The 2016 summer transfer thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Re: A £20 million striker: The summer transfer thread

Post by madhammer »

fjthegrey wrote:

Domenico Berardi

If Zaza isn't available, Berardi probably will be, although we definitely won't be alone in courting him. The best young player I've seen this season. Quick, works like a dog and genuine class on the ball. Can play all across the frontline and would very much fit into the way Bilic's teams like to attack. Gets as many assists as he does goals. Currently playing for Sassuolo but Juve have an option on him. If they don't take it up there will be a scramble for him that I would like us to be involved in.
I almost included him in my list, but am told by my Italian mate it's a case of when not if Juve take their ownership option up on him.

Love Banega has a player, proper passer of the football, but fear his workrate and application coupled with a lack of pace might be an issue in the PL, If you could coach Kouyate to be a bit more disciplined and play in a DM role he might be able to do Banega's running for him. But then you loose some of his energy and drive going forward. Playing deeper you might also expose his lack of passing range.

Quite like the look of Lars Stindl at Broussia Monchengladbach he's an attack minded midfielder, seems to have an eye for a goal and regularly gets himself beyond the striker. Something i think we miss at times, as while i love Payet and Lanzini they're goals have tended to come from backing up play and i think they prefer to create and assist rather than be on the end of chances.

I think in Obiang, Noble and Kouyate we have 3 midfielders who can play the holding role, it's about finding someone who can compliment them in a more offensive way and link play with Payet and Lanzini ahead of them
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

fjthegrey wrote: If that is the line, then I'm hoping we sign Ronaldo and he can have another 96/97 season.
...on the right wages?

:arry:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

After 20 seasons of scouting him I would imagine that next Summer will be the time to sign the ever elusive Islam Slimani .
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

fjthegrey wrote: If that is the line, then I'm hoping we sign Ronaldo and he can have another 96/97 season.
Gabriel Batistuta also, please.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Hayden wrote:I feel 20 goal and 20 million has been mixed up hasn't it?
I edited the first post. It was based on Brady's sun article
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Re: A £20 million plus striker: The summer transfer thread

Post by YorksHammer »

Realistically, our squad is pretty packed at the moment, and building on top of that is going to leave some players out who really should be in our plans. I mean, other than Moses our squad is going to retain every starter and back up from this season. So I can't see us bringing in a Batshuayi without, for example, a Carroll leaving. Imagine have Sakho, Carroll, Batshuayi and Valencia all competing for one striker berth - there's no way that works and everyone's happy.

Equally, it would be harsh on our young players if we just went and bought someone who immediately supercedes them. If you buy a Tore it would be a shame to halt the development of Antonio by bringing him in and shoving Antonio on the bench. Same with someone like Byram - we need a support right back for him, rather than someone who takes his place. Whilst we are going to be flush with cash, we need to spend wisely.

Taking the above into account, I think there are only one or two areas in the first team where we could really stand to improve - one is up front, where we need someone who can be relied on to play at least 30 games of a 38 game season and to regularly score goals (doesn't have to be 20, but I would like to see a return of 12-15 from them). The other is in finding someone who can play in the central midfield with a bit more pace and vision - in my opinion we have too many 'breakers' that will stop play and not enough panache in that area. That means we should listen to offers for at least one of our strikers and at least one of our CMs to make squad space for the two new first teamers. Or we could end Song's loan, I guess.

I'd like Batshuayi here - we need to fulfill our cool Belgian quota. Every club should have one. Plus, he looks like he might actually be quite good. Alternatively - can we sign Lukaku just to stop him f*cking scoring against us?

Actually, that in mind, we should one hundred percent be involved in any chase for Youri Tielemans to liven up our midfield a bit and give us some more dynamism there. I don't think it's a key area for us to strengthen as we have a lot of depth in the area, but he's going to be a ridiculously good player and could link between a Noble/Kouyate/Obiang type and the Payet/Lanzini types with ease. I think there will be a huge chase for him this summer, though, so we might struggle to secure him. A few alternatives out there, though - Rabiot was rumoured last summer, wasn't he?

Once those two positions are sorted out, we should look at a reserve right back to play behind Byram - unless we're going to choose to rely on Knoyle and Pike there or keep O'Brien, which I would think wouldn't be the plan - and that would likely be our business done. Not sure who would be best suited to fill that gap, but I'm sure there are options out there.

We're not far away from having a stellar squad right now, and I don't think a huge summer overhaul is called for. A couple of key additions and we'll be well placed to keep pushing on from what will, hopefully, be a good 2015/16 season.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:After 20 seasons of scouting him I would imagine that next Summer will be the time to sign the ever elusive Islam Slimani .
How poor is he?
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

My ideal window:

1) Make Lanzini Permanent.

2) Shift on Joey and bring in Micah Richards, strong, powerful and a grafter, imagine him and Antonio running at you down the right wing!

3) Batshuayi and Tore or Bony and Tore would be my big 2 signings.

4) If Song doesn't stay, bring in Yann M'Vila.

Job done!
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

YorksHammer wrote:
Equally, it would be harsh on our young players if we just went and bought someone who immediately supercedes them. If you buy a Tore it would be a shame to halt the development of Antonio by bringing him in and shoving Antonio on the bench. Same with someone like Byram - we need a support right back for him, rather than someone who takes his place. Whilst we are going to be flush with cash, we need to spend wisely.
Without wanting to be a bit reductionist on your whole post, which I do agree with most of, Tore is actually 22 months younger than Antonio.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Haven't we already done the deal?

Wilfred Bony. Pardon?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I'd love to see us get bony and sturridge. No way could we afford both but if sturridge could keep fit he would fire us into the big time
Braathan

Post by Braathan »

I'd say we need a winger, a striker, a versatile full back and if we've got anything left then a top quality cm

With that in mind id say tore, batshuayi, Santon and kondogbia at inter.

Possibly a bit ambitious.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

I'd rather sign top quality and hinder the progress of players like Antonio than not sign top quality and hinder the progress of the club.

Anyway... Lacazette... please
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

miles wrote:Benteke will be available in the summer...
He's obviously lacking confidence in front of goal right now but actually had a very good game last night, finishing aside. His touch/control and support play was on point.

I'd take him in a heart beat. Slav would get him firing on all cylinders again.
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

Can't believe some people want to see us sign Sturridge. He's crocked and obviously something is up with him too. What was all that about changing his boots when he came on? It was bizarre, the act of man with some serious issues.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

It'll be interesting to see how many of the names mentioned on here go to China.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

This will all change by the time we get there but here goes with current view....

One of Bony, Lacazette, Batshuayi or Benteke would all be massive improvements as number one striker purchase. £25m
If Sakho breaks down between now and end of season again we may need two strikers. Would still love Remy personally. £10m.

Tore to replace Moses. £8m
Lanzini to be perm. Less convinced about Song - needs some consistency first but if he is on a free. £7m

Do wonder if Bilic will look at any other Turkish based players given his knowledge of the league and because he's been publically very praising of the Turkish national side. Ozyakup is the pick of young talent but was rumoured to be frustrated under Bilic - very Lanzini-esque. £10m

Micah Richards at right back. £5m

£65m - so easy to spend other people's money :lol:

Then just need to replace players that we lose - wouldn't be surprised to see some serious bids for some of them.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Why does anyone want Micah Richards? What's wrong with you? We actually want to win games.

I'd imagine we'll shift O'Brien and Moses. Bring in Tore and Batshuayi. Sign Lanzini and sign Song on another loan until his contract expires with Barcelona.

We'll need another right back to cover Byram. Probably a more senior player (not Richards).

I don't think we need wholesale changes.
hatori

Post by hatori »

I love Sakho but his injury record aint much better than Andy's
reo_coker20
One line wonder
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by reo_coker20 »

DDHammer wrote:My ideal window:

1) Make Lanzini Permanent.

2) Shift on Joey and bring in Micah Richards, strong, powerful and a grafter, imagine him and Antonio running at you down the right wing!

3) Batshuayi and Tore or Bony and Tore would be my big 2 signings.

4) If Song doesn't stay, bring in Yann M'Vila.

Job done!
Sounds good to me