Transfer Window: January 2016

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

the bubble hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: January 2016 Transfer Rumours

Post by the bubble hammer »

Blott on the landscape wrote:Charlie Austin not in Southampton's squad for tonight.
Resting him to ensure he bangs in a couple against us, just so he can point to Sulli
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I can't say I'm not pleased with that window, purely because we lost nobody decent and we gained the kind of player I've always wanted us to be in the market for in Sam Byram :scarfer:
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

bubbles1966 wrote:Carroll needs to effectively become the Jelavic option. The guy from the bench, who starts intermittently. We must forget his wages and fee. It's done.

The interesting thing now is that the squad is almost entirely peak age, even the back up guys, while the reserves have resale/marketable value.

That change in the last couple of seasons has been discernible and should enable us to move into quality rather than quantity signings from the summer.

We must retain our better players.

If they had laid an improvement plan five years ago when Allardyce was appointed, I reckon we would be bang in line with it (as of today) in terms of squad, league position, stadium upgrade,
Have to agree about Carroll.
Obviously he can't be relied upon to stay fit and will have to be used sparingly, if nothing else but just to get him through the season.

Regarding quality / quantity, maybe that's Billic's thinking, have a smaller better quality squad, with the funds available, as per Mourinho, I hate to say!

If this is the case then keeping your players fit is even more the important, something we've not been very good at in recent times.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Have Arsenal signed anyone yet?
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

They've needed a new centre back for about 10 years now!
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

I really do not understand how Arsenal did not get out and spend on a few players.....did must have money in overload in their bank account??
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Has anyone posted a list of free agents yet?
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Turns to Stone wrote: We also have Sakho who last season got 10 Prem goals in 23 games last season (Giroud only got 14 in 33). So actually the problem is not signing someone better than them, it's about signing someone who will stay fit.
I agree that it's more important to have a fit striker - it doesn't matter how good one is if they're not on the pitch.

But regarding Sakho's stats: didn't he start last season with 6 from 6?
That means he finished with 4 from 17?
One of the problems with Sakho is that he is still a bit unknown ability-wise. He hasn't had a spell of being fit long enough to establish if he is really the player that had teh wonderful prolific start, or the rather ordinary rest of the season.
My personal opinion is that he is a hardworker that lacks some of the technical ability of top strikers. How many of his goals were headers? Probably half of them?

EDIT
This season is 3 goals in 12 apps - same 1-in-4 scoring rate as the second two-thirds of last season.
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Sir_Trevor wrote:Has anyone posted a list of free agents yet?
I'll start it
1. Ricardo Vaz Te...........
Markeetee
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Markeetee »

Jackson Martinez going to Guangzhou Evergrande for more than £30m...!

Wonder if this has any effect on Jelavic's possible move, where was he meant to be going?
Discobar

Post by Discobar »

West Ham chief David Sullivan has revealed he would have bought Charlie Austin if he had known he was available for just £4million.

Then-QPR striker Austin agreed a shock switch to Southampton last month for that bargain fee, then headed their winner against Manchester United at Old Trafford on his debut.

He is now set to face Sullivan's Hammers on Saturday.

Co-chairman Sullivan was criticised by the 26-year-old marksman last August for revealing the player had failed a medical when set to join Hull and would be a “big risk” at £12m.

Sullivan has now moved to clarify his comments, writing in the match programme ahead of Tuesday night’s game against Aston Villa.

He said: “Our next league game is away at Southampton and I just want to clarify my views on the Charlie Austin situation.

“Contrary to reports, he is a player I have always greatly admired and his climb through the divisions is inspiring.

“I once said at £12million he was a gamble, with his injury record. However, if his financial demands are reasonable, Southampton have got fantastic value at £4m.

“Had I known he was available at that price, I would have taken the gamble myself — and I am sure half the Premier League clubs would have as well.”
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Markeetee wrote:Jackson Martinez going to Guangzhou Evergrande for more than £30m...!

Wonder if this has any effect on Jelavic's possible move, where was he meant to be going?
What an absolute waste of a player going there at that age.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Is this Inter striker, Mauro Icardi, the kind of player that might suit us? If so, perhaps Ogbonna could have a word.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/01/rumour-in ... i-5655756/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However according to the Guardian, Liverpool had a 22m bid turned down for him and Arsenal are now interested too (and Hernandez).

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ez-arsenal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

G&S are making themselves look like idiots again over Austin
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Sir_Trevor wrote:Has anyone posted a list of free agents yet?

Sofiane Feghouli is the best of them .
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Prob wrote:G&S are making themselves look like idiots again over Austin
I think it must have been a Sully attempt to appease the fans that really wanted him to sign for us.
Didn't Gold already make a remark that 4million isn't so cheap when you included his "100k / week" wages and signing fee?
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Maybe this is something that should be saved for the summer thread. If during the summer window we want to move the squad onward, some are going to have to be released, but who. if we are looking to bring in three or four to allow to move on who do we have to get shot of.

Do we get rid rid of the youngsters Burke, Oxford, Cullen and Samuelson with the inherent need for English or home grown players ion the 25 man squad. Or do we look to upgrade on Sakho. Valencia, Tomkins, Noble these are just names I picked out of the air, but if we are going to recruit better players who is going to go?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Prob wrote:G&S are making themselves look like idiots again over Austin
Crossd_Hammrs wrote: I think it must have been a Sully attempt to appease the fans that really wanted him to sign for us.
Didn't Gold already make a remark that 4million isn't so cheap when you included his "100k / week" wages and signing fee?
To be fair, it's only Sullivan who keeps talking about Austin.

All David Gold did was respond to someone who said "why the f*** didn't we sign him", and the response was "he's not that cheap IF he's on £100k a week".
Jinxed

Post by Jinxed »

Are the club saying that there still paying Jenkinson?