though....no grumbles there to be honest. Kayoute looks the part, Poyet has bags of potential and if Song can replicate his Gooner form....wow.
Exiledin cardiff
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Voted no because

We did not sign a first choice centre back to partner Reid. I think Kouyate is more valuable to us in the middle of the field, and Song as the holding DM, buy asking them to fill in as CB depletes the midfield.

Secondly we need a first choice keeper I am still not fully convinced by Adrian, if suddenly he was to pick up an injury I don't believe that Jussi is up to , Would much have preferred a keeper who is going to make Adrian play at his best and have to fight for his place.

as good as the transfer window was we just need that bit of extra in the CB and Keeper position
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

I voted undecided with so many players I've never seen play before.

Sakho and Valencia could have a touch of the Maiga's about them.
Kouyote looks a very good signing in his first few games, but so did Diame.
Cresswell looks good going forward, not so sure defensively.
Zarate was a free and generally players are a free for a reason. Won't start in front of Nolan anyway.
Poyet looks one for the future.
Jenkinson never really rated, but others seem to.
Song should be a good signing, if he is hungry for it.
Amalfitano I can't remember pulling up any trees at West Brom.

Needed a leader of a CB and a goalscorer IMO (Sakho may be this, but far from confident he will be).
Zippycat57
Has liked: 71 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Zippycat57 »

Like most people I voted yes but would probably score it at 6 or 6.5 out of 10. Our midfield looks really strong on paper at least and we've got some good wide options as well. And increased competition should keep them all on their toes. However, as has been said by many I'm concerned that our defence, which last year probably kept us up, is looking a little suspect. Another first choice centre back would make all the difference. I like Adrian but bringing someone like Cech in for a year in for a year would IMHO have been a great move and Adrian would have learned a lot from him. I hope Valencia and Sakho come good but would we have been better off investing £15 on a proven goalscorer - assuming we could get them to come of course.
But I'm hopeful it will work, we finish top 10 and have a good cup run
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

I am going to say 'no', but it's not quite so clear cut for me.

Positives:

- Kouyate seems to be the player we've been missing more or less since MVF. Excellent.
- Cresswell is younger and more mobile than Linda.
- Poyet looks good for the medium term future.

Negatives:

- who do we reasonably expect to score 12-15 goals up front? Valencia might, Zarate might, but I don't think the board can expect that of either of them will. We needed someone proven in this league.
- We're still a couple of injuries away from a very serious problem in defence.
- As yet, the Reid situation hasn't been resolved, and looks to be unsettling.

The board can only have themselves to blame if the deficiencies that many people have pointed out come back to bite them, though I'm sure the blame will be aimed at BFS. That said, I'd be delighted and willing to be proven completely wrong.
Doctor Mopp
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Doctor Mopp »

Voted no.

Priority for me was a first choice CB, not a 4th choice (that should be Collins). If Reid gets an injury like last year we will struggle in the same way again.
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

We may not have a perfect 11 yet,
but seeing the names coming in, and knowing our history, I can not understand how people can vote no.

One, or even probably the best, window ever. Younger, brighter and some more pace...
Of course we don't know if some names will be a hit or miss, but that is the case with every player, even those who have been good in a PL-club earlier (the Fellaini-case). But some of you guys are really tough out there....

Great credit to our owners, just have to adress the manager problem now ;-)...

For the 4th time, no news on Chambers?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 870 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

It was an easy YES vote for me.

Without a doubt, our best transfer window for many a year. We now have the ingredients, not sure if the right chef is in the kitchen though.
Me ol china

Post by Me ol china »

Very happy with that, i actually rate our goalkeeper & am happy with the experience Jussi brings as a number 2

Ok we have not bought a goalscorer who will guarantee goals at this level but we have bought 3 that have good goalscoring records albeit at a lower level so hopefully at least one of them comes good, the only place i would have liked to strengthen more was an experienced center back but all in all very good