The 2016 summer transfer thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

DDHammer

Re: A £20 million plus striker: The summer transfer thread

Post by DDHammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Why does anyone want Micah Richards? What's wrong with you? We actually want to win games.
What's wrong with him? I always rated him when he was at City, he'd be a fan favourite here for the graft he puts in, 27, versatile full back who can play CB and in a good team would be dangerous going forward.

He bossed Payet around when we played them, was a proper warrior that day.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Richards biggest problem in recent years has been made to play at CB, when he really isn't best suited for that. He has always excelled for me as a marauding, tough tackling right back. I'd be all over a deal for him to compete with Byram for next season once Villa are relegated, although fully aware he/or we may look elsewhere.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

hatori wrote:I love Sakho but his injury record aint much better than Andy's
if anything its worse!

if only money was no object the one player id like to see us go for is lakuku .. would take £40 million probably now though.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

We should be looking at Berahino as an option imo. 20 goals in 45 from all competitions last year and one year left on his contract this summer. Must be only 22/23 and fits the profile of players the board has been looking to sign. There's a lot of talent there and Billic would get that from him
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Goalkeepers - No problem.

Defence - (Minor surgery) - I would personally hang on to JOB who provides such reliable cover. The biggest clubs have great pro's like him among their number. Perhaps another top quality loan to assist in ushering through Byram.

Midfield - (Minor surgery) - Great strength in depth, something which we have needed this season and will need next, particularly if we qualify for europe. Song and Moses are slowly being usurped by Antonio and Obiang. However, the depth is so important for us and I would certainly keep Song and would not mind at all another season of Moses. The permanent signing of Lanzini would be the crucial business in this area.

Strikers - (Surgery) - I am a fan of Valencia and think there is much more to come from him. I look forward to the day he has a run in the side with Sakho. Sakho has to stay. Done nothing wrong and great as one of 4 main strikers. The 3rd striker would be a new signing and a big signing. Have not got a clue who it will be but with such little business required in other areas of the side I think time can be taken. If we can get a top quality striker in then I would be happy with a striker such as Jelavic as our 4th option.

It leaves Carroll as the striker I would try and move on. He can be so devastating when on form and I can see the benefit off the bench. However, I think he is a luxury we can no longer afford. Selling will be easier said than done.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'd have to disagree with you there ironilunga. I think the areas that need most improvement are:

Finishing
Ball retention in the final third
Creativity

Looks like we're going to spend big to solve the first one, but we're going to have to also spend big in the midfield area - especially attacking midfield - to solve the other two. We only have Lanzini and Payet that fit into those categories, and both have been injured for large chunks of this season. One hasn't even officially signed for us yet. Payet is the only player in the team further forward than the fullbacks that is able to regularly put decent crosses into the box.

If we do manage to sign Tore, then I believe he'll have a massive (and positive) impact on our attacking play next season.
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I'd have to disagree with you there ironilunga. I think the areas that need most improvement are:

Finishing
Creativity

Looks like we're going to spend big to solve the first one, but we're going to have to also spend big in the midfield area - especially attacking midfield - to solve the other two. We only have Lanzini and Payet that fit into those categories, and both have been injured for large chunks of this season. One hasn't even officially signed for us yet. Payet is the only player in the team further forward than the fullbacks that is able to regularly put decent crosses into the box.

If we do manage to sign Tore, then I believe he'll have a massive (and positive) impact on our attacking play next season.
Cresswell hits a lot of great balls in from the left. But he is facing the same problem as Jarvis before him: not enough people getting on the end of them. This, for me, is the biggest knock against Carroll as a striker ... On the rare occasions he's actually fit he almost never makes the runs into the area that would get him on the end of crosses that are flashing either side of the 6-yard line. He's not that kind of predatory striker. Well, he's not much of a professional footballer at all, to be honest. But that's another story ...

As for creativity, most clubs would be delighted to have either Payet or Lanzini. To have both is a real luxury. A third similar player, even if he could be found, would be superfluous.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

How creative is Lanzini really though? I don't think he creates chances in the same way Payet does. What he does do is help keep everything ticking over in the attacking third. He's a quick thinker and a snappy passer for sure and he's an important player for us - but how many times do you see him doing a good through ball, or whipping in a beauty of a cross? Not a criticism of him as I think he's a great player and certainly one of my favourites - but he's also a different type of player. If we're serious about being a top 4 side, then we do need to improve in this area.

I'm still sure that Bilic prefers the 4-2-3-1 formation but often reverts to 4-3-2-1 due to the personnel available to him. If we have a 3 behind the striker, then at the moment we have 4 players who can realistically play there. I'm not including Kouyate as I honestly don't think he's anywhere near creative enough to sit there despite is occasion bursts into the box. We have Payet, Lanzini, Antonio, and Moses to cover 3 positions. Two of them aren't even officially our players yet. Two of them have been injured for long chunks of time this season.

imo, at the very least we need to a) sign Lanzini b) sign Tore (or somebody else of his ability) and c) start introducing Samuelson to the first team, and maybe even Cullen.

Then chuck the rest of the cash at a proper striker or two. I don't disagree on this point.
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

A sad indictment on the game that we have not mentioned one English player in a list of who we would like to sign :-(

Obviously the % hike in signing homegrown players is off putting to most clubs but isn't there something good in signing players like Cresswell, Byram and Antonio from the Championship and seeing them come in and make a name for themeselves

I suppose its a sign of how far we have moved on that we need Instant gratificaton on signings. I'm not knocking it (we wouldn't have Payet, Lanzinni, Obiang etc otherwise) I just think its a shame really as I am sure there are some cracking players in the lower leagues.

PS - A fit Sturridge would guarantee you 20 goals but thats as rare as a fit Andy Carroll
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I'd have to disagree with you there ironilunga. I think the areas that need most improvement are:

Finishing
Creativity
Is our finishing/goal ratio that bad?

Why do we need to retain the ball in the final third? Especially if we are improving our finishing?

We have Song, Noble, Lanzini, Payet as creative outlets. And as we've seen, they haven't been too creative of late. Are they missing players further up the field? Movement maybe?
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

szola wrote: Why do we need to retain the ball in the final third?
Well - to expand - I meant as an alternative to frequently and cheaply giving the ball away as soon as we cross the half way line. It helps relieve some of the pressure too from our overworked defensive midfielders, and would perhaps allow them to venture forward a bit more.

I agree that there is a lack of movement though. We can bunch that in with finishing and get a couple of good quality strikers in that can do both!

Also, as it stands at the moment, I wouldn't really call Song a creative outlet.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

^ Jakakananory - I fancy a bit of that Posh defender with the big beard from last night. He was a beast. Our club needs better beards. Top of the list for the summer - a good beard and a Belgian.

Seriously though - I don't think there's a lot of good young English guys coming through in the Championship this season, in comparison with last (where most of them have been grabbed already). A lot of the start performers are 26/27/28, and there's not a lot of value in getting someone of that age. The only one I can think of that would help us would be Dale Stephens - he's 26, but bossing the midfield for Brighton. Lewis Dunk might be a CB we could have a look at, I guess.
Lincolnhammer92 wrote:Without wanting to be a bit reductionist on your whole post, which I do agree with most of, Tore is actually 22 months younger than Antonio.
I didn't realise Tore was that young (or Antonio was that old, to be honest) - feels like he's been around for a while. All that FM playing is colouring my player age guesses, obviously. But still - I'd rather we let Antonio have some playing time than replaced him, largely to bring through another English guy and to make good on our investment. Would hate to see us have a lot of expensive, recently purchased talent just pushed aside for more expensive new signings. Look at how that worked out for Chelsea and City - when they got money, their academies rotted away and they've hardly had any youngsters come through. We have such a crop of young talent (some from our youths, some we have got in) that I don't want to see that wasted.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Jackanakanory wrote:A sad indictment on the game that we have not mentioned one English player in a list of who we would like to sign :-(
Berahino. We should sign Berahino.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Jackanakanory wrote:A sad indictment on the game that we have not mentioned one English player in a list of who we would like to sign

Lallana or Ings from Liverpool ?
browney83
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by browney83 »

We should sign Gustavo Bou from Racing in Argentina. He is incredible and available for around £8m. I watch a fair bit of the South American leagues as am often down there with work. Check him out.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

It's because most English players are over priced and over rated though in 90% of the cases.

I think Tore seems likely with Billic here, we need to keep Lanzini think he is so talented.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Well - to expand - I meant as an alternative to frequently and cheaply giving the ball away as soon as we cross the half way line. It helps relieve some of the pressure too from our overworked defensive midfielders, and would perhaps allow them to venture forward a bit more.
I thought defensive midfielders were supposed to sit back, and let other players venture forward.
Burnley Hammer wrote:Also, as it stands at the moment, I wouldn't really call Song a creative outlet.
You are entitled to your opinion, although, based on our game with Song, I cannot see how he isn't one of the creative players. Creative players aren't simply the ones who play last pass before a goal. But they pass the ball more than others.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

I think Watford have just found another.

Adalberto Peñaranda

Remember that name.

Currently on loan at Granada until the end of the 2017 season but I would bid hard for this kid in the summer.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

szola wrote:Creative players aren't simply the ones who play last pass before a goal. But they pass the ball more than others.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that definition I'm afraid!
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Batshuayi
Breel Embolo
Lacazette