Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bobo

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by bobo »

Unrest at Stoke & Shawcross apparently up for grabs......

Offer £10m plus Fonte or (tin hat) Ogbonna
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

bobo wrote:Unrest at Stoke & Shawcross apparently up for grabs......

Offer £10m plus Fonte or (tin hat) Ogbonna
I don't believe that Ogbonna is a bad player. Put him with Alderweild and he would be mustard. Unfortunately Reid can now be classed as injury prone. He doesn't win MOTM as often as he used to and I don't think that's Ogbonna or Collins or even Fonte's fault.

Our whole squad lacks pace. Central Defence, midfield and up front - the core of our team. No Antonio means no pace so we out Feghouli ??

If we sign Carvalho and that looks promising, I think it'll be maybe as suggested earlier 1 for 1 or maybe 2 for 2. We will easily finish mid table with our squad. We can then look to central defence and pace next summer.

On the whole this'll be a good window and certainly better than I expected. Rome want built in a day. It was last summer that set us back as has been demonstrated in outing most of them this year
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

I would have liked to have kept Fegs and got rid of Ayew.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

So then this week should see Feghouli gone, Carvalho in.

Surely, we've got a quick wide man lined up.
bobo

Post by bobo »

IanBishopLegend7 wrote:I would have liked to have kept Fegs and got rid of Ayew.
Have to agree,

I just don't get Ayew at all, what is he? What's his best role? How did Swansea get the best out of him?

He just controls the ball in his own half and stands there doesn't move just looking at the ball thinking "****!! What the f*** do I do now, hopefully they'll foul me in a minute so I can throw myself to the floor"

Has no pace, no movement, cannot run beyond play and can't defend or pass a ball.

Think his pretty ****
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Shawcross isn't exactly young, almost 30 but for the right price would be an upgrade on Fonte, although I have a feeling Fonte is part of the reason we are close to signing Carvalho.
To be honest I think we look at a lot of our players, especially longer serving players, or those who sacrifice for the club like Ogbonna and Noble playing hurt last year, through claret and blue coloured specs.
Shawcross and Smalling who are both "available " at reasonable prices are probably be an upgrade on any of our centre backs.
I am trying not to be too much of a knee jerker, but today showed pretty much all over the pitch we can use upgrading and you get what you pay for, and until this season, we have rarely paid top third prices for players under Sullivan and Gold.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

I do think feghouli had more to offer this season, more than snodgrass and potentially more than arnautovic to be honest, I certainly don't think he's gonna be £20m better than him anyway.
I hope to be proved wrong though.

I did think Ayew was looking better at the end of the season, I honestly feel like our pre season has been the biggest problem. No home games, what felt like hardly any pre season games at all (though that could just be me) we just don't look ready at all, none of them
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Peaches wrote: I am trying not to be too much of a knee jerker, but today showed pretty much all over the pitch we can use upgrading and you get what you pay for, and until this season, we have rarely paid top third prices for players under Sullivan and Gold.
What we've done though with our 2 most expensive signings is buy from our rivals. We've put a marker down that we are a step up for their best players. That costs money. Thing is when you are breaking your transfer record twice, you'd hope that you are buying exceptional players. How much extra last summer would Sigurdsson have cost over and above what we paid for Ayew ? £10m ? Or in real terms, Snodgrass?

We've spent minimum £20m on Arnie. £25m would have got us Iheanacho.

We are wasting money. It's admirable that we are spending money but I think we need to look at who we are spending it on.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

bobo wrote:
I just don't get Ayew at all, what is he? What's his best role? How did Swansea get the best out of him?
They rarely did. Spoke to Swansea fans last year at our home game:

"He's a great player, if you can ever find where he plays".

He needs to be in behind the striker. Or around the box. Out wide was just stupid.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

All Ayew does is score goals. What were West Ham thinking?
bobo

Post by bobo »

Bacuna who was on high wages apparently at Villa has just signed for Reading for around 3m....

Frees up space for Snodgrass maybe?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Ayew was dreadful, no two ways about it, but once again he was the only one to have a shot on target. Even at his worst he always threatens the goal during a game.
Last edited by Aceface on Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanBishopLegend7

Ayew has neat touches and finish. We just don't have the tactics or formation for him.

I felt he was signed to keep Payet company.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Aceface wrote:Ayew was dreadful, no two ways about it, but once again he was the only one to have a shot on target. Even at his worst he always threatens the goal during a game.
Slaven's obviously trying to build a front 4 that play nice inter passing football to score - one touch players. The move for the effort before HT was a rare moment of real quality from us.

It was a bit like the opener against Burnley last game last year.

Pass and move teams tend to play it short rather than go Hollywood.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

So I might be coming a bit late to this but...

This afternoon we had a keeper, a striker and 5 defenders on the bench

How come Feghouli, who we apparently pay 60,000 a week, has been swanning around, missing training, negotiating himself a deal and wasn't even on the bench

And then how come Snodgrass, unfit and lazy and 0n 45,000 a week, wasn't even on the bench either.

These 2 guys wouldn't have changed the result much, but we pay their wages, how come they aren't available to us? On a two week calculation, that's around 200,000 grand on 2 players we can't even put on the bench

Better hope we've organised a decent sale for them both
MD_HM
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Feghouli is in Turkey signing for another club and my guess is Snodgrass is just about to go somewhere on loan
IanBishopLegend7

I would play Peter Butler over Ayew on the right wing.
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

Yes, I hope that's true, because if it isn't it amounts to incompetent squad management
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

If Feghouli and Snodgrass leave, we definitely need another wide / creative player. I also agree we have wasted money by trying to get "value for money". Quality costs and until this season we haven't been prepared to accept that.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

We need a strong, agile, muscular forward like Okaka, Niang, Success, Rondon.