Transfer Window: January 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Re: January transfer window

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Am I the only one that always reads the name Toulalan in the voice of the little French mouse from Tom and Jerry?
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Am I the only one that always reads the name Toulalan in the voice of the little French mouse from Tom and Jerry?
I've never done acid so I wouldn't know.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Am I the only one that always reads the name Toulalan in the voice of the little French mouse from Tom and Jerry?
(In Clouseau voice) Toulalan? Ooh-la-la!
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Non, non!!

Pepe le pue.....
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Most Millennials wont even know what Tom and Jerry is!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^ Too violent, sexist and racist for modern sensibilities.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:^^^^ Too violent, sexist and racist for modern sensibilities.
Pretty disgustingly anti-cat too. :)
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Sam Inkersole on Twitter with more transfer window postmortem: "David Moyes thought deal for Islam Slimani was agreed on Tuesday, deadline day arrived and it suddenly wasn’t. Also put in a “really big” loan offer for Ibrahim Amadou, hadn’t seen enough of him to warrant a £16m permanent bid."
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

Paul Merson gives West Ham's transfer window a grade of "B-", better than Bournemouth, Burnley, Stoke and Watford (and the same as Crystal Palace):

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ea-man-utd
mrbluesky

Post by mrbluesky »

last.caress wrote:Paul Merson gives West Ham's transfer window a grade of "B-", better than Bournemouth, Burnley, Stoke and Watford (and the same as Crystal Palace):

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ea-man-utd
Opinions are like ********s, we all have one.

One ‘decent player’ and a championship player that, in his own words “People tell me there's not much between the two divisions but I don't agree. It's a big jump to come up and score goals in the Premier League.” and that rates a B-?

F*** off Merse.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

He also lets Bournemouth off despite them signing no one at all, whilst shipping out afobe. weird
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

upton o'good wrote: Pretty disgustingly anti-cat too. :)
And as for African/Americans...
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

I know almost everyone seems fuming at our transfer window but here's my take on it..

A few weeks a go I thought we looked in great shape and was just lacking another midfielder who could play a bit with Lanzini. Now addmitedly I don't know much about Mario but the fact he was signed for 35m a short while back means he must have a bit about him and he looked good to me on his debut. We also managed to get Sakho out of the club which can only be a positive and have replaced Awey with a lad from the Championship who will no doubt be as hungry as anyone second half of this season. Point is, I don't think we're in bad shape and would probably say that this is the best squad we've had for quite a while. For me personnel isn't the problem, getting them on the pitch is. And that can't be put at the feet of Moyes or any relatively new player as this has been an on going problem for a long long time. Currently, a team made up of our injured players would wipe the floor with the rest of them and presented with that situation, any team in the league would struggle big time. So let's just hope we get to see Lanzini and Arnie linking up again asap because in my opnion that was a thing of beauty a few weeks back
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Great post YWN

There needs to be some positivity amoungst the doom and gloom and like you I feel we generally have a decent squad.

As you say, Sakho has gone and so has Ayew. Both good players but who for different reasons were largely on the fringes of the first 11 and wont be missed terribly. We have in Mario added creativity in midfield (first impressions are positive) and a striker in Hugill whose jib I very much like the cut of. Would have liked a defensive midfielder but cant be greedy and happy to wait until the summer when this will be addressed.

Here is hoping for a debut goal today from Hugill ably assisted by Mario :crest:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Yea Why Not wrote:I know almost everyone seems fuming at our transfer window but here's my take on it..

A few weeks a go I thought we looked in great shape and was just lacking another midfielder who could play a bit with Lanzini. Now addmitedly I don't know much about Mario but the fact he was signed for 35m a short while back means he must have a bit about him and he looked good to me on his debut. We also managed to get Sakho out of the club which can only be a positive and have replaced Awey with a lad from the Championship who will no doubt be as hungry as anyone second half of this season. Point is, I don't think we're in bad shape and would probably say that this is the best squad we've had for quite a while. For me personnel isn't the problem, getting them on the pitch is. And that can't be put at the feet of Moyes or any relatively new player as this has been an on going problem for a long long time. Currently, a team made up of our injured players would wipe the floor with the rest of them and presented with that situation, any team in the league would struggle big time. So let's just hope we get to see Lanzini and Arnie linking up again asap because in my opnion that was a thing of beauty a few weeks back
good post.. for me we could spend 100 million a window and nothing would change.. they would be injured within a week lol
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

mumbles87 wrote:for me we could spend 100 million a window and nothing would change.. they would be injured within a week lol
To some extent it is a no win situation for the club. Last January (2017) we panic bought Fonte and Snodgrass to plug gaps. Neither are bad players but neither were strategic purchases and rather impulsive panic buys. The board were coated for those buys as they have been for not panic buying this window.

I much prefer the buys this time around who could make a genuine impact on the first 11 (time will tell). The proper business will take place in the summer when Moyes will get the opportunity to re-shape the squad to his own specifications.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

ironilunga wrote: To some extent it is a no win situation for the club. Last January (2017) we panic bought Fonte and Snodgrass to plug gaps. Neither are bad players but neither were strategic purchases and rather impulsive panic buys. The board were coated for those buys as they have been for not panic buying this window.

I much prefer the buys this time around who could make a genuine impact on the first 11 (time will tell). The proper business will take place in the summer when Moyes will get the opportunity to re-shape the squad to his own specifications.
I think Mario will make a genuine impact on the first team. Hugill I got a feeling he could be a great signing for us.. younger than carroll is now.. not got the injury record (we can change that) and plays the way moyes wants

seemed a shrewed scouted window from moyes M.O
Snorrimon

Post by Snorrimon »

Always makes me think of Dexy's... Tou-la-tou-la-lan....
Last edited by Snorrimon on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

ironilunga wrote: Would have liked a defensive midfielder but cant be greedy and happy to wait until the summer when this will be addressed.
I look forward to the summer where we identify a decent DM and then slap in our half the price bid in instalments on deadline day.
ironilunga

Post by ironilunga »

smuts wrote:I look forward to the summer where we identify a decent DM and then slap in our half the price bid in instalments on deadline day.
TBF I think our summer business has always been done in good time. We got in the likes of Arnautovic, Hart, Hernandez and Zabba well before deadline.

I have been quite happy with the majority of signings we have made over recent years. That said, If the board do not invest heavily in the playing squad this summer then there can be no excuses. I can understand not buying impulsively in January but a quiet summer and I think the game is up.