The 2016 summer transfer thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1454 likes

Re: The 2016 summer transfer thread

Post by Turns to Stone »

I'm not sure whether it's happened by design or by accident, but Bilic playing Antonio at right-back has actually got him to a position where he has 4 genuine full-backs. Two left-footed, two right-footed and all genuine Premier League quality.

That is something that very few other West Ham managers have manged to achieve (and particularly from G and S who seem to have a predilection for attacking players.

Just having two players in each position is something that has been alien to us for many years, and if we take out any previous mentions of the likes of Lacazette or Ibrahimovic at the start of the summer, I can't help but think that if we can keep the majority fit, it's the best squad we've ever had.

I also agree with Pinky and think that Bilic has been playing Antonio at right-back to force the hand of the board to fund a right back....he's too smart to have just kept playing him there imo.
Last edited by Turns to Stone on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maroonmachine

Post by Maroonmachine »

Maybe Pinky is right, maybe that was Slavens plan all along. Although you'd think all he had to do was ask.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Maroonmachine wrote:Maybe Pinky is right, maybe that was Slavens plan all along. Although you'd think all he had to do was ask.
I'd imagine the response he would have got was 'What? We only just bought Sam Byram last January....here, have another South American forward'
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Turns to Stone wrote:

I also agree with Pinky and think that Bilic has been playing Antonio at right-back to force the hand of the board to fund a right back....he's too smart to have just kept playing him there imo.
So,you and others think that Bilic's cunning plan to get another FB out of the owners was to deliberately fail to automatically qualify for Europa League and,probably CL ?
So what about the £2.5m the owners gave him for the hapless Tore? Unfortunately the FB issue is 100% down to Bilic,imo.The really frightening thing is that, had Antonio muddled through a little bit better and Cresswell not got injured till today, we would have been looking at half a season with Byram as our only FB!!
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

ashbanki wrote:
So,you and others think that Bilic's cunning plan to get another FB out of the owners was to deliberately fail to automatically qualify for Europa League and,probably CL ?
So what about the £2.5m the owners gave him for the hapless Tore? Unfortunately the FB issue is 100% down to Bilic,imo.The really frightening thing is that, had Antonio muddled through a little bit better and Cresswell not got injured till today, we would have been looking at half a season with Byram as our only FB!!
No, I think that G and S wanted Bilic to get on with what he had and move Reece Burke around and slot other players in.

No manager has ever been able to convince G and S to part with much money for defenders in their time at West Ham and Bilic is no different. I doubt that any manager wants to go into a season with just 6 recognised defenders though.

We'll never know though. It's all just conjecture.
DaveMK

Post by DaveMK »

They did spend £10m on Ogbonna last summer...
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 194 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Any update on Mersongate?
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

ironstu wrote:I've never seen Sam Westley play. He's obviously not that rated after our last minute scavenge for a full-back. How bad really is he? And if he is that bad, how the hell is that allowed to happen at a professional football club?!
He IS that bad.

And he won't be cutting oranges at half time 'cos he'd f*** that up too.
Aceface
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 1444 likes

Post by Aceface »

I don't believe for a second it's anyone other than Bilic who saw Antonio as a defender.

He dropped a massive bollock and should take the flak for it rather than an easier scapegoat like Sullivan.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Aceface wrote:I don't believe for a second it's anyone other than Bilic who saw Antonio as a defender.

He dropped a massive bollock and should take the flak for it rather than an easier scapegoat like Sullivan.

It's laughable just how much the Chairmen get blamed for. It seems that if the face fits, you can get away with a lot. This fell only at Bilics door and he deserves the criticism. And I'm sure he accepts it after recently admitting it weren't working out.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Aceface wrote:I don't believe for a second it's anyone other than Bilic who saw Antonio as a defender.

Bilic might have been right -- maybe Antonio would make a good RB if he himself was 100% into the idea and there was time for retraining. Neither of those things were the case.
Iron-on-transfer
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 260 likes

Post by Iron-on-transfer »

bitter-iron-ny wrote:Any update on Mersongate?

He's still contemplating his next move.
norse
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Just read page 1492. 'kin hell :lol:
Aceface
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 1444 likes

Post by Aceface »

the celestial insect wrote: Bilic might have been right -- maybe Antonio would make a good RB if he himself was 100% into the idea and there was time for retraining. Neither of those things were the case.
Those things could have been ascertained at the end of last season. Given it arguably ruined our only chance at playing in the Champions league for the foreseeable.

To carry it on into another season was flat out, 100%, no take-backsies wrong.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Aceface wrote:
Those things could have been ascertained at the end of last season. Given it arguably ruined our only chance at playing in the Champions league for the foreseeable.

To carry it on into another season was flat out, 100%, no take-backsies wrong.
Makes you wonder what the discussions were when Antonio signed his new contract. Anyway, thankfully it's resolved now :thup:
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Don't think Bilic played Antonio there to get a right back. He thought Antonio with his engine and not scared of a tackle would adapt, but he didn't. Lets face it we all thought he would do a job when put back there in an emergency last season, but as time went on it was clear he wasn't.

Biggest problem is what we lost further forward. If Antonio had another Antonio playing in front him he would have looked a lot better at right back.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1483 likes
Total likes: 3067 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I can imagine that Slav may lament the fact Antonio's run there was also at a time when the team was weaker ahead of him.
smuts
Has liked: 1493 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by smuts »

Does anyone have any Merson quotes on Matt Tubbs?
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

smuts wrote:Does anyone have any Merson quotes on Matt Tubbs?
Or Marcus Rashford?
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1305 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

1500 pages!