Transfer Window: January 2016

The very best posts from KUMB over the years ...

Moderator: Gnome

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby Romford_Iron on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:13 am

Moaning that we're not doing enough to close the six point gap on Spurs... :lol:

It just goes to show that as a group, us fans will never be happy. We could win the Premiership, sign Ronaldo and some of us would be complaining that we haven't signed Messi.
User avatar
Romford_Iron
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:16 pm
Location: East Stand Upper

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:16 am

cue the debate on ronaldo and messi
User avatar
psychoscoredthelot
 
Posts: 7307
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:22 am

bubbles1966 wrote:I'm amazed they ain't 40 points clear of us if they are better in every position :D


We have done well to keep within six points of them, but i think they will be more like 10-12 points ahead at end of the season

Just out of interest, which of our players do you think would get in their first eleven, and which of our squad/ fringe players are better than their squad/fringe players?
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 9657
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby woodford on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:28 am

crouchy, Spurs , annoyingly are the best team ive seen us play this season so far

That said, after 23 games, had we not imploded at WHL, they could be down 3 points and we wouldve been up 3 points, making us equal

Hardly a glowing endorsement of their overall superiority mate

You may well be right about the gap come the end of the season, but i'll be measuring West Ham 2016 against West Ham 2015, not against Spurs

** more to the point, if we finish above Chelsea are we then better than them ?
User avatar
woodford
 
Posts: 4686
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:35 am
Location: proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby bubbles1966 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:32 am

This time (ish) last year the question would have been "what's the plan to stay in the Prem?".


This time last year we were top 8, same points as today. We were also in the 5th round of the cup.

Spurs are only two points better than last year and have less points than they used to have under Redknapp/AVB which exposes he hype.
User avatar
bubbles1966
 
Posts: 45292
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:01 pm
Location: Net spend since 1/1/18 = £45m

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby Harry Hound on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:33 am

Our strongest team is easily as strong enough to go up against Spurs, they're are on a role and are the very nice club every ref likes and most decisions are going for them Other than Alli who could end up being another Bale I'm not overly impressed with them compared to our squad and am pretty sure we'll beat them at ours and show them that the result at WHL was down to a bad day at the office.
User avatar
Harry Hound
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:25 pm
Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby ironilunga on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:33 am

woodford wrote:You may well be right about the gap come the end of the season, but i'll be measuring West Ham 2016 against West Ham 2015, not against Spurs


Top post mate.
User avatar
ironilunga
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:33 am

woodford wrote:crouchy, Spurs , annoyingly are the best team ive seen us play this season so far

That said, after 23 games, had we not imploded at WHL, they could be down 3 points and we wouldve been up 3 points, making us equal

Hardly a glowing endorsement of their overall superiority mate

You may well be right about the gap come the end of the season, but i'll be measuring West Ham 2016 against West Ham 2015, not against Spurs

** more to the point, if we finish above Chelsea are we then better than them ?


I agree about only measuring our progress. I was just responding to posters who seem to think that spending a bit of cash would somehow mean we could catch Spurs. IMHO we are still a fair way behind them player for player and dropping some cash in this window would only slightly increase our, already small, chances of top four

I think we will come 8th, and of the teams fighting for that position, only stoke and everton have spent any money and they are expensive gambles
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 9657
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby sutts07 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:34 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
You could make a case for Cresswell


Over Danny Rose?? More than just a case I would say...! However, I do agree that they are stronger than us overall.

Would be interesting to see their squad cope with the kind of injury crisis we had though. Seven of our top ten players were all out at one stage. If they lost Vertongan (they have now) and Kane at the same time it would cripple them. If they lost them both at the same time as Alli, Eriksen, Dembele and a coupe of others... They would be bang average.

I think we can take a lot of pride in the fact that we are pushing them so hard already,they have had over a decade of sitting at the level we are currently at and pushing the top four. We have got there in just a few seasons after coming up.
User avatar
sutts07
 
Posts: 7798
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Block 112, a far cry from CR1

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby fjthegrey on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:34 am

Steve Gibson is just about the best chairman in football I would say.
User avatar
fjthegrey
 
Posts: 18257
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Once More Unto The Cheese

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby woodford on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:39 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
I agree about only measuring our progress. I was just responding to posters who seem to think that spending a bit of cash would somehow mean we could catch Spurs. IMHO we are still a fair way behind them player for player and dropping some cash in this window would only slightly increase our, already small, chances of top four

I think we will come 8th, and of the teams fighting for that position, only stoke and everton have spent any money and they are expensive gambles


I agree with all of that other than being a fair way behind them, i think we may be in the best overall shape since the Premier league started, that gap has closed

100% right that we shouldnt think that spending money will mean we catch them ( for whatever that is worth )

Rather go into the summer knowing we have money to spend on real and lasting improvement
User avatar
woodford
 
Posts: 4686
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:35 am
Location: proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:42 am

sutts07 wrote:
Over Danny Rose?? More than just a case I would say...! However, I do agree that they are stronger than us overall.

.


Nothing in it IMHO. In the system they play full backs don't really have to defend so Rose is probably better. The point is they have two LBs of a very decent standard. Same as they have two RBs of a decent standard.
They have a strong first eleven, and outside of CF and maybe CB they have quality back-up
Even in Kane was injured they have enough attacking players to come up with something that would be reasonably successful

It just seems strange to try and compare ourselves with Spurs. They have been above us for yonks. We have been up and down like a whore's drawers. We should be looking to establish ourselves as the 'best of the rest' before we think about seriously competing with the top 4-5

In my mind we are progressing nicely
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 9657
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby bubbles1966 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:45 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:We have done well to keep within six points of them, but i think they will be more like 10-12 points ahead at end of the season

Just out of interest, which of our players do you think would get in their first eleven, and which of our squad/ fringe players are better than their squad/fringe players?


It's perhaps easier to say which of their walks into our team.

Kane, Dembele, Walker (now Jenks has imploded).

The rest are similar to ours or worse.

Lanzini and Payet are comfortably on a par with any of their attacking players,

Song, Kouyate are easily as good as Dier, Mason etc.

Centre halves are much of a muchness - watch Ravel Morrison ruin Vertonghen.

Lloris isn't the keeper he once was, at least not when I see him.

Spurs are a functional, athletic team that tries to win games at high intensity in the first hour (much like Southampton and Liverpool in recent times). Hang in and they leak late in games.

When we lost to them they targeted two mismatches on the pitch and exploited them excellently and deserved their win - but even so, had the run of the ball all day long - deflected shots going in etc.
User avatar
bubbles1966
 
Posts: 45292
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:01 pm
Location: Net spend since 1/1/18 = £45m

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:46 am

For Sale -

The letters S , T , U , R , R , I , D , G , E


£ 20 or will swap for E , M , E , N , I , K , E
User avatar
The Old Man of Storr
 
Posts: 15533
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:17 pm
Location: Lost In the Recesses Of My Mind .

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby the pink palermo on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:47 am

Bubbles, I agree, which is why I believe we should have gone all out to catch and overtake them .

Perhaps Slaven feels he has enough to do just that .

Time will tell .
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 38569
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Malcontented

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby Beavis Danzig on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:47 am

if we had spurs' luck with injuries i don't think it's hard to imagine a couple of those draws we had before christmas being converted to wins.

the pink palermo wrote:Bubbles, I agree, which is why I believe we should have gone all out to catch and overtake them .

Perhaps Slaven feels he has enough to do just that .

Time will tell .


what would all out include, over the odds bids for players other clubs are willing to get rid of in january?

january is great for stacking your squad with filler, but that's the opposite of what we've been trying to do lately.
User avatar
Beavis Danzig
 
Posts: 4288
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby the pink palermo on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:50 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:PP - i am not sure i get your logic

Why the fascination with Spurs?


To be clear Crouchy I'm not bothered it's Spurs per se , it's the fact they sit in 4th and are 6 points ahead .

Had it been Liverpool I would have been saying the same .
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 38569
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Malcontented

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:53 am

the pink palermo wrote:Bubbles, I agree, which is why I believe we should have gone all out to catch and overtake them .

Perhaps Slaven feels he has enough to do just that .

Time will tell .


Fair enough, we will have to agree or disagree on that. I think you are both overrating our squad and underrating theirs, but life would be a boring world if we all thought the same

Bubbles, do you not think Alli would get into our team?? He may be a bit over-hyped, but he is class
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 9657
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:56 am

PP - you still haven't come up with a player, or players, we should have tried to buy. Remy was not available
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 9657
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Postby SpongeBob's Pants on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:58 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Fair enough, we will have to agree or disagree on that. I think you are both overrating our squad and underrating theirs, but life would be a boring world if we all thought the same

Bubbles, do you not think Alli would get into our team?? He may be a bit over-hyped, but he is class


Tending to agree with Crouchy here.

I think their squad is better and deeper than ours.
User avatar
SpongeBob's Pants
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:52 am
Location: 2nd galaxy along from the Milky Way...

PreviousNext

Return to KUMB Hall of Fame

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests