The 2016 summer transfer thread

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Re: A £20 million striker: The summer transfer thread

Post by Marky »

Bony. Top player
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

The cost is largely irrelevant. Payet cost less than £11m. Lanzini was about £7m, as was Antonio. What was Sakho, £4m or something?
Tommy Taylor's Jockstrap

Post by Tommy Taylor's Jockstrap »

£20 million striker?

Surely that should read 20 goals a season striker...?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I agree Bony would be great for West Ham.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Not that it matters too much, but this thread title has a (dare I say it) touch of the oatcake about it.

Can it not just be 'The Summer Transfer Thread'?
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

The Chinese and the TV money will push all prices.
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

hammers92 wrote:Sakho, Carroll and Valencia all need replacing so it's just a matter of determining which one goes first.

Sakho is the main striker who doesn't give us 20 goals and Carroll isn't reliable enough with his fitness to be called upon when needed. Valencia is just...Valencia

I am tempted to agree.I think that quality not quantity is the key with strikers.We have 3 there who,in my opinion,are not quite good enough.Add to that dubious injury records and we haven't got what we need.
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

hammers92 wrote:Sakho, Carroll and Valencia all need replacing so it's just a matter of determining which one goes first.

Sakho is the main striker who doesn't give us 20 goals and Carroll isn't reliable enough with his fitness to be called upon when needed. Valencia is just...Valencia
I was going to start exactly the same thread this morning having watched last's night game had Bristol not beaten me to it. Even if i don't quite agree with hammers92 opinion above that all the strikers must go, for example it can be very difficult to attract quality strikers when you predominatly play one up front. Just look at Spurs difficulties finding a back-up for Kane, although i would accept our hunt should be a little easier given any signing we should be looking to make should be our first choice striker.

Before anyone accuses me of knee-jerking or that he needs time to get his fitness back, Andy Carroll would be the first of the three strikers i'd look to sell/replace. It's clear that his style of play doesn't suit the rest of the team and inhibits us. But most disappointing of all seems to be his inability to change the way he plays/thinks at all. There was a couple of times last night when it was crying out for him to make a forward run, even if it was just a decoy run to allow Payet to move forward with the ball in to space, as it was Carroll would remain stationary cutting of all angles for Payet and the move fizzeled out on numerous occasssions. In fact the only time he showed any desire to get into the box was when he'd put a pull out wide, with the intention of getting on to it in the box, however he started each of these moves to deep and was nowhere near the box when it got tossed in there. While these are examples from last nights game, the same is true for the majority of his games in the claret and blue and i think its time we cut our losses if someone can be tempted to stump up the cash.

At the opposite end of the scale we have Sakho, who's workrate i love. Like Antonio the man is a warrior and will run himself into the ground for the team and manager. However, if we are truely to progress as a team we will need a striker who is a little more clinical, assured with his touch and more intelligent in his movement in and around the box. For the money we paid, Sakho has been a revelation and his willingness to run in to the channels is sorely missed when he doesn't play but i think we need someone with that strikers instinct to play on the shoulder a little more and worry defenders with that movement in behind them in areas which threaten.

Our performances this year, make me wonder where we'd be had we signed Chicorito. He certainly thinks like the striker i described above and while he might not have the same workrate as Sakho the pair of them would allow you to pick and choose depending on the opposition. Sakho for games like City away where you need a willing runner to relieve a bit of pressure on the defense.

As for Valencia while i'm not his biggest fan, i certainly think he would be a more than adequate 3rd choice striker for a team growing like ours. Like Sakho and unlike Carroll he is willing to run in behind defenders which opens up the game for our creative players Payet & Lanzini and gives midfielders like Noble the opportunity to pick out a pass. Plus for someone who wouldn't necessarily be playing every week he can play out wide if needed which adds depth to the squad.

As for potential Stikers i think the following would all be under consideration:

Michy Batshuayi (Marseille) - I won't add anything here which has already been said

Vincent Aboubakar (Porto) - Has the presence to play up top by himself, decent turn of pace from what i've seen and while a little raw i think his link up play would be an improvement on Sakho's currently. Money talks at Porto and i suspect he'd see the PL as a step up much like Imbula even though he's at a CL club

Mauro Icardi (Inter) - Appreciate this one may be a slightly longer shot, but rumours he has a difficult relationship with Mancini and with the new premier league money we should be able to compete on wages with former European big hitters like Inter. Certainly a more fox in the box striker like Chicorito and more clinical than anything we currently have, question marks would be over his application outside of the box and whether this would impact the team

Raffael (Broussia Monchengladbach) - Probably the most skillful of all those i've mentioned. Have been really impressed with him technically whenever i've seen the Bundesliga highlights and thought he did alright against City in the CL. While he might look slight he is use to playing by himself up top and is very good at finding space and bringing others in to play. Decent goalscoring record in germany for a couple of teams across a couple of seasons.

Breel Embolo (Basel) - Like Batshuyi, he's the name which has probably courted most attention on these pages. Good athlete inspite of his tender age and will only improve, the only question i would have over him being our main striker is, aged 18 is he to young to be a PL regular and for the sort of money we'd have to pay for him would it be a gamble not signing a more established striker. I would however accept the counter argument that we can't expect to sign finished articles and if he was bigger more established clubs than us would be after him.

Paco Alcacer (Valencia) - While there's some uncertainty surrounding Valencia and their manager situation one things for certain. They predominately play one up top, which means Negredo or this lad misses out. Alcacer is the younger of the two and i'd suggest the more mobile and willing runner outside of the box. Has an eye for goal as his scoring record will testify and could be depended to leave Valencia if they won't have CL football next year.
worthinghammer
Has liked: 23 likes

Post by worthinghammer »

madhammer, please refrain from posting sensible, informed discussions on actual players and instead comment on the thread title (i.e confusing £20m with 20 goals)....you're really letting the side down
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Post by Claretdave »

We need more from the front line next season if we are to push forward. However, who comes in and who goes out depends on the formation Bilic wants to play next season.

All our front three offer something, none are the complete package. That player may be available from anything from £0 to £40m. I haven't seen enough of some of the names mentioned, but would love to see Bony here.
1860OnceMoore

Post by 1860OnceMoore »

Sturridge, Batshuyhi, sign up Lanzini - Offload Valencia, Song & probably big Andy!

Would also like to see Sadio Mane brought in to bolster forward options!

Lots of money, but we are expecting big things so why not
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

If we pretend Sakho is a winger can we avoid people trying to sell him on? Works his ****ing b*llocks off along that front 4, he's the one striker we should be keeping if everyone else is being shipped off.

We'd win the league with 11 Sakho's.
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Burnley Hammer wrote:I'd like batshuayi, Tore, and a backup creative attacking midfielder that is equally happy playing wide or centrally..
This. I would't mind a couple of full backs chucked in as well, but all of the above need to happen. :thup:
djoe

Post by djoe »

Zlatan on a free transfer will do it up front :wink:
Just throw the money at Tore and Lanzini (on a permanent deal)
Then sign a cheap back-up RB (Ola Aina U21 English international and doesnt want to renew his contract at Chelsea so available for a nominal fee) and our summer business is done.
fjthegrey
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

FJ's Taking Us To The Next Level Big Dick Summer Transfer Targets

Ever Banega

Contract expiring in the summer. Top quality, technical ball playing central midfielder. Not particularly competent defensively but for my money one of the finest passers of the ball in world football at the moment. Will be on the radar of many clubs, some bigger than us. Worth making an attempt to sign.

Javier Pastore

World class central attacking midfielder. Near perfect technique, exceptional ball retention and dribbling skills and a really graceful and languid style of play. Would cost us some dollar but could be available as he hasn't played much for PSG this year, partly to do with injuries and partly because they have 800 top class players in their squad. Long shot but again, worth testing the waters.

Simone Zaza

Much linked 24 year old striker who should theoretically be approaching his prime. Still rarely used by Juventus yet still relatively prolific during the times he has played. A Christian Vieri style striker who uses his body well and has a very aggressive approach to the game. Puts himself about and lashes his shots with much ferocity. Will almost certainly be available in the summer for about what we paid for Andy Carroll.

Domenico Berardi

If Zaza isn't available, Berardi probably will be, although we definitely won't be alone in courting him. The best young player I've seen this season. Quick, works like a dog and genuine class on the ball. Can play all across the frontline and would very much fit into the way Bilic's teams like to attack. Gets as many assists as he does goals. Currently playing for Sassuolo but Juve have an option on him. If they don't take it up there will be a scramble for him that I would like us to be involved in.

That's enough for now.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

F*ck it.

I want Fernando Torres. He'd almost certainly be sh*t. But just imagine if we could tease one more season out of him like his first few at Liverpool.

Payet to Torres.

Sh*t.The. Bed.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Obviously not watched much of Torres over the last 4 years TTS.

Finished.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

fjthegrey wrote:Obviously not watched much of Torres over the last 4 years TTS.

Finished.
Sadly I have, FJ.I'm sure he'd be dreadful, but.....imagine if he wasn't.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I think the guy from Marseille is going to be highly sought after.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Turns to Stone wrote:Sadly I have, FJ.I'm sure he'd be dreadful, but.....imagine if he wasn't.
If that is the line, then I'm hoping we sign Ronaldo and he can have another 96/97 season.