Transfer Window: January 2016

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

De Niro
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Post by De Niro »

The area where Spurs are far stronger than us is in defence and CDM.

They've conceded the least goals in the league, the least big chances and the lowest expected goals against.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Bubbles, do you not think Alli would get into our team?? He may be a bit over-hyped, but he is class
He plays Payet or Lanzini's position so, no.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

He is playing as a proper CM for Spurs. One who gets up and down. Not as an AM like Payet.
He is better than Noble, Kouyate and Lanzini IMHO

Anyway, that is veering off topic!
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

De Niro wrote:The area where Spurs are far stronger than us is in defence and CDM.

They've conceded the least goals in the league, the least big chances and the lowest expected goals against.
Does that hold since Song and Obiang returned to fitness?
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

De Niro wrote:The area where Spurs are far stronger than us is in defence and CDM.

Perfect time for them to lose Vertonghen then :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:PP - you still haven't come up with a player, or players, we should have tried to buy. Remy was not available
Remy was available .

They are all available .
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

There's no real historical precedent for a team buying a striker and suddenly seeing a dramatic change in their fortunes. The only example that vaguely fits is Cisse at Newcastle, but his arrival shunted Ba out wide and arguably dried up his previous scoring run, so the net result wasn't dramatically different - it was just a different Senegalese scoring the goals for them. Are there any other examples?
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Aceface wrote:There's no real historical precedent for a team buying a striker and suddenly seeing a dramatic change in their fortunes. The only example that vaguely fits is Cisse at Newcastle, but his arrival shunted Ba out wide and arguably dried up his previous scoring run, so the net result wasn't dramatically different - it was just a different Senegalese scoring the goals for them. Are there any other examples?
our own, kitson and hartson? i think they were january , not sure though

i would add i dont think i can think of a player we couldve got that would make a difference once Sakho and Carroll are back
De Niro

Post by De Niro »

bubbles1966 wrote: Does that hold since Song and Obiang returned to fitness?
From GW15 (Man United Away) to GW23:

Goals conceded: Spurs Joint 3rd, Us Joint 2nd
Big chances conceded: Spurs 1st, Us Joint 9th
Chances conceded from the 'Danger Zone' (Central): Spurs Joint 2nd, Us 20th.
Shots conceded in the area: Spurs 5th, Us 20th
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

To answer my own question - since Song/Obiang returned to fitness we've conceded seven goals in 11 league/cup games.

The best in the Premier League (2nd to Leicester if solely league games)

edit: cheers, DeNiro - just seen reply
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Beavis Danzig wrote:if we had spurs' luck with injuries
Is it luck where Carroll, Sakho, Song, Reid etc are concerned?
De Niro

Post by De Niro »

Bubbles: Just worked out the xGA for that time too: Spurs 6.3 (1st) , Us 9.6 (13th)
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

Sad to see the January 2016 Transfer Rumours thread turn in to a Spurs love in. Couldn't give a flying f*** about them, what they do, who they buy, how wonderful Harry Kane is. They are still a bunch of c****.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Reading this thread, some of us don't ask for much, do we? :lol:

Since promotion we have been spoilt with most of the signings and players we wanted going out along the way. There's very little more the Board could have done to better it. That's not to say in an absolute perfect world they couldn't have, like conclude a Lukaku deal for instance, but for probably around 90% of transfer dealings since promotion they've got it pretty much bang on and in most cases value for money. Near enough most players have gelled thanks to 2 groups of staff which is very rare in the game to happen yet we've achieved it all in double quick time.

Our transfer dealings since 2012/13 has been nothing short of outstanding with what we've had to work with in the time they've had to do it to get to this point before we make a major move away from one ground to another - 6th in the table and still in the Cup. I'm as happy as a dog with 2 dicks. To expect much more from the Board/Management/high turnover of players in that short space of time, is actually being totally unrealistic and definitely comes across as being ungrateful and any real understanding as to how difficult it must be to operate in todays game, especially negotiating a way around reducing debt and making a landmark move.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Kev59 wrote:Sad to see the January 2016 Transfer Rumours thread turn in to a Spurs love in. Couldn't give a flying **** about them, what they do, who they buy, how wonderful Harry Kane is. They are still a bunch of *****.
its not a love in , but it doesnt have to be total hate in either , thats equally as pathetic
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:
Remy was available

They are all available .
Apparently not. Chelsea decided they didn't want to sell him, and he didn't want a loan move

Anyway, anyone else or were you just expecting Remy to single-handedly fire us to the Champions League?
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

chigwells finest wrote: its not a love in , but it doesnt have to be total hate in either , thats equally as pathetic
About as pathetic as some of the comments on here? Aspiring to be the next Spurs? Moaning about not being able to close the gap in points between us and them? Whining that we didn't sign a £30m striker?
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Enough of the pathetic jibes gents please.
Boleyn Bill

Post by Boleyn Bill »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Apparently not. Chelsea decided they didn't want to sell him, and he didn't want a loan move

Anyway, anyone else or were you just expecting Remy to single-handedly fire us to the Champions League?
I watched Remy when he came on for Chelsea in the recent game where Chelsea beat 10 man Arsenal 1-0. He was absolutely diabolical. In the last 10 minutes or so Chelsea had numerous chances on the break to put the game to bed. Every single time it was Remy who wasted the chance either by taking the wrong option or displaying some of the worst ball control I have seen for a while. He also seems to be another injury prone player - and we have enough of those already. There is a reason that Chelsea were reasonably open to the idea of him leaving for a reasonable fee.
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

True, but I think they concede less goals due to their defensive unit as a whole. Due to their shape or covering from midfield they concede less. I'm not convinced about Vertonghen, I would pick Ogbonna or Reid over him any day. Alderweireld is good, improved a lot but not a world class defender. Their partnership is just a good one though.