Transfer Window: Summer 2015

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Hawaiian hammer

Re: Summer 2015 transfer thread

Post by Hawaiian hammer »

Penfold711 wrote:Very good transfer window I think.

The icing on the cake for me was Spurs being stuck with Adebayor while he also proved he is nothing more than a mercenary, wanting money despite his apparent 'desperation' to play for us (if he was that desperate, he wouldn't have demanded a full pay off). Either way, West Ham cannot be blamed for this move not coming off. The cherry on the cake would have been Everton pulling out of the Lennon deal at the last minute but that's just me being greedy.
I think Adebayor is correct in his stance. Him and Spurs agreed a contract that Levy now wants out of for less than they agreed for.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

What a cracking transfer window that turned out to be

We have improved the team and improved the depth/quality of the squad. At Liverpool, due to injuries, we had a bench full of teenagers & Jarvis, and as much as I like seeing the kids break through into the first team squad that was alarming.

Fair play to the board for what they achieved and its great to see them backing the manager in this way
Slavs to the vibe

Post by Slavs to the vibe »

AndyCarrollsBarber wrote:Did Merson write that article, or did a 10 year old? I can't decide.

Sky must have a deal with AA to keep him on the straight and narrow. They certainly can't be employing him for his footballing insight. The bloke is an embarrassment.
I would actually agree with our assessment of a B but I think if you asked anyone to rate both Man City and Man Utds transfer dealings only someone who is on the bottle would give them both the same grade of B- . Sterling, De Bruyne and Delph up against Depay, Schneiderlin and Martial (who?) :lol:
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

The biggest gain since we kicked off the season is in increasing the variety of avenues we have of advancing the play.

After Christmas last season, our attack more or less had been reduced to firing in endless crosses - when that didn't work we were f*cked, even in games where otherwise we played ok on the ball on the whole. 13 goals in 21 games tells its own story. And those early Europa games with Nolan, Noble and Poyet passing sideways for 90 mins and no-one setting any forward momentum were terrifying.

At least in theory, we now have Moses offering a head down, chaaarge!-type way of advancing the play, Lanzini a more cultured dribbling version of that, Payet is Payet and can do whatever he wants, Song has his through balls, Antonio appears to be more of a goalscoring wide forward than a traditional supply-line winger which we didn't previously have, despite attempting it with Valencia. And we have our annual 6 weeks of Carroll being good at corners and set pieces against Swansea for a bit of aerial threat as well. WHo knows if we can make use of all of them consistently, but it looks promising.
umweb
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by umweb »

Aceface wrote:I don't think this window was transformational for us. It certainly was for clubs like Palace and Stoke, albeit it remains to be seen whether it's in a positive direction for the latter. And CIty undoubtedly strengthened the most. Newcastle are in far better shape than when the last ball was kicked last season.

No way did we improve the most this summer. Which is what it really comes down to.
i think we improved and it is transformational. we strengthened where we needed without paying stupid amounts and we cut away most of what we no longer needed. our squad seems younger and better balanced than last year.

city, palace and stoke all have the same manager... most importantly for us is a new manager who had to quickly evaluate our old players and decide on new ones. in that respect, i think some of our old players should be given the chance to be re-evaluated not only by bilic but by us fans. the hardest thing with a new manager (especially one replacing allardyce) is continuing to build on the foundation that existed before and i fully believe we did that as efficiently as possible.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

umweb wrote: i think we improved and it is transformational. we strengthened where we needed without paying stupid amounts and we cut away most of what we no longer needed. our squad seems younger and better balanced than last year.

city, palace and stoke all have the same manager... most importantly for us is a new manager who had to quickly evaluate our old players and decide on new ones. in that respect, i think some of our old players should be given the chance to be re-evaluated not only by bilic but by us fans. the hardest thing with a new manager (especially one replacing allardyce) is continuing to build on the foundation that existed before and i fully believe we did that as efficiently as possible.
I think we improved, I just don't think we were close to being the most improved.

For me our "transformational" window was last year - that represented a completely new signings profile that we've continued into this season.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5669 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

It has been a decent window, but with so many changes at the club I am not expecting this to translate to instant success.

The new players need time to settle in and the coaches need time to work out our game plan at home.

Definitely moving in the right direction, but lets see where we are come Christmas.
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

MB wrote:It has been a decent window, but with so many changes at the club I am not expecting this to translate to instant success.

The new players need time to settle in and the coaches need time to work out our game plan at home.

Definitely moving in the right direction, but lets see where we are come Christmas.
Wise words MB.
The manager and the squad will need time to bed in. The intention to play the right way is obviously there. We need to be patient.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The value of a deeper squad should show itself in fewer makeshift solutions to problems, and shorter injuries.

Far too often in recent years, players with niggles have been put into action when less than 100% only to exacerbate the problem because the drop in quality to the reserves was a cliff-edge one.

All in all, the reasonable, long term objective from the window - 18-20 PL standard players - has been achieved.

The areas where the depth is wafer thin are fewer (full back is the obvious remaining one), and the quality of the squad fillers appears to be improved in most cases. The spine is deeper, more durable and stronger, as well as younger, faster and generally more adept technically.

Would expect it to be O'Brien and Collins' swan song seasons, and those two have been great in the trenches at times over the preceding three seasons.
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

Hawaiian hammer wrote:I think Adebayor is correct in his stance. Him and Spurs agreed a contract that Levy now wants out of for less than they agreed for.
Not sure I agree entirely. Adebayor gets the opportunity to go off and pick up a salary (potentially affecting your own teams results) whilst you agree to totally pay him off in full. Why would you do that? If you have a £6m liability, you're better off paying it over 52 weeks rather than all up front.

For me, the fact that Adebayor wouldn't compromise shows you how serious he was wanting to play for us or anyone else for that matter. He could have likely compromised for £4m, taking a £2m haircut and earned £3m with us. Financially better off and gets to resurrect his career.

I was hopeful he would sign as I think on his day he can be unplayable but being how the saga played out, I'm glad we didn't now, he is obviously solely motivated by money. Him and spurs are perfect for each other
Penfold711
Has liked: 2070 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Penfold711 »

I'm afraid I have to agree whole heartedly with Simply Moore, Hawaiian, and couldn't have put it better myself. Having said that, if I was happy to just sit back and collect the cash I would do exactly what Adebayor has done.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by EvilC »

SM - he has no need or desire to resurrect his career, he's off to the Middle East next year to collect his pension. Also he's probably due a loyalty bonus (lol) from Spurs for seeing out his contract.
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

I also don't think Adebayor is being selfish here, they gave him a 4 year contract at 100k a week, if they weren't willing to pay it, they shouldn't have given it. LOL.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Almost time to consign this thread to the Hall of Fame with its predecessors. If you have any last words, please get them in sharpish!
woodford
Has liked: 416 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Matt you miserable doom mongering tw*t :lol:

close the thread quick !!! Hall of fame
Last edited by woodford on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

It's a lot of numbers in for us and perhaps it's not enough to grab the headlines of the red tops - but I'm fine with that. For years we've wanted a bit of squad depth and some more options in key areas.

So it might not have the glamour to the outsider but I think this summer builds upon last summer and sets us up very nicely for the year ahead.

And given that this is now coming to its close, a big thanks to being informed by anyone who had snippets of news and to the mods for keeping things under control :crest:
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

Zyxt.
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

Top transfer window when it all seemed doom and gloom, Board and Managment are to be congratulated.

Onwards and upwards

#COYI
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

very easy to point the finger at adebayor from the outside and say hes a money grabber as he didn't want to leave...remember what levy did to him last year? he was all set to sign for us at xmas then levy pulled the plug....adebayor is clearly going to be ****ed off at levy for this, and I don't blame him for not giving up the £5m that he would be owed by spurs

its a big "f*** you " to levy that he will sit and take his money each week and not offer anything...
Me ol china

Post by Me ol china »

Westaam wrote:Idly clicked on the Mirror's ranking of the Premier League clubs' transfer window business.

Was expecting us in at #1 or failing that, #2 or #3.

Tenth.

The Mirror is not fit to wrap up old cod.
We are joint 13th on ESPN with the following comments "A window that's a little hard to work out. They bought a lot of players, but all of a mixed level, and overhauls of that scale can be difficult. At the least, all of Dimitri Payet, Victor Moses, Angelo Ogbonna and the returning Alex Song look like relatively sure things."

Despite the highlighted bit they go on to award us a C :lol: