Transfer Window: January 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2894 likes
Total likes: 617 likes

Re: January transfer window

Post by Hammer.CA »

[quote="bubbles1966"]
9 points from probable European football.

Good morning Dave.
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

Four winnable games coming up. Yes, we need some reinforcements in midfield but no need for panic buys or silly loans. GIve some of the younger players more game time and get players in that we might actually want next year. Happy to unload anyone who is not happy even if that means saying goodbye to Javier, Sakho and Antonio. The key thing about yesterday was that everyone seemed to be working for each other and following manager's tactics. Need to keep that going
GH27

Post by GH27 »

I don’t get this negativity about Antonio. Pace, power, self belief that scares defenders,
He’s been playing injured in a poorly performing team. He gets fit and we have an excellent player.

I agree he can be clumsy and lacks silky skills, but pace and strength are rare commodities in football these days.

A pal living in the States was never convinced about him watching games on telly till he came across and watched a couple of games live and then got it. Antonio is a beast - think folk need to get off his back.
:thup:
Believer
Has liked: 1428 likes
Total likes: 764 likes

Post by Believer »

I’d love to see us get in one statement signing. One player that will own the midfield. Someone that’ll be happy to do all the horrible work but also take no prisoners. A proper kingpin in midfield who will allow Noble to do what he does best and float around as a crucial link between midfield and our front players.

Would Fellaini be that player ? I don’t know but something tells me he would be a fans favourite. I think though that the way to sign him and make him a part of our club will be to combine that with a 3 year deal for Moyes. Moyes, Arnie, Fellaini are West Ham type people in the same way that Lanzini and Rice are.

Someone mentioned earlier that Moyes spends money as if it’s his own and I suspect that were he to bring in Fellaini as “his” player for a 3rd time then we would reap the benefits. He is a bit older now and we would definitely be his last club but in the summer we could compliment with a couple of promising youngsters - the young kid McGinn from Hibs, maybe Tierney from Celtic. For some reason I think Moyes could get young Scottish players running through brick walls for him and they’re a damn site cheaper than English equivalents. We could sign the 2 I mention for the cost of Ayew.

However in order for the above to happen we need Sullivan to forget about Rafa. Forget about silly foreign punts. Let the manager manage. Let that Manager be Moyes. Yes he will infuriate us at times but most managers infuriate at times. Give the club stability.

Fellaini and Moyes - both 3 year deals. :thup:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1515 likes
Total likes: 3181 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Can’t be interested in Fellaini. Our team is slow of mind and foot, two of his major drawbacks.
Olliek92
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Olliek92 »

Snodgrass was the worst player i've seen in a west ham shirt in over a decade. Even in games that we ended up winning (burnley away last game of season) he was shocking, couldn't run, couldn't pass, couldn't shoot and bottled out of challenges. Get rid asap.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Yeah but Snodgrass is playing well in the Championship......... :lol:
goof

Post by goof »

No Sanchez in the Arsenal team today.
WTID
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by WTID »

With Antonio for the last 2 seasons you knew what you was getting. 100% commitment, effort and work rate. This season has not been the case whether that’s injuries or someone in his ear who knows. One thing I will say his not improved in the areas where his terrible. His finishing and crossing are atrocious I don’t know how a professional footballer can’t cross the ball. I’m never confident when his through on goal either and I’m surprised when he even hits the target.
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Olliek92 wrote:Snodgrass was the worst player i've seen in a west ham shirt in over a decade. Even in games that we ended up winning (burnley away last game of season) he was shocking, couldn't run, couldn't pass, couldn't shoot and bottled out of challenges. Get rid asap.
I"m sorry but this is ridiculous.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes

Post by MB »

Wilko1304 wrote:Can’t be interested in Fellaini. Our team is slow of mind and foot, two of his major drawbacks.
Just put in his thread, but we basically have Kouyate in that role now and it is paying some dividends so like you I am not sure what Fellani gives us. He is a better finisher, but not like we short of goals.

A disciplined player with decent distribution is what we need.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

goof wrote:No Sanchez in the Arsenal team today.
Sully is working very hard to sign him?
hammer1975
Has liked: 981 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Fellaini has been fantastic for Man Utd when played in a defensive-shield role on occasion over the last season-and-a-half. It relies little on pace up and down the pitch and more on positional awareness, concentration and winning individual challenges.
Condorhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Condorhammer »

If it were a straight choice between Shelvey and Felliani, I’d go for baldy.
Local(ish) lad, good range of passing and not afraid to get stuck in.
Probably lower wages too.
Plus, young enough to have some sell-on value, which I’m sure would also appeal to Sully.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1515 likes
Total likes: 3181 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

hammer1975 wrote:Fellaini has been fantastic for Man Utd when played in a defensive-shield role on occasion over the last season-and-a-half. It relies little on pace up and down the pitch and more on positional awareness, concentration and winning individual challenges.
Don’t think that’s true, especially with the two points being his main contributions that people have been impressed by is goals and he’s also had Matic there with him.

In a less dominant team with lesser players around him and having to do the workload he’d need to do for us? Can’t see it at all.

We need a smart passer there.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Condorhammer wrote:If it were a straight choice between Shelvey and Felliani, I’d go for baldy.
Local(ish) lad, good range of passing and not afraid to get stuck in.
Probably lower wages too.
Plus, young enough to have some sell-on value, which I’m sure would also appeal to Sully.
No way, I don't care if Putins lovechild was conceived in the Chicken Run toilets, was born on the Boleyn turf and has West Ham tattoos all over him, Felliani is a far better footballer. Yesterday Shelvey was dogs**t for Newcastle, his career has been tailing off and we don't need him messing around when the likes of Cullen are showing promise.
hammer1975
Has liked: 981 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

His passing is over 85% over the last three season Wilko. That’s behind only Lanzini and about even with Nobes in our squad. That despite not having the simple 5 yard passes back to a CB in all of his games that most CDM’s have. His passing ‘issues’ look worse relatively when we see him on the pitch with Man Utd players in my view.

We need more players like Lanzini and Noble in the squad for sure, and I wouldn’t suggest Fellaini would take away that need. But I do think he’d improve us over Kouyate and Obiang competitively and he’s obviously a massive set piece threat. We are actually pretty poor aerially bar Kouyate, Carroll and the CB’s - goals would be a bonus.

Not that I think it will happen, i’m expecting Sullivan off to Marbella whichever way Bournemouth result goes.

Danger of relegation so can't spend/January window value, can’t get into Europe so won’t spend * delete as applicable :wink:
Last edited by hammer1975 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Felleini is Moyes' man. I think he would be a good signing.

One of those players who everybody else but the team he plays for hates.

That is a good thing.
hammer_sandwich

Post by hammer_sandwich »

Wilko1304 wrote:Can’t be interested in Fellaini. Our team is slow of mind and foot, two of his major drawbacks.
I hate fellani
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

So Sanchez has 6months left on his contract he is being brought for £30mill plus £10mill for his agent.

That's basically over 2million a game plus his wages of say 200k a week.

Footballs is crazy can get him for free in 6months time.