Transfer Window: January 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 657 likes

Re: Sullivan BS Loans and Free Signings January 2017 thread

Post by bristolhammerfc »

smuts wrote:The Insider will be dusting off his pen soon.

Expect to see "Working day and night", "Remain Frustrated" "Harder to secure players than they thought" and "delighted to secure the South american on loan" coming to an article in January.
You forgot, "hard to get value for money in January", "FFP", "loan with an option", "players returning to fitness."

This will be followed by Del boy and Rodney Twitter telling us how they saved the club and a tweet from Gold telling us to "Welcome Dave Payet", a week before he is sold whilst showing a picture of Freddie Sears.

but otherwise spot on.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2014 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Re: January 2017 Transfer Window

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

simon hammer wrote:Outs - Carroll, Zaza, Tore, Callieri, Feghouli, Nordtveit, Sakho, Byram.

Ins - Sturridge or Lacazette, and a right back.

Try and keep Payet, even if it means paying over the odds for a striker.
So you want rid of eight players, Kouyate will be off to Afcon, so that makes nine and you propose to bring in just two new faces? :shock:

Stick to your day job Simon.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Re: January 2017 Transfer Window

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Believer wrote:
The same goes with Payet. People seem to think we'd reinvest the money. Not a chance. This summer we should have added to him. Instead we've now got people advocating his sale. Would Lanzini step up to the mantle in his absence or would he feel it's a lost cause staying here as well ? Sad times.
Bang on Believer. Sadly.

Selling Payet now would be like selling Rio all over again. Whilst I didn't think our business in the Summer was awful my concern then was that let alone build on the previous two transfer windows we'd actually lost impetus or stood still at best. I wish I'd been wrong on that but it doesn't look that way.

Basically we could have tens of millions in the bank from selling Payet but would not be an attractive option for good players. We'd be signing this year's Rigobert Song and Titi Camara.
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

Lacazette and a proper right back
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

I can see a Wayne Bridge-style, mega-£££ loan deal for Sturridge with a crazy bonus for keeping us up (much to the rest of the squad's annoyance).

And then Sturridge getting injured after 2 games.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

bubbles1966 wrote:Mirror links us to Lukasz Teodorczyk, Dynamo Kiev CF on loan at Anderlecht.
Just what we need, another random, overseas chancer with no previous experience of Prem.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

bubbles1966 wrote:I hope to God we ain't going to waste time chasing players who are way beyond our reach.
:thup:

That has been the single most depressing issue with our current owners.
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

Someone who has scored an EPL goal would be nice. I really can't get my head around this Arbeloa situation, like WTF, 'World Cup winning right back' doesn't get a game but we persist with Antonio. Is Slav really this hard to get on with?
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

We don't need anything drastic. It really does come down to having zero goals from the front, it's putting immense pressure on everyone else - Payet and the defence especially.

A bog-standard PL forward will get you a goal every third game, and even someone with a fairly mediocre conversion rate like Carroll once every 4.

Given we're coming up to a dozen games now, 3 or 4 goals in the right games and we're about where we were last season. We don't need an Icardi to get that, just someone with a modicum of finishing skill.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Arbeloa, 33 years old, barely played for a year, was never more than just a solid right back at his very best anyway.

It was another cheap filler that was never likely to work out in my eyes.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Sir Carlton. He's already here, and he doesn't have to wait till January.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Outs
Carroll
Enner
Tore
Zaza
Sakho
Payet - for about £35million to psg as his form has dipped
Callieri
Kouyate - will want champions leauge football

Ins
Smalling and or Phil Jones
Siggurdson
Leko from wba
One or two forwards
Overchuffed
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

kayahammer wrote:Sir Carlton. He's already here, and he doesn't have to wait till January.
I'm afraid he would have to wait. We already have a full "25 man squad" and cannot make changes until the January window opens....not that this should even be an option.
I love the man...but don't want him back again.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

My prediction is that Carroll will be fit by the end of December, he will be hailed as being "like a new signing". He will then get injured again when we play Man City on 1st Feb, unfortunately it will then be too late for us to get anybody in to cover him.
We will also sign some bloke who wasn't quite good enough for a mid table Serie A side on loan until the end of the season.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

ToiletDuck wrote:Outs

Payet - for about £35million to psg as his form has dipped
Honestly, the number of people advocating this at the moment is embarrassing.

Who would you buy as a replacement? The guy with the second most chances created in the PL? Two reminders - a Yannick Bolasie or Moussa Sissoko costs £30m these days, and that - once again - he created our only goal on Saturday. If Adrian didn't go dancing he would have been the literal matchwinner.

Just like Avram Grant winning that poll for who should be next manager on here, if he does get sold in January the historical revisionism will be a sight to behold. No-one will ever claim to have said it was a good idea a few years down the line.
Samo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Samo »

God knows who he will find. Half the problem is the team Is so slow going forward. They break forward then they stop turn around pass the CB and at this point the opposition has time to get back in numbers, have a p*ss brush their hair and be ready for any pointless cross we float in.

So for me we need pace!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote:We don't need anything drastic. It really does come down to having zero goals from the front, it's putting immense pressure on everyone else - Payet and the defence especially.

A bog-standard PL forward will get you a goal every third game, and even someone with a fairly mediocre conversion rate like Carroll once every 4.

Given we're coming up to a dozen games now, 3 or 4 goals in the right games and we're about where we were last season. We don't need an Icardi to get that, just someone with a modicum of finishing skill.
This
We need to stop chasing unrealistic targets and just buy someone who has experience of leading the line in English style football and will score now and again. They don't need to be amazing to dig us out of this hole, just half decent (and not injury prone)

Lacazette is not going to come to West Ham in January. The teams in and around us at the bottom are not going to sell us their best players (i.e Defoe, Sigurddson)

We need to identify realistic targets, who have experience of English football, and get them done quickly in January. We need a couple of players who can hit the ground running with the aim of ensuring we don't get relegated. Pie in the sky chasing of a higher grade player can wait till Summer

Yes, that is all a bit depressing and not exactly ambitious. but, unfortunately, that is the situation we now find ourselves in. so we have to act accordingly
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

@Aceface
I am not advocating we sell him at all. I am merely proposing a situation we could well be faced with.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1094 likes

Post by Rio »

It's hard enough at the best of times to bring in quality in the January window. We saw that last year when we we're flying. It'll be twice as tough this time round.

You know for a fact they won't spend money. You know for a fact Sullivan will be in full Football Manager (other computer football manager type simulation games are available) mode.

You know for a fact we'll sign at least 2 players that most have barely heard of, let alone seen
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Samo wrote:

So for me we need pace!

We have pace if we use the right players - we played like men possessed during the second half against West Brom -

.................................Adrian.............................................

...........Reid...............Kouyate......................Ogbonna......................................................

.Fernandes..............................................................Cresswell...........................................

.....................................Obiang..............Lanzini..........................................................

..Antonio / Feghouli................Ayew..................................Payet..................................