Transfer Window: January 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Re: Transfer Window: January 2017

Post by YorksHammer »

Up the Junction wrote:We'll see, Dan. I suspect it has more to do with the fact that we were playing Palace and 'Boro who are both battling relegation, but if we win tonight then I'll gladly accept I was wrong..
I'd probably put more weight against the performances and results against Southampton, West Brom and Watford in the rest of February than against the one tonight, personally - a defeat tonight against City doesn't mean we are struggling post-Payet. But if we can play those other three teams without losing 3-0, 4-2 and 4-2 again it means a bit more.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

it's how we play tonight that is the important point
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I notice Sheffield Wednesday got some "Arsenal" treatment from the FA allowing them to sign Jordan Rhodes after the window had closed.
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Up the Junction wrote:We'll see, Dan. I suspect it has more to do with the fact that we were playing Palace and 'Boro who are both battling relegation, but if we win tonight then I'll gladly accept I was wrong..
It's a hard one to judge.

Since the Arsenal reaming we've been pretty good value - we walloped Swansea with Payet still in the team.

The only poor outing since the start of December - in terms of failing to get either a passable performance and/or getting a result - was the City game really. But even that had extenuating circumstances: third game of the week, one for 80 mins with 10 men a few days before. The soft penalty basically caused a white flag.

That's one inarguably duff outing in the last 9. However fragile, that's still a marked improvement from how many we put out between August and December.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Oldun wrote:Once someone has an agenda against something,whatever happens they will only see it their way .
on the ****ing nose my friend. :thup:
brooking_1980
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

The Board won't stump up nice cash for the summer, it will be a case of 1 in, 1 out, Valencia & Sakho back, they both feel like new signings.

Despite all their promises, we won't attract World Class players, they won't get a market rate salary here, there's little prospect of Silverware, why come here ? There's Bilic, that's good, if he stays, the fans, if they can connect with us, given the distance. No I think we'll become a 7th to 18th place club, with little to shout for. Hope I am wrong.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

brooking_1980 wrote:No I think we'll become a 7th to 18th place club, with little to shout for. Hope I am wrong.
as opposed to "a 7th to 18th place club with the odd relegation, with little to shout for."?
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

This is the most depressing read
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

Aceface wrote:Including Lanzini as a post-OS signing means admitting to being Sullivan'd a bit, since it was announced during his first season there.
The Lanzini deal was an example of G&S being a bit cute with how they use smoke and mirrors with announcing transfers to us fans and managing our expectations.

He was announced in the the summer 2015 window as a loan signing with a view to a permanent deal at the end of the season.

He hugely impresses so they state in January that they will be bringing the option to sign him forward and buying him in February so basically is our main signing in the January window. We should have pushed on for 4th spot but they only delivered on a loan for a fairly poor Emineke.

They then for some reason try to include Lanzini signing as money spent in the summer 2016 window. :eh:

Crafty.
bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 233 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Roby wrote: \
The Lanzini deal was an example of G&S being a bit cute with how they use smoke and mirrors with announcing transfers to us fans and managing our expectations.
If you haven't already, it's worth reading JFK's posts over in the "Where has the money gone?" thread for a detailed explanation why the Lanzini move was done the way it was done.

:kumb:
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

Bitter-iron-ny, will do. :thup:
Jinxed

Post by Jinxed »

The clubs ambitions and transfer market activity let Payet down

Promises were broken
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Jinxed wrote:The clubs ambitions and transfer market activity let Payet down

Promises were broken
Was that his main/ only reason for wanting out Jinxed? Or is there any truth in the family stuff as well?
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Edited by a mod

Potentially libelous post removed
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Ozza wrote:it's how we play tonight that is the important point

hmmmm, lots of similarities to the last shoeing we had of this lot, and that was blamed on the french bloke, lots of noise about how we had turned things round once he was with the U23's not sure I saw much of it tonight
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

The Rebirth wrote:
That's because you are possibly the most negative poster on this board currently.

If you're going to look at everything as bad it's no wonder why you moan so much.

We sold a player who didn't want to be here and brought in a player to fill the gap, no he isn't Payet but he represented good value in the current climate.

Fonte also he is great cover for Ogbonna possibly even an upgrade.
Not at all, un less you only read my posts. I never said Fonte wasn't an upgrade but we're weaker now then Jan 1st, no question about it, it was a poor window, highlighted perfectly in tonight's tonking.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Jumby wrote:Talk up potential signings of Fabregas and Hart, which I very much doubt either will happen, to try and cover up the fact that we're not going to spend the Payet money on Hogan or anyone else. When the Fabregas deal doesn't come off they'll say 'we just didn't have enough time' and then by the summer they'll say that they're happy with Randy and will either offer Adrian a new contract or go after an understudy to Randy.
:fsake:
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Jeez...our run of form got the board out of spending anymore money didn't it? Couldn't have come at a better time for them.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

jacko wrote:Jeez...our run of form got the board out of spending anymore money didn't it? Couldn't have come at a better time for them.
bang on
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Got the hump at another abject display, only for my wife to come out with 'My work colleague has gone tonight with her husband and kids. they are season ticket holders'.

'I didn't know you worked with Hammers' I replied. 'They are not West Ham fans. they got season tickets because they are so cheap. they only go when they are are playing the big clubs. Cheaper than them going to Arsenal for a few games a season'. Headbanger