Transfer Window: January 2016

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

DDHammer

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Post by DDHammer »

kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

If we had spent summers budget this window people would be complaining come summer when we don't buy anyone.

Gradual progression.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

All that table shows is what a great job we've done when it comes to recruitment. Get a screen print of out team 2 years a go and compare it to today's team. That's all that should concern us as fans
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

kalashnikov wrote:If we had spent summers budget this window people would be complaining come summer when we don't buy anyone.

Gradual progression.

Yep, some getting a bit over excited.

It has been a great season so far and recruitment has been spot on. Let the others fling money at it while we finally play it smart.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Net spend higher than 14 or 15 other clubs this year, more than the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Leicester. More than our mini rivals in Everton, Southampton, Palace and Stoke.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

kalashnikov wrote:If we had spent summers budget this window people would be complaining come summer when we don't buy anyone.

Gradual progression.
I think people expressing ambition are hoping that we lock-in Europe as a minimum.

If we miss out there's a good chance we'll spend the summer watching the vultures circle around Payet, Lanzini etc just as they did Swansea and Southampton.

We've finished 10th, 13th and 12th in the last three years. Whilst 8th or 9th represents improvement, it falls in that gap that is 'the rest'.

It isn't CL, it isn't Europe, it isn't relegation. It's the bit full of 'the rest' and those clubs are among the most vulnerable to the attentions of the real money clubs.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

the pink palermo wrote: There in 8 words is the reason fortunes always hiding
bubbles1966 wrote: That's close to saying, "we should know our place".
The likes of Leicester, Swansea and Southampton have all pushed for their day in the sun in the past few seasons, given it a good go but then all dropped off the pace shortly after (I am expecting the same for Leicester but don't have a crystal ball - even so, how many of their squad would you really swap for ours??).

We are just building our club back up from a huge fall slowly but surely and year on year. Man City didn't turn it around over night, not even with huge investment. We are currently tracking a top six spot which most years is a Euro place. For me that puts us currently in the same bracket that the likes of Spurs and Everton have been sat in for the last decade.

Once we achieve that, we can further strengthen our squad, look for some financial backing and push towards the top four where the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea have been sitting.

We will get there but thinking or expecting it to happen in six months is a little unrealistic (and I think you both fully get that, but just love a debate). :wink:
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

It's the premier league, you've got players like Wijnaldum joining a Newcastle team who just survived relegation last year, Doumbia, Shelvey and Andros Townsend have just gone to join a relegation dog fight. Payet joined a team that finished 12th.

If we finished 10th-7th this year I honestly don't think any of our summer targets would turn us down because of it. Sell them the dream.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

PP - i am not sure i get your logic

Why the fascination with Spurs? They are miles ahead of us development wise. Their squad is significantly better than ours. We have done remarkably well to only be six points behind them IMHO and I fully expect them to be 10-12 points ahead of us by the end of the season. A big spending transfer window may have enabled us to keep the gap with them as is now, but i cant think of any players we could have realistically signed that would have 'closed' the gap. Our Champions League chances are about 5%, maybe 10% with signings.

Leicester are top of the league. They are in a completely different position to us. Champions League probably 75% guaranteed but just need a push over the line. Even they haven't been able to get a striker in.

Plus Remy wasn't available. Chelsea decided not to sell him as they thought Falcao was going on loan to Monaco. Who else could we have signed to really push us up the table?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

My view is that the deck has barely been shuffled this window by any club, other than Newcastle and Watford, and both are borderline irrelevant to our situation.

We're one of the few sides in the league that STILL hasn't had a single opportunity this season to play its strongest XI. If - and by god it's a big if - we get an overdue bit of fortune in regards to injuries, then strengthening, guaranteed strengthening, will come via that route.

I'm dying to see the skeleton of that side that started last season so well - a match-fit, goggle-free Song in place, with Sakho and Valencia up front - augmented by Payet and Lanzini, and Carroll available for the final 25 mins off the bench. If that happens, and it seriously looks like it might be an option within a fortnight, there aren't going to be many sides that can live with us.

At least for the 10 days it's available to us before everyone is crocked again.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Surely the plan was just getting our first teamers playing again and fit

Another 20m Striker now and what happens in 2 weeks when Carroll and Sakho are fit

Spurs didn't bring anyone in, couple injuries like we had they would be buggered and won't get top 4

Lanzini and Payet playing in the same team will make the biggest difference to us... I think Carroll, Sakho and probably Emenike can put the ball in the back of the net with thre chances they create

Payet has taken most of the headlines but Lanzini has also been key to our success in my opinion
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Anyway, best deal for us this Jan was Jordan Rhodes going to Boro. In a roundabout way it probably means an extra £1.5m in the summer via the Downing clause, and also an easier passage in the cup if we beat Liverpool next week. Fabulous.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Aceface wrote:Anyway, best deal for us this Jan was Jordan Rhodes going to Boro. In a roundabout way it probably means an extra £1.5m in the summer via the Downing clause, and also an easier passage in the cup if we beat Liverpool next week. Fabulous.

wins the positive post of the day :thup:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Man City came up into the Prem in 2002 and finished 9th followed by 16th, 8th, 15th, 14th, 9th, 10th and then 5th before they broke into the top four... That is over eight years! And even then they only made the breakthrough after some very serious financial backing.

We came back up and finished 10th which was very impressive then followed it up with 13th and 12th. We have previously only had one season where we finished higher than 8th... this season we are certainly looking capable of doing that and I personally don't think it is a case of just 'knowing our place' to accept that as great progress.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Why the fascination with Spurs? They are miles ahead of us development wise. Their squad is significantly better than ours.
It really isn't. Take Kane out.
NeverSayDie

Post by NeverSayDie »

Buy Remy?

First of all he didn't want to leave Chelsea permanently, only wanted a loan deal. Wants to prove himself when the new Manager comes in.

Secondly he would've cost something like £30m in terms of fee and contract for a 29 year old with little or no sell on value.

We did enquire though apparently.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

We will have to agree to disagree then. It is significantly better across the board IMHO

Only Payet would get in their team IMHO, and even then the player they have (Ericsson) is class anyway. Reid is probably better than their two centre halves individually, but as a pair they are the best in the league

You could make a case for Cresswell, but they have two LBs of a very similar standard to him, two RBs better than we have.
They have a proper DM who knows how to play the role and two CMs in Alli and Dembele that would walk into our team
PLus a plethora of attacking players who support Kane (Lamela, Ericsson, Chadli) who would get in our team

They then have a decent back-up cast. Not great, but certainly strong enough to step in when required (Mason, Carrol, bentaleb, the Korean dude, Wimmer)

Despite being in tour best position, squad wise, for ages, we are still someway off that. All IMHO of course
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

I'm amazed they ain't 40 points clear of us if they are better in every position :D
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

the pink palermo wrote:So what's our plan to move ahead of Spurs - an on loan striker from a Turkish club while offloading a striker we bought only 6 months ago to a Chinese club ?

Does that look like a plan to you ?
I find myself agreeing with most of the stuff you post on here Pinky, but this time I think you've got it wonky.

This time (ish) last year the question would have been "what's the plan to stay in the Prem?". The fact that you're even thinking about overhauling Spuds is an indication of how far we've come, and how quickly we've done it.

And my guess is that the plan to move ahead of Spurs is to move to the OS, get a bunch of investment, and buy a few players that can sustainably get us into the top 6 (or top 4) without relying on those around us being cack. Good things come to he who waits. Or something.
lewis100985
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by lewis100985 »

lewis100985 wrote:By unknown, I mean in the Prem.
upton o'good wrote:Like Payet and lanzini.

If they've not proved their ability in the prem, we shouldn't touch them.
That's not what I meant, or said...

We have effectively swapped two proven (ish :lol: ) Prem players, for one unproven.

That's not to say that he won't be decent, just seems a strange gamble to me!