Transfer Window: January 2015

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Re: January 2015 Transfer Window - News & Rumours

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote: Vaz Te, Morrison, Maiga and Jarvis are probables IMO.

I reckon the "willing to listen" list will extend to Zarate, Cole, Demel, O'Brien and Jussi if they get a glimpse of the right replacement.

Six of these are out of contract in the summer any way.
With the exception of Carlton I'd offload all of them .Offload probably sounds harsh on a good pro like O'Brien who has always done his best for us and who cost us nowt but at his stage he probably wants regular football .

I'd keep Carlton simply because I like the bloke . :D He's the sort of player who will come on in the 89th minute of a cup final and win the trophy for you .

Having said that we have a looming problem , with our Chairman's policy of see and try before you buy.

Jenkinson is not our player , so if Demel goes and we can't get Jenks for a reasonable fee we need two RB's in the summer .

Song is not our player .........and the Chairman will be under huge pressure to break the bank for him this summer .

Reid soon won't be our player .......so we will need 2 CB's that are good enough joining us ( has anyone seen Henry play).

Effectively the summer transfer budget is gone already unless we get a top 4 spot .

Pressure on .
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

How much in wages would those 6 players out of contract in the summer free up.

At a guess I'd say

Cole 30
JOB 25
Demel 20
Vaz Te 20
Morrison 15
Jussi 15

That's 125k a week, 6.5 million a year

For 6 fringe players that's a decent sum to really strengthen with.. Sod January I can't wait for the summer.

:scarfer:
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

the pink palermo wrote:With the exception of Carlton I'd offload all of them .Offload probably sounds harsh on a good pro like O'Brien who has always done his best for us and who cost us nowt but at his stage he probably wants regular football .

I'd keep Carlton simply because I like the bloke . :D He's the sort of player who will come on in the 89th minute of a cup final and win the trophy for you .

Having said that we have a looming problem , with our Chairman's policy of see and try before you buy.

Jenkinson is not our player , so if Demel goes and we can't get Jenks for a reasonable fee we need two RB's in the summer .

Song is not our player .........and the Chairman will be under huge pressure to break the bank for him this summer .

Reid soon won't be our player .......so we will need 2 CB's that are good enough joining us ( has anyone seen Henry play).

Effectively the summer transfer budget is gone already unless we get a top 4 spot .

Pressure on .
Damn it I forgot about that , you've ruined Christmas... You utter Scroogey ****
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

we will also win a trillion more pounds for finishing so much higher than expected. We'd get even more if we win something. We could cash in on Sakho or Kouyate or Valencia if it all goes tits up. In which case our loanees won't be interested in sticking around and we will go back to being an also ran.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I we go about this intelligently and sign song and manage to finish pretty high up, that should start attracting decent players on reasonable wages - if you add the olympic stadium factor too.
i think Song may be our one first team purchase this winter.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

DICAN10 wrote:How much in wages would those 6 players out of contract in the summer free up.

At a guess I'd say

Cole 30
JOB 25
Demel 20
Vaz Te 20
Morrison 15
Jussi 15

That's 125k a week, 6.5 million a year

For 6 fringe players that's a decent sum to really strengthen with.. Sod January I can't wait for the summer.

:scarfer:
Why would you get rid of Jussi?

I'm probably his biggest critic on this website but I'd rather him in goal than James Collins, who would be the alternative if Adrian got injured.
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

The Guardian have linked us with a move for Kiev defender Aleksandar Dragovic.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/sport/ ... Kiev_star/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't see this in January though, he's very highly rated and would cost quite a bit.
dplus91
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by dplus91 »

I'd be surprised if there is any more than one out (excluding Morrison) & one in (excluding Henry). No need to disrupt the squad too much. Also, Sullivan might appreciate a window off for a change.

Jarvis might be our most bankable fringe player & he has largely disappointed over his time with us but I think he could yet have a useful role to play, particularly in January when the formation & personnel may have to change. He'll get crosses in for Carroll & Valencia. Could even play him & Valencia either side of Carroll.

Vaz Te I'm less sure about but O'Brien is a really useful guy to keep around beyond next Summer.
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 438 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

the pink palermo wrote: Reid soon won't be our player .......so we will need 2 CB's that are good enough joining us ( has anyone seen Henry play).
I've seen him play from when I use to live in Toronto. Don't expect him to walk into the starting 11. It will be much like when Reid joined. I can see a lot if people being unhappy with his performances. The hope is that Henry will improve the way Reid did under Sam's coaching.
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Reid soon won't be our player .......so we will need 2 CB's that are good enough joining us ( has anyone seen Henry play).
Greatest Hits Vol1 wrote:I've seen him play from when I use to live in Toronto. Don't expect him to walk into the starting 11. It will be much like when Reid joined. I can see a lot if people being unhappy with his performances. The hope is that Henry will improve the way Reid did under Sam's coaching.
I echo what GHV1 says, I am a Toronto season ticket holder, and as I posted the other day when the news first broke about Henry, he is young and not near the standard of the Premier league, he will not feature this season I am certain.

He is technically a good player but prone to miss-time tackles and picks up cards like confetti, this is in a league where not many cards are given. He is good on the ball and can come forward with it.

He will not have had the quality of players around him like he will have at WHU, TFC obviously have Defore, Bradley and Cesar, but Defoe was injured as many times as he was fit it seemed (good luck QPR on that one :wink: ), Bradley is a tidy player (US International) and would be the one I would take from TFC if I had a choice.
Absentee Hammer

Faubert's Boot wrote:The Guardian have linked us with a move for Kiev defender Aleksandar Dragovic.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/sport/ ... Kiev_star/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't see this in January though, he's very highly rated and would cost quite a bit.
Not if what Sam says is true and someone comes after Reid with 20M quid burning a hole in their pockets
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Maiga on move again?

West Ham attacker Modibo Maiga has fallen out with Metz manager Albert Cartier and is set to quit the club and therefore his loan agreement.

The Malian international’s agents are already looking for a new club for the player which he can go to on loan, having offered him to both Nice and SC Bastia.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Hopefully Vaz Te and Maiga out, Jarvis if we get the right bid and Morrison to whoever fancies the challenge of him.
american 'ammer

Post by american 'ammer »

Not that Sam gives a toss, but would be incredibly savy to get an up-and-coming American player to couple with the added exposure of NBC's coverage of the Premier League here. Tottscum got Yedlin, and I have a friend who started to follow them because of it (no matter that I told him it meant friendship over).

Poaching Julian Green wouldn't be a bad idea. Or a defensive player like Timothy Chandler.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Just to echo what some have said already this side of the pond...Henry is physically gifted, above average on the ball, but has a bit of a reputation in Toronto for his consistent gaffes. A lot of it you can put down to his age, as MLS for whatever reason has not been a league kind to teenage defenders. Also a bit has been playing for one of the most inconsistent backlines in the league for over three years and being in and out of the squad.

He has shown glimpses of becoming a quality defender, though. He has very good recovery speed and is strong in the tackle, so much so that he's been on the wrong side of a lot of questionable refereeing decisions (and to be fair, quite a few correct ones). He's a very strong set piece defender. It's pretty easy to see why Sam has taken to him in past viewings, and for the modest sum we will pay for him he could be an extremely worthwhile project.
WHUJohn

Post by WHUJohn »

american 'ammer wrote:Not that Sam gives a toss, but would be incredibly savy to get an up-and-coming American player to couple with the added exposure of NBC's coverage of the Premier League here. Tottscum got Yedlin, and I have a friend who started to follow them because of it (no matter that I told him it meant friendship over).

Poaching Julian Green wouldn't be a bad idea. Or a defensive player like Timothy Chandler.
Yedlin isn't a PL right back, nowhere near smart enough yet.

There isn't many players in the MLS that can make the transition to the Prem really.
Last edited by WHUJohn on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

There is a thread on WHO regarding Kia Joorabchian and suggesting he is representing Doneil Henry.I sincerely hope if that turns out to be the case(and hoping it is not)that the club have done their homework and there are no 3rd party issues like in the past.
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

Faubert's Boot wrote:The Guardian have linked us with a move for Kiev defender Aleksandar Dragovic.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/sport/ ... Kiev_star/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's like Repka, yes please. :scarfer:
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

I honestly don't think Townsend is any better than Jarvis, honestly. Do you think we should take a look at Salah though?
Absentee Hammer

w6hammer wrote:There is a thread on WHO regarding Kia Joorabchian and suggesting he is representing Doneil Henry.I sincerely hope if that turns out to be the case(and hoping it is not)that the club have done their homework and there are no 3rd party issues like in the past.
Oh cr*p, I hope this is not true as I don't want that sneaky geezer anywhere near our club.

The Henry transfer already looks slightly suspicious, he was secretly sold to a Cypriot club last spring but it was not announced by TFC or the MLS and was immediately loaned back indefinately, TFC retain a large sell on clause too, one good thing I have seen was that Doneil Henry's agent when all this info was released in October was some chap called Courtney James and not Kia bent as a nine-bob-note Joorabchian

It was suggested that the TFC deal to the the Cypriot club was to circumvent the MLS salary cap, but seeing as he spent a while with us last season and we liked him, but the work permit was an issue, then I do hope we have no skeletons in this deal as you can be sure McCabe is routing though it all looking for some new reason to sue