Transfer Window: January 2015

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Re: January 2015 Transfer Window - News & Rumours

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

bubbles1966 wrote: How much they have to spend, and how much work they have to do, really does depend on the futures of Jenkinson, Noble, Reid and Song.

Nail them all and play the Bosman/loan market well and all will be hunky dory.

Miss out on the lot and we could end up seeing one or two surprise contract renewals for people like carlton as there won't be enough money to go around covering all the bases.
Not so sure on the hunky dory (and it depends on the loans). We only need to miss out on Song to have taken a massive step back from this year, song and reid go - thats the budget gone to get to the same level as this year. We would still be short of what we are now and our ageing/fading players will have another 8 months on their backs. Nolan, Noble, Downing, Collins will all be creeping (one of them rushing headlong) into the need replacing bracket by the start of next season.

We seem to be playing every season in a very hand to mouth way still.
bubbles1966 wrote: One of the positives to take out of yesterday was that we had a taker for Jarvis.
Nice I wasn't paying attention last night, who did we sell him to?
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

There are also players in the summer who pop up out of nowhere and become a transfer target witihin 5 minutes. For example if I came on here last February and told you all we will sign Alex Song what will you have told me? There may well be opportunities that present themselves out of nowhere a la Song that we just don't see coming.

I suggested last night that Cahill could be available in the summer, you might laugh but where else would he go if moved on? We would be serious contenders for his signature.

If we don't sign Song, then that's £10-£15 million we have for someone floating about. I don't think it's the end of the world some are predicting. There will be someone to come in and replace him. I don't know who but I suppose my main point is that there are still a thousand and one surprises to come between and now and the end of the season of players that could become available.

This was a disappointing window but promises were made for this summer, I'll judge the owners on August 31st 2015.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Nice I wasn't paying attention last night, who did we sell him to?
He didn't go anywhere in the end Sammy. But i looked like we might (weirdly even by our standards) swap (on loan) one of our players (him) for another one (Zarate) with QPR. But in the end it fell through because the authorities baulked at it.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

What was the motive behind Cahill's contract being cancelled? do people think it was player motivated after being promised a move elsewhere or the MLS club wanting rid?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

chappo59 wrote:What was the motive behind Cahill's contract being cancelled? do people think it was player motivated after being promised a move elsewhere or the MLS club wanting rid?
Big pay day in China apparently.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

I seriously don't get the bizarre rule why we could not get Zarate back if QPR did not want him.

We are his parent club, QPR wanted to terminate the loan agreement & give him back to his parent club(us).

Fair enough..he then plays for us again. That means he would have played for 2 clubs in one season, us & QPR,

Why is this not allowed?? We did not sell Zarate to QPR..we loaned him.

:eh:
vapourtrail

Post by vapourtrail »

MrHammer73 wrote:I seriously don't get the bizarre rule why we could not get Zarate back if QPR did not want him.

We are his parent club, QPR wanted to terminate the loan agreement & give him back to his parent club(us).

Fair enough..he then plays for us again. That means he would have played for 2 clubs in one season, us & QPR,

Why is this not allowed?? We did not sell Zarate to QPR..we loaned him.

:eh:
We could have recalled Zarate, but Jarvis wouldn't have been allowed to join QPR during this window.
SammyLeeWasOffside

DaveWHU1964 wrote: He didn't go anywhere in the end Sammy. But i looked like we might (weirdly even by our standards) swap (on loan) one of our players (him) for another one (Zarate) with QPR. But in the end it fell through because the authorities baulked at it.
Ah ok, so no actual taker yet

Off topic a bit but did anyone hear the 'bottom drawer attire' guy on talksport yesterday? Best bit of the window by a mile :lol:
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Big pay day in China apparently.
Thanks mate missed that one :thup:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Nolan, Noble, Downing, Collins will all be creeping (one of them rushing headlong) into the need replacing bracket by the start of next season.
Nolan is one of the ten who should be out of the club by the end of the summer window.

He shouldn't be in the frame for selection at all next year.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

[/quote]
We could have recalled Zarate, but Jarvis wouldn't have been allowed to join QPR during this window.[/quote]

Hmmm..ok but wonder why that was not allowed either?

As I know you not allowed to loan 2 premiership players from the same club at the same time but with Zarate coming and Jarvis going the other way..that would not have happened.

Anyway I prefer Jarvis here instead of Zarate as we have no wide players.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

It was mentioned on SSN (suspect I know) that the reason for Jarvis being lined up as a replacement was to sweeten QPR so we could recall Zarate and remain on good terms. I say f*** em. No love lost there.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

I don't even think there is bias involved in my opinion now... The authorities love to f*** us over. There should have been no issue with us recalling Zarate.

I can see us getting thrown it of the FA Cup now as well.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Noble's not heading towards 'needs to be replaced', he's only 27! The others you mentioned are all in ther 30s.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Hopefully this will teach us the lessons of:
1. do your business early
2. don't make your transfers like a house buying chain
3. read the rules

However, to be honest we have lightened our wage bill from players who weren't going to get a game and retained all of our best players (and yes i do include carlton in that as i suspect it was him who wanted to go being as his contract is up in the summer, rather than us pushing him out). We did buy a centre back even if he is too raw to play straight away and there is still time to get unattached players such as Lassana Diarra.

It's just a shame as usual we're getting to look like mugs again and that isn't being helped by the sakho situation.
SammyLeeWasOffside

thejackhammer wrote:Noble's not heading towards 'needs to be replaced', he's only 27! The others you mentioned are all in ther 30s.
Fair enough I thought he was older, seems to have been here for ever lol.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Nolan is one of the ten who should be out of the club by the end of the summer window.

He shouldn't be in the frame for selection at all next year.
I'm interested to know who you think the other nine are mate.

I agree that Nolan shouldn't be in the frame for selection after this season, but he has a lot to offer in terms of coaching and passing on his natural leadership abilities to our younger players so to get him out of the club completely would be short sighted imo.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

We didn't want Zarate, but have now effectively told Jarvis, we rate him even less than Zarate. But we have ended up with Jarvis staying here.

Also telling Carlton Cole we don't really want him again, only for him to come back here :D.

It's a great sequence of events, that I'm not surprised our club managed to put together.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I guess I look at last years window.

We got Nocherino, Borriello, Armero, And Johnson.

However, when it actually came to settling the team, it was the one we had all along, even with the injuries that we had. In fact, we let go of Rat, Maiga, Raval, and thay were not really offset, as none of the signed players really got a look in.

But te rest of the league did little or no business in this window, with the Cuadrado deal the exception. Essentially Zaha, Fletcher, and the lad who signed for Arsenal were some of the most exciting deals, which speaks volumes. I really think Clubs are essentially in the same position.
robdf2

Post by robdf2 »

kitthehammer wrote:Hopefully this will teach us the lessons of:
1. do your business early
2. don't make your transfers like a house buying chain
3. read the rules
You can only do that as long as all the other premiership teams follow the same logic.

If you want to do early business and your target is from Team A , they may be willing to sell but might have important games coming up they want that player for , or they might need to find a replacement first , so they target a player from Team B and it all starts again.
So unless a player has made it clear hes leaving or you offer a stupid amount , or you can do a swap deal its hard to just say do your business early.