Summer Transfer Window 2017

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017

Post by Believer »

MD_HM wrote:
I actually was going to say the same thing but thought it might come across a bit "Spurs" and didn't want to get ahead of ourselves
Ha ha ha...I didn't claim we would be title winners and the best team in London, the league, Europe...... :lol:
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

bubbles1966 wrote:Lanzini is at the standard Coutinho was two years ago under Brendan Rogers.

He's good for about 10 goals/assists a season - the others mentioned are hitting 15 minimum, 20 often.

He hasn't fully broken through yet. Hopefully, this will be the year.
Although I agree Lanzini is not quite there yet... which is why I said if he continues and next summer

I would say stats can be misleading depending on the the club a player is at and how that club is performing

For example if Lanzini had been in the Man City starting XI for the last two years I would imagine his stats would look a lot better and some might even then conclude he is at a higher level.

However on the other hand it can make players look better than they actually are, for example Sterling :D
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Believer wrote:I'm not sure which site you get the stats from so I may be completely wrong in my thinking here but...How did his stats compare last season to the season before though when he had Kante in his side. I'm guessing he got a lot more in 15/16 ? This is why us signing Carvalho (hopefully) will greatly improve the stats of our attacking players.
Mahrez was 10 goals +5 assists last year in the PL/CL - Lanzini was 8+2.

Eriksen was 9+17, Coutinho 13+7.
DaveRayleigh777

Post by DaveRayleigh777 »

Got to say I like how Antonio is coming across on MOTD2. He's erudite, honest and pretty straight talking. Good guy to have in the West Ham dressing room.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

In fairness if Lanzini was playing with Kane, Mane or Vardy instead of Calleri and Zaza his assists might have been higher :lol:

That's sort of my point, stats are relevant to other factors as well
Whu_Law23
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by Whu_Law23 »

MD_HM wrote:In fairness if Lanzini was playing with Kane, Mane or Vardy instead of Calleri and Zaza his assists might have been higher :lol:

That's sort of my point, stats are relevant to other factors as well
Agree, this is why I think Lanzini will be here for another year at least. Supplying the likes of Chicarito and Arnie instead of Zaza and Calleri should hopefully improve him and us greatly!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

You ain't gonna get the work rate from Mahrez that Klopp wants. You will from Lanzini. Moot point at the minute and they'd be better off going elsewhere if they wanted to push on again anyway.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Sport Witness‏ @Sport_Witness 1h1 hour ago

West Ham have made a new offer, totalling more than €42.5m, real progress made. #WHUFC #COYI http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-ham-made ... ress-made/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
traxop

Post by traxop »

Rays Rock wrote:No disrespect to Lanzini who is a fabulous player with a big future, but if Liverpool get £100 m for coutinho surely they won't appease the Liverpool fans with a signing like Lanzini. I'm hoping they might have to sign a more established name from the top end of world football. Champs league pedigree kind of thing.
While Liverpool wouldn't be able to bring in like for like, couldn't they just spend 50-60M on Van Dyke, and 38-45M on Lanzini. Sell their fans on Van Dyke as their marquee signing this season whilst bringing Lanzini in under the radar. Klopp probably knows Lanzini is going break through within the next couple of years, and in the meantime he'll already have a Premier League proven midfielder.

Liverpool were willing to spend 70M on Naby Keita. There's nothing stopping them from getting Van Dyke, Lanzini and then throwing a tonne of money to force through a last minute buy. Maybe they don't replace Coutinho this year, but they can certainly interest the likes of Torino with 70-80M for Belotti, and Liverpool would have fixed their Striker problem and their Central Defence problem in one window with Lanzini as a bonus.

So, I don't really get why the fans on both sides are trying to frame Lanzini as some sort of direct replacement for Coutinho as the Liverpool fans would rightly or wrongly be underwhelmed, but you can certainly see the Liverpool board selling their fans on a package including the likes of Van Dyke, Belotti and Lanzini.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I don't see Lanzini as a Coutinho sort to me he is more a midfield player who can get forward and create, more like a Modric, great technique passing, movement, a midfield pivot
Jinxed

Post by Jinxed »

Carvalho fee agreed

Player arrives on Monday to iron out his contract all being well medical to follow after
SullySpecial
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

Jinxed wrote:Carvalho fee agreed

Player arrives on Monday to iron out his contract all being well medical to follow after
Awesome news! :scarfer:
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 518 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Was speaking to a Liverpool supporter while on holiday, here is his take on things. He reckons Liverpool will take the same stance as they did with Suarez. Initially reject the bid and make him stay, training with the reserves if necessary. It's World Cup year next year and Coutinho can't afford to miss that so will stay and have his best season as did Suarez. Then let his move next summer.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Cracker - what a signing that is.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

traxop wrote: While Liverpool wouldn't be able to bring in like for like, couldn't they just spend 50-60M on Van Dyke, and 38-45M on Lanzini. Sell their fans on Van Dyke as their marquee signing this season whilst bringing Lanzini in under the radar. Klopp probably knows Lanzini is going break through within the next couple of years, and in the meantime he'll already have a Premier League proven midfielder.

... but you can certainly see the Liverpool board selling their fans on a package including the likes of Van Dyke, Belotti and Lanzini.
I agree with this. I think that it was clear from yesterday that Liverpool's problem area is defence and their fans will be well aware of that, so they may be conducive to this sort of deal.

The biggest problem that they might have in selling it ironically, is managing expectations as their fans have been expecting Van Dyke to rock up all summer and some of them may not even see him as a 'new' signing and may consider it money already spent.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

What we looking at Jinxed, around £37m ish?

Sounds so bloody surreal.
PortCityIron
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by PortCityIron »

Jinxed you legend. Gonna be really hard to slag off the board after this window. Makes me wonder what happened to finally have them make legitimate deals instead of the usual bob for apples approach :scarfer:
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Superb ! Great news

Thanks as always Jinxed
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

:scarfer:

What a signing. How much we talking fee wise?
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Amazing signing if we pull this off but until the window closes there will still be a big part of me that thinks this transfer is being funded by Lanzini being sold. The way Slav was talking in his press conference the other day didn't give me any confidence that Lanzini won't be sold.