Transfer Window: January 2016

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

american 'ammer

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Post by american 'ammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote:If you gave some of the people on here a fiver, they'd complain that it wasn't a tenner.
It could have been a twenty and Spurs have a HUNDRED ITS NOT FAIR.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

To buy positions in the premises costs a lot of money...certainly more than 30 million

We're chasing a team who've done what we've been doing the last 3 or 4 years for more than a decade...we're 2 results away from almost completely catching them

Buy right...don't necessarily buy big (unless the right is big). Our right wasn't necessarily available now so we've bought smart

'We'll never get another chance like this'...echos of 12 months ago. We're good now, whose to say we won't sustain this and be in the same position in 12 months...I wouldn't bet against it

A good window...what we needed
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

Yea Why Not wrote:Our squad is remarkable. We no longer sell our better players and are improving considerably year after year

Anyone wanting more should just take a minute to remember who we are. This is easily the best West Ham team I have seen
Word! And you don't buy just to buy! And even if money are most important when to climb, I'm not looking for us to become a new Chelski. That's so uninspiring. Most of us love when smaller clubs succeed with smartness and fighting. A Leicester. Or (rather) a West Ham managed under Bilic. We take one step at a time. And still, we seem to be one of Europe's 20 richest clubs today. And have a hell of a team!
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

the pink palermo wrote:The owners have made the decision to move us into a new stadium but placed their hopes on moving up the table on a Harry Kane injury.
Hold on Pinky... back in August the aim was to still be a Premier League side as we move into the stadium, a lot of people feared that getting rid of Allardyce was putting that in real jeopardy.

Why all of a sudden do we have to be a top five side to make the move up the road? Why can't we move over there as a mid-table side and then kick on once we are getting bigger gates and have more investment??

We don't need to finish top six this season, it would be lovely, but it is far from essential. The squad and players we have have got us into Feb in a really strong position, if we can get the likes of Carroll, Lanzini and Sakho fit we could be set for a really strong finish.

Nothing wrong with taking stock one in a while, seeing how the season plays out then buying in the summer when prices are not driven by panic buying. I think a lot of clubs are doing that now, hence the really quiet transfer window.

I may have misunderstood and you may just be attacking the board over the move again... but we all know how you feel about that... as for on the pitch it really can't be faulted. We have seen definite improvement and I fully expect the final league standings to reflect that.

All you can ask for is year on year improvement.
Last edited by sutts07 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dazzaboy

Post by Dazzaboy »

Why is this our only chAnce to finish above the big boys ??

Shirley we have a better squad again next season and will have a better chance again then?
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

BillUp wrote:Why is playing in Europe so important? What is wrong with 7th or 8th place this season?
Spot on... 7th or 8th with a really good crack at the FA Cup would be perfect for me. Win the cup and you get into Europe anyway.
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

Bayram > Jenks
Emenike > Remy

What opportunity did we miss exactly ?
:scarfer:
lewis100985
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by lewis100985 »

Emenike isn't proven in the Prem...

If we let Jelavic go, as well as Zarate, to only bring in Emenike I'd be a bit concerned.

Sakho and Carroll will not stay fit until the end of the season, Valencia will not carry on scoring, IMO.

I'm hoping Jelavic stays so we have some cover, unless Slav feels a youngster can come in!
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

If Byram is injured too he's hardly better than jenkinson.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

We didn't miss out on Remy... they didn't want to let him go... he hasn't gone anywhere.

Leicester wanted him, in fact they wanted one of four strikers, but they got none of them... did we really do so bad?

I think not.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

sutts07 wrote:We didn't miss out on Remy... they didn't want to let him go... he hasn't gone anywhere.

Leicester wanted him, in fact they wanted one of four strikers, but they got none of them... did we really do so bad?

I think not.
Exactly. To be honest I'm surprised we made any improvements to our squad considering what Billic was given in the summer. Fact is we've upgraded 2 squad members. I remember the days when we'd have been ****ting ourselves over whether our better players would be off. We are most definitely a club on the incline and that's all we can ask
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

lewis100985 wrote:Emenike isn't proven in the Prem...
Payet, Lanzini, Sakho, Cresswell, Reid, Adrian, Obiang, Ogbonna not proven in the Prem when we got them. Have faith.
lewis100985

Post by lewis100985 »

I have faith, just trying to be realistic.

We have effectively swapped Zarate and Jelavic, who can play and scored goals in the league, for an unknown. With our other injury records, I'm just wary!
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

lewis100985 wrote:Emenike isn't proven in the Prem...
How many of our current squad were?..and how are they doing ?
Emenike can play either side as well as the through the middle, Bayram can player further forward as well, JOb is back fit, Sakho and Carroll, not far away, and Lanzini to follow. Jelavic won't be going anywhere if we don't have the strikers fit.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

sutts07 wrote:Hold on Pinky... back in August the aim was to still be a Premier League side as we move into the stadium,.
That may have been your aim, Sullivans aim and maybe even one or two other peoples aim, but it certainly wasn't my aim .

Aim high , get more .
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Monkeybubbles wrote:If you gave some of the people on here a fiver, they'd complain that it wasn't a tenner.
sums it up perfectly.

Although, no doubt it would be the evil overlords G&S who had somehow pocketed the money. And that's a FACT, because they dreamed it in their own head .

If we qualified for the CL people would blame G & S for the dodgy pretentious theme music. If we qualify for the Europa, then no doubt Brady would've had a hand in Uzbekistan being in an awkward place.

Panto season, with the resident baddies
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

lewis100985 wrote:I have faith, just trying to be realistic.

We have effectively swapped Zarate and Jelavic, who can play and scored goals in the league, for an unknown. With our other injury records, I'm just wary!
With respect, Emenike may be unknown to you but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a risk.

And at this point Jellyfish is still ours, so we've effectively swapped Zarate for Emenike. Given Zarate's erratic performance, I'd say we have less reason to be wary.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

just nice to finish a window scrabbling around trying to sign any old has been to try and save us , 2 good signings to an already decent squad , i think any spot between 4th and 7th is upfor grabs and if our luck goes with us , anything could happen . 3 points tonight against a Villa team shorn of any morale and its all win win
lewis100985

Post by lewis100985 »

By unknown, I mean in the Prem.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

North East Iron wrote:I'm with pinky on this one I belive we are 1 striker away from our best prem finish ever. Sak and Carroll are not the most reliable forwards we have had. We will never get a chance to finish above Chelsea and Liverpool poss man u than we have this year.
It's alright saying we have 30 million to spend in the summer window but going by future prices that is one quality player or 3 average squad players.

COYI

Well, then we are in luck. As we have just signed a striker.

Oh you mean: a world class striker, that we can guarantee will stay fit, will gel with the rest of the team, and can be relied upon to create his own chances for those matches when the rest of the team just aren't quite up for it.

The thing is they don't exist outside of Roy of the Rovers.

Say we signed a better known striker, Aguerro perhaps, and then he does his ACL against Villa, and we are no further fwd. And even he would need his team mates to have played better than they did away at Newcastle or Lpool - to name but two - to get a result.

Or we lose Payet and Lanzini breaks down again - hardly out of the question...

I think we have over preformed so far this season, given the squad, and unless we had strengthened by around 3 or 4 more players, there would have been no guarantees on top 4.