Transfer Window: January 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Re: January 2017 Transfer Window

Post by upton o'good »

Het-Field wrote:There is significant rectification needed before actually appraising what is necessary in January.

1.Determine the roles to be played by Arbeloa, Sakho, and Valencia. If they are totally out of favour, and Slav has determined they are done, that is it. Attempt to sell, and pay off Arbeloa. There is no point having players around the team.

2.Make a final call on Zaza. His game time is now going to be regulated by the terms of his contract, and he has limited time to make an impact. There appears to be roughly £20 Million riding on this.

3.Return Byram, Makuasu, and Carroll to the squad as and when injury permits, and see what they can do.

4.Finalise the shape and formation for the team. The 3-4-3 has yielded 7 points out of a possible ten, which isn't bad, but we are losing on Kouyate's strengths in order to play that way.

In terms of actual signings, I'm currently at a loss as to what is necessary. Although hopefully we might get a single striker who will give us a better return than the ones we have brought in so far.
You are kidding right? Moving Kouyate out of midfield has been the single greatest benefit of going 3 at the back. He can't pass, and he doesn't have the positional discipline to protect the back 4 which is why we kept going for 3 and 4 goals a match. Playing Obiang in Koyate's position has been a huge step forward.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

As well as an extra physical presence to compete/replace/supersede Carroll, we must add some pace up front.

Last year we were playing with Sakho, Valencia, Emenike and Moses - all of whom were pretty sprightly, whatever their failings. That enabled to break and pressure.

That variety has been virtually eliminated except when Antonio is up top.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:It'll still be loans though. Sullivan will continue to think he can spot a world class cheapie despite all evidence to the contrary.
I once heard him say

"I personally scouted Demba Ba ."
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1153 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... ent=safari" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The longer you are in the game and the longer you’ve had the manager, you get involved more and more,” Sullivan said. “Because when you see your money wasted year after year, you think: ‘I could do as good as that.

“And you really can, you know. I know that sounds daft but if you’ve had 20 years of buying players, seeing money spent … they’re not geniuses, managers.”
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

hammer1975 wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... ent=safari" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The longer you are in the game and the longer you’ve had the manager, you get involved more and more,” Sullivan said. “Because when you see your money wasted year after year, you think: ‘I could do as good as that.

“And you really can, you know. I know that sounds daft but if you’ve had 20 years of buying players, seeing money spent … they’re not geniuses, managers.”
'You see all that money wasted...' 'i could do that'

Yes David, yes you could.
TheFuMaster

Post by TheFuMaster »

Had Leicester not chucked crazy money to try and get him, leading to him signing an improved deal, I'd have tried to go in for Deeney. Not the most glamorous name but scores goals and could see him performing in a Carroll esque mould.

Perhaps a return for Defoe? Stranger things have happened.

Was thinking Phil Jones for coverage at RB, CB and Defensive Midfield but see he's back in the Manure fold.

So long as the players we do sign are actually Slavens...
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1153 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Define 'silly money'

An average premier league striker is £20m

Let's identify the type of player (not just the position) and not just but a player who plays in a position because they provide value - be that £5m (unlikely) or £30m

Bubbs is right - we've lost our pace and press up front and that has impacted the whole team
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Express linking Ivanovic.

I think he's past his best by some, but can understand why we'd be linked - out of contract soon, plays CB/RB.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

the pink palermo wrote:
I once heard him say

"I personally scouted Demba Ba ."
I find this frightening. This is the problem with some rich people. They think every decision they make is a good one and they think they know better than everyone else.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Daniel Sturridge on the bench again, it really looks like he is the odd man out at Liverpool. The same is true for Schneiderlin at Man Utd who has only payed 2 minutes of premier league football this year, and even Batshuayi . They would all improve us, especially Sturridge.
Right now we are only going to get players who aren't in favour and need a move or have problems at their current club. If there is any chance we can get Sturridge or Batshuayi or Icardi who is hated by the Inter fans, or in a dream world more than one of them, then w absolutely have to do everything to do so. We are desperately missing a proper striker, a proper number 9.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

None of those players will come to a team in the relegation zone. Not to mention, our owners will never pay the money for any of them, especially in January.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Jacko, I'm not joking, he said it in front of 100 o r so people .

For me the priority in January has to be clearing out players , and if that means limping through to the end of the season, so be it .

Zaza, Sakho, Calleri, Nordveit, Tore, Byram can all go

For the right money I'd also shift Payet to provide the funds to rebuild in the summer

If we can find any takers I'd reluctantly sell Carroll , as he simply isn't fit often enough

I wouldn't buy or borrow anyone in January .

8 out , none in .
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Now that we have Ayew, Antonio, Payet, Lanzini and Noble what is the point of Feghouli - unless he's Payet's replacement?

Similar with Nordtveit. Obiang, Fernandes, Noble and Kouyate for holding; Kouyate, Collins, Reid and Ogbonna for the back.

Wonder what Nordtveit and Feghouli would fetch if put on the market?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

£4m the pair top whack .
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Pinky I agree to some extent but we need a striker so I think at the worst we need 1 in. I think the dressing room harmony was ruined by some bad apples and too much change. It seems to me that Zaza, Calleri, and Tore were disastrous signings. We can't sell Feghouli and Nordveit till the summer as they were frees but they look wasteful signings as well. We really need to drop he scattergun approach and be more deliberate and professional in our approach. Right now we need at least one clinical striker, potentially a right back and a centre back, although I would prefer to get Oxford's contract sorted and play him.
If we can shift, Tore, Zaza, Calleri Sakho, Carroll and bring in a clinical striker (even on loan) we can then look at rebuilding properly in the summer.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

We're four points off eighth, as well as one above eighteenth.

A RB, GK and two forwards (one big target man, one whippet) would put us back where we were last year.

Let's see how clever the owners are. Let's see how good they are at delivering the goods.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1833 likes
Total likes: 1145 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

fjthegrey wrote:Loans.
Absolutely, 2 or 3 loans terminated and another couple loaned in to replace them. No doubt they'll be just as s*** and a very close squeak with relegation will ensue :thdn:
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

In:

Sturridge - Loan
Ivanovic - Free
Mikel - Free
Sigurdsson - £15 million

Out:

Sakho - £12 million
Oxford - Loan
Payet - £40 million (if he wants to go let him go, player power almost always wins out)
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I'd still like Carlitos.

Would enliven the crowd if nothing else.
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Sahko cash plus Rondon WBA