Transfer Window: January 2016

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Post by fjthegrey »

kalashnikov wrote:With only 20 goals in 9 games I'd be surprised if Slav thinks we have enough fire-power in the squad.
You're all over the place mate. We're the second top scorers in the league and have played 4 of the top 7 defences. And we've had basically one fit striker all season with 2 coming back to full fitness in the immediate future.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

fjthegrey wrote:
You're all over the place mate. We're the second top scorers in the league and have played 4 of the top 7 defences. And we've had basically one fit striker all season with 2 coming back to full fitness in the immediate future.
Detecting sarcasm mightn't be your strong suit :wink:

I've changed my mind though. A decent FB who can play both left and right back should be a priority. Who I've no idea.
Last edited by kalashnikov on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

kalashnikov wrote:I wasn't very clear sorry, to clarify I more meant that in the 8m range every player is a gamble and half will flop. No guarantees at that price range. Even Coutinho was a relative flop at Inter.
Coutinho was only 20 when he left Inter. Not many players are a huge hit at one of the biggest clubs in the world at that age. But I do get your point. :thup:
kalashnikov wrote: Back on who we are bringing in, it seems rather obvious. With only 20 goals in 9 games I'd be surprised if Slav thinks we have enough fire-power in the squad..

Ins:

Gökhan Töre (Besiktas) (£16m)
Breel Embolo (FC Basel) (£25m)
Bernard (Shakhtar) (£24m)
That's a lot of money spent. After spending £25mil in total in the summer, I can't see us spending that amount on just one player, especially 2/3. I can see Töre coming in, but even that price seems a bit high.

If it's Töre, Song, Lanzini and two others, I can't see the other two being attacking players. Maybe two full backs? I tweet to David Gold and Jack Sullivan every now and again telling them to sign Sam Byram (lol). So hopefully he's one of the two. We could do with a decent right back, meaning we'd only have to sign one in the summer. *crosses fingers*
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

So , what does a high flying , goal scoring West Ham United need ?

Well , depends on the money , I guess and how serious we are about success and our definition of success .
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

kalashnikov wrote:Detecting sarcasm mightn't be your strong suit.
There's enough idiots on here for that to have been a legitimate comment. You need to be more extreme next time.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

fjthegrey wrote:
There's enough idiots on here for that to have been a legitimate comment. You need to be more extreme next time.
Something along the lines of:

'with only 20 goals in 9 games our team could barely score in a brothel, and that Valencia hasn't score in the league yet he's a useless c**t'

would have been easier to detect.
Last edited by thejackhammer on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The Sisto kid is different gravy in his youtube video. That's good enough for me. :D
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

fjthegrey wrote: £100k a week in wages does though.
Which is why Carroll will be with us for at least the remainder of his contract. With his injury record I doubt we'd be able to give him away on his wage. Things are different now though, if Carroll fails to stay fit under the current circumstances then it's probably time for him to knock it on the head
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

bubbles1966 wrote:The Sisto kid is different gravy in his youtube video. That's good enough for me. :D
Me to. If he doesn't wanna play in England yet that's fine. But we'll pay him a considerably larger wage to be our guy when he's ready and loan him back to the Danes until.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Yea Why Not wrote: Things are different now though, if Carroll fails to stay fit under the current circumstances then it's probably time for him to knock it on the head
Why would he do that when someone else will pay him to try and get fit after his contract expires with us?
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

fjthegrey wrote:
Why would he do that when someone else will pay him to try and get fit after his contract expires with us?
If Carroll gets injured next week and fails to regain full fitness before the end of his contract who in their right mind would pay him a decent wage? I mean, has Carroll ever been fully fit since we signed him permanently?! Maybe for a few months but that's about it imo. As I said though, things are different now. This is his best chance and if it goes tits up his options will be seriously limited come the end of his contract
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Yea Why Not wrote:If Carroll gets injured next week and fails to regain full fitness before the end of his contract who in their right mind would pay him a decent wage?
That's 4 years away!

Let's have some perspective - he's had a couple of really bad injuries over the last two seasons and, due to a weak squad, his returns weren't managed in the most sensible manner. Now we've got several options for the forward positions there is the luxury of managing him back into the side over a couple of months and also making sure once he is back to playing 90 minutes his workload is well managed.

There's a few players that people were insisting should get a clean slate with the new management, he's one of them in my opinion.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

I still reckon he could get a contract earning more in 2 weeks than I do in a year even if his fitness over the remainder of his contract with us is similar to the last few years.

It'd definitely be worth his while to continue unless medical pros tell him his health is at serious risk.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

DDA, I agree entirely and that is exactly what I meant by 'things are different this time'

FJ, I hear you. But all I'm saying is if the remainder of his contract continues in the same fashion as the first couple of years then his options will be limited. Sure, he may get 30k a week at a bottom level premiership/ Championship club but then he may also choose to put a stop to the misery and live off the fortune we have handed him
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Yea Why Not wrote:DDA, I agree entirely and that is exactly what I meant by 'things are different this time'
Sorry. Skimmed the thread and thought you were one of the few that seem to think his injuries are 100% his fault and he is enjoying the situation in some way!
johnpantsil

Post by johnpantsil »

Regardless of the relative strength of this year's squad the process should always be; identify the weakest position in the squad - identify a suitable upgrade - recruit said upgrade (subject to available funds) and repeat. This should be the same across the board and should never stop.

That being said if all we manage is to convert some loans to perms this Jan then I'd be a happy hammer.
1860OnceMoore

Post by 1860OnceMoore »

sutts07 wrote:Ibrahimovic, six month loan with a view to buy in the summer... you heard it here first!
FFP?? How can they get over that road bump Sutts?

I really hope its true though
1860OnceMoore

Post by 1860OnceMoore »

40 years of hurt wrote:This black swiss bloke being mentioned.

Will i am Tell by any chance ? i'll get me coat
:D
2Dimensional

Post by 2Dimensional »

kalashnikov wrote: I've changed my mind though. A decent FB who can play both left and right back should be a priority. Who I've no idea.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we linked with either De Sciglio or Abate (AC Milan RBs) over the summer? Both promising pacey young FBs. Furthermore, Nicola Murru and Joao Cancelo are both very well thought of young attacking full backs in La Liga. Love to see either Jetro Willems of PSV or Bernat of Bayern (rotational player) sign for us as well.

Other signings..both Gaston Ramirez and Joel Campbell have contracts expiring in Jan, iirc. Thoughts on either of the two? I might also lean towards a young CB to understudy Reid/Ogbonna, given collins may be on his way soon (summer 2016): Tin Jedvaj of Bayer 04 was coached by Slav during his role as croatia manager and Jonathon Tah of Frankfurt (19 year old german CB) runs out come summer, so Frankfurt may try to offload him. Any other suggestions for CB?
djoe

Post by djoe »

2Dimensional: Tah was sold to Leverkussen this summer