The 2016 summer transfer thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Re: The 2016 summer transfer thread

Post by bobd_uk »

claret parrot wrote:One thing that greatly surprised me yet doesn't seem to have been mentioned as far as I can see, is the departure of promising youngsters like Leo Chambers, Nathan Mavila, Jordan Brown and most surprising of all, Oscar Borg, who I thought was regarded as the next wonderkid following Oxford.

Sadly Diego Poyet has gone too.
I don't think that they are "promising" any more. Chambers still doesn't have a club - he was very injury prone at Colchester last season too. As far as I can see Mavila is also without a club. Brown couldn't get a club to loan him last season, although has made a half decent move to Germany, while Borg, by all accounts, just didn't hit his potential.

Poyet left Charlton too early. He couldn't get back into their side last season, although I do think there is a decent player in there somewhere.

It has been a very long time since we released a youth player who then went on to be anywhere near good enough to play for us. (I emphasise the word released - not including the likes of Terry who left of his own accord, or Rio who we sold for decent money).
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 194 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Chelsea have made contact with free agent Martin Caceres to assess hit fitness as Antonio Conte weighs-up a move for the experienced Uruguayan international defender, according to the Express.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

I didn't know where else to put this but I'm going to moot a theory for next summer..

I find it very odd that Adrian hasn't signed a new contract - it has been very quiet on that front. Maybe we haven't offered him one but I doubt that considering virtually every other first teamer has been. Remember we extended his two year option in October of 2015. That means he is out of contract June 2017.

My theory is that Adrian would prefer to return to Spain within a couple of seasons - hence not signing a new contract. Wouldn't blame him, has a young family, had only the one season in La Liga for Betis - could definitely see a desire to establish himself in his countries national league.

Hence we'll end up selling him back to La Liga in the summer and will sign Joe Hart as his replacement.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and he'll sign a new contract in the next few months..
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

kalashnikov wrote: Or maybe I'm completely wrong and he'll sign a new contract in the next few months..

I think you got there in the end, but I understood your thought process and is feasible even if I don't think it's what will happen. I just don't imagine him being in a rush to return to La Liga where he hardly got a look in bar his boyhood Club Betis who he has massive affection for. The only way I could see him returning is if one of the big 2 come in for him. If he has an absolute blinder this season, you just never know, what with Pep stripping Barca of Bravo. I'd still expect a contract to be in the table soon and for him to sign it in any case. He won't be leaving on a Free.

He's a little bit similar to Payet in the respect of how important he is to our team, brilliant mainly at what he does and that he got into his National side by playing for us.

De Gea
Lloris
Adrian (The only reason I've not said Bravo instead is because we don't yet know what he'll be like in the Prem, yet with the others we do)

That's my top 3 Prem Keepers and in that order.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1844 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2015 ... w-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's essentially got 3 years left on his current deal (once the club take up their option to extend the current one).

As long as his form doesn't completely collapse in the next 6 months, I'd expect him to sign a new deal some time in 2017.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2015 ... w-contract" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's essentially got 3 years left on his current deal (once the club take up their option to extend the current one).

As long as his form doesn't completely collapse in the next 6 months, I'd expect him to sign a new deal some time in 2017.
Thanks. I missed that entirely. I blame UtJ went off the contract lengths on the squad page :D
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Has Paul Merson handed himself in yet?!
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 3415 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

kalashnikov wrote:Thanks. I missed that entirely. I blame UtJ went off the contract lengths on the squad page
How does that work then? The info provided is correct!
djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

Crystal Palace new boy Loic Remy out for up to two months after the forward picked up a thigh injury in training. #cpfc #cfc

Pete O'Rourke
@SportsPeteO
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by woodywoody »

Seeing all the headlines for Payet and the Watford game tells me we need a back up as you surely can't rely on 1 creative player to pull all the strings or for that bit of magic now and then.

Are we good enough without him?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2059 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^ Fernandes and maybe Feghouli?

Lanzini could fill the creative midfield role too.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

djclipz wrote:Crystal Palace new boy Loic Remy out for up to two months after the forward picked up a thigh injury in training. #cpfc #cfc

Pete O'Rourke
@SportsPeteO

A perennial sicknote Striker which some people raved about Palaces business and that we should have been all over that deal for Remy instead, doesn't look like such a good call now does it? Glad we rightly steered clear of that one.
Colours never run

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:^^^ Fernandes and maybe Feghouli?

Lanzini could fill the creative midfield role too.

I definitely have Lanzini, Feghouli, Antonio down as decent creative sparks without Payet about. And who knows how Fernandes will get on if he manages to settle as well as Lanzini did. With the significant extra fire power of Ayew, Zaza, Calleri and Fletcher as well, it won't be difficult to create and score without some of our more creative players. Antonios already on a couple of goals without them.

And we even have an outside chance of Tore coming good when it comes to creating.

So in answer to the original question, yes we are now good enough without him now most of them are back and the windows closed.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 734 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

antonio is a tricky one. not really a creative element, more of a chaotic dice roll that lands his fair share of sixes.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Just out of curiosity, I took a look at the chances created per 90 mins stat for our midfield for the 3 games so far:

Tore: 2.86
Antonio: 0.78
Kouyate: 0.67
Noble: 1.33

I have a lot of faith that Tore will become a very useful player for us. He's looked a little unfit and off his game so far, but it's early days and his end product still looks handy.
Colours never run

I've often seen him float in quality deliveries, not always but he definite has the ability too like in the clip provided proves..

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

That's a creative example even Payet would be pleased with.

He's also relying on having the quality targets to match his delivery too and we now have Carroll backup in Zaza and others.

Now he's a permanent fixture on the wing and recently received his England call-up I'd expect him to up his game even more in that respect and keep improving and not just rely on his outstanding goalscoring form (which is creative in itself when he manufactures many of his own chances).
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Colours never run wrote:I've often seen him float in quality deliveries, not always but he definite has the ability too like in the clip provided proves..

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

That's a creative example even Payet would be pleased with.
It is, I agree. But it's a rare example, and that's the problem for me. Great at causing havoc and getting goals. Needs more work with crossing and bringing others into play though.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

woodywoody wrote:Seeing all the headlines for Payet and the Watford game tells me we need a back up as you surely can't rely on 1 creative player to pull all the strings or for that bit of magic now and then.

Are we good enough without him?
Hard to say. The issue is that we've never had our first team just without him. When he got injured last season it was the same time that Lanzini, Moses, Carroll, etc. were all out. Then, this season, he's been out at the same time as Lanzini and Feghouli and at a time when Antonio spent a few matches in defence, leaving us having to play people like Valencia on the wing.
Colours never run

Burnley Hammer wrote:
It is, I agree. But it's a rare example, and that's the problem for me. Great at causing havoc and getting goals. Needs more work with crossing and bringing others into play though.

It's only rare because he's rarely played for us as a winger. In fact he's only been playing regularly full stop for us for about 4/5 months. Now he's established himself, settled with a full season ahead, I'd expect to see him create many more chances, with some that actually lead to goals. That cross weren't a one-off either and I specifically picked it out because I remember often seeing him beating his full back and floating in a ball that was begging to be headed in. Sadly we've had to rely on Emenike when Carroll wasn't always available. Our options are considerable now, even off the bench which will also make a difference.

I've also taken the liberty to check how well Antonio contributed to assisted goals last season for us and it appears there's absolutely nothing wrong with his creativity, even when he was played as a right back for long spells...

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... s&start=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I forgot to add Noble's name to the list of regular creative sparks in the side.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2059 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Dimi won't be going to Real for at least two transfer windows.
Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have lost appeals against Fifa bans on signing players in the next two transfer windows.

The clubs contested a decision by world football's governing body to punish them for breaching rules over the transfer of foreign players under 18.

Fifa initially ruled on the case in January, but the appeals meant both clubs could sign players this summer.

Real say they will now appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

more..