Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

DDHammer

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by DDHammer »

Lostcoco wrote: I know Lanzini is our main creative area but he's never shown to have that final ball into the striker that Payet gave us

You could argue that Lanzini had Carroll, Calleri, Ayew to work off but Payet had Carroll, Emenike and Jelavic and still managed more than 10 assists compared to Lanzini's 2
I reckon 80% of Payet's assists came from sticking the ball on Antonio's head from out wide or set peices, Lanzini isn't a winger, he won't be crossing the ball just like Payet wasn't sliding balls into our strikers.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Lostcoco wrote:Sakho kept Palace up last season, would be another "next level" signing but he would cost 30m or so
As I've said many times, I wouldn't give 30p for him. Next level but Liverpool (who may be) gave him away?
goof

Post by goof »

I said we don't have enough attacking talent on the bench, we are now saying there is no creativity. As bad as they have been Fegs & Snodgrass at least give us something, I can't understand the logic in selling both, unless there is another creative player lined up, which there isn't. I no they can't just throw Sakho away, after refusing to play after Arsenal & spending last season out with a mystery illness he should not be here. We need another forward to replace Sakho & Carvalho to complete this window. People saying Ayew, Antonio & Arni can fill, it ain't bloody working.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

I was wrong this morning I said that today's match might at least begin to help answer the forward/midfield/defence weakness Conundrum. Seems not and instead has perhaps simply thrown the Manager into the mix for debate too. Did last season ever end.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

We have to give serious consideration to the centre of our defence. I have been saying this for at least a year and some may not like this, but Winston Reid is not what you think he is
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:We have to give serious consideration to the centre of our defence. I have been saying this for at least a year and some may not like this, but Winston Reid is not what you think he is
I agree about Reid. And yet he is still our best centre back.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

e-20 wrote:I was wrong this morning I said that today's match might at least begin to help answer the forward/midfield/defence weakness Conundrum. Seems not and instead has perhaps simply thrown the Manager into the mix for debate too. Did last season ever end.
I think most people expected a loss, and most expected our midfield to get dominated and many thought we'd let a goal in from a set play.

If the game had finished 0-2 five minutes earlier, there would be no real gnashing of teeth.

Carroll, Lanzini, Kouyate and Antonio are players that elevate us. If we're left with just the 6/10 week in, week out players, we'll get rogered by the top 6.

We never seem to get anything like our best team on the pitch against top opposition.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Based on today's performance I would have to agree. He was awful. We still need 3 or 4 players. We need at least one solid centre back who is a leader, a holding midfielder (hopefully that is Carvalho), a creative central midfielder as today showed we are lost without Lanzini and a creative pacey wide player. Smalling, Carvalho, Wilshere and Balde would have made a massive difference, after today I'd be prepared to Sacrifice Reid, Fernandes, Snodgrass, Fonte and even Obiang.
Believer
Has liked: 1432 likes
Total likes: 766 likes

Post by Believer »

Georgee Paris wrote:I think I just saw a jet from Portugal do a hand break turn.
Aztec Hammer wrote: Hopefully it's just gone back to pick up another defender or two.
Hopefully not another Fonte or 2 ! :shock:
Believer

Post by Believer »

Peaches wrote:Smalling, Carvalho, Wilshere and Balde would have made a massive difference, after today I'd be prepared to Sacrifice Reid, Fernandes, Snodgrass, Fonte and even Obiang.
So by that reckoning we would have Ogbonna, Collins and Smalling as our CHs ?

I suspect we will swap Snodgrass for Sunderland's CH we've been linked with whose name escapes me. We will also probably look to get another winger in - maybe this Jota and that'll be it after Carvalho who will hopefully sign.

The one I'm baffled with is Arnie. To me he is nowhere near a £25m player. Accepted it's £20m with add-ons but is he really that much better than Snodgrass ? He certainly isn't from what I've seen of him twice the player that's for sure.

Ayew and Arnautovic as our wingers doesn't fill me with anticipation. If Antonio is fit where will Ayew play ?

I'd sooner have kept Feghouli, sold Ayew and not bothered with Arnie. We would be about £40m better off and could have been looking at getting in a top CH to go along with Carvalho.

Hopefully I will be proved wrong but Arnie just seems like this years Ayew. Buying for the sake of buying. No thought process.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

What's the official word on Snodgrass?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:What's the official word on Snodgrass?
Retired.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Not going to write off Arnie already....but the boss moans about a lack of pace in the side, looks to sell Feghouli who can at least run and Arnie is never going to roast a defender is he? :eh:
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

smuts wrote:Not going to write off Arnie already....but the boss moans about a lack of pace in the side, looks to sell Feghouli who can at least run and Arnie is never going to roast a defender is he? :eh:
We haven't addressed the pace issue at all. We have actually got slower by swapping Byram for Zaba.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

smuts wrote:Not going to write off Arnie already....but the boss moans about a lack of pace in the side, looks to sell Feghouli who can at least run and Arnie is never going to roast a defender is he? :eh:
He's rapid over 20-30 yards.

Zabaleta, Ayew and Noble have no pace from the team who started today. Fernandes looks a bit like a wuss.
Gabers

Post by Gabers »

We need to go all out and sign Dybala from Juventus without further delay
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

bubbles1966 wrote: He's rapid over 20-30 yards.

Zabaleta, Ayew and Noble have no pace from the team who started today. Fernandes looks a bit like a wuss.
Fernandes ducked out of the wall against Altona 93 which they scored from. He should have gone on loan immediately to toughen him up. He needs to decide what his game is as well because he doesn't really do anything very well, just does ok at everything.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Gabers wrote:We need to go all out and sign Dybala from Juventus without further delay

He wears his socks too low.

Those unprotected shins would be an accident waiting to happen.
Gabers

Post by Gabers »

somerset-hammer wrote:
He wears his socks too low.

Those unprotected shins would be an accident waiting to happen.
Fair point I suppose
Believer

Post by Believer »

He can't even take a free kick that beats the first man. I'm trying not to write him off but I questioned the signing of Ayew last season and am questioning this one too.

My gut feeling is that Stoke won't really miss him.