Transfer Window: January 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: January transfer window

Post by Puff Daddy »

f*** all the rest of them. Just get Elvis
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

DasNutNock wrote:Alex Song available?
He is. But so is Alessandro Diamanti....
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

David Moyes at Press Conference today wrote:We were trying up to the last minute. We tried for quite a few players.
Bramwell
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bramwell »

Modern wrote: https://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik ... osespieler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From that list, I'd take the Brazilian player - Wesley - but only because it's my youngest lad's name, and I could buy him a replica top with his name on.

In similar vein, my eldest became a father, and I became a granddad, for the first time on January 4th. They named the little lad Theodore. So as you can imagine, I was really keen on us getting Fyodor Smolov.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

too african
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1786 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

warp wrote: too african
Wasn't Henry's comment about being offered a Cameroonian player? Hmm...
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Apologies if already mentioned but apparently we had a deadline day try for 35 year old Phil Jagielka on loan :lol:
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

Hammersfaniow wrote:Apparently we didn’t stand a chance with Slimani as Leicester wouldn’t deal with us after Karren Brady had a pop at their board over the sacking of Ranieri a while back
Can you blame her though, their squad downed tools and got him sacked!.

After that in the very next fixture they smashed Liverpool...disgusting behaviour!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wasn't Henry's comment about being offered a Cameroonian player? Hmm...
:o
Johnny Byrne's Boots

This from the Guardian
Henry, a key ally of David Moyes, had spent deadline day unsuccessfully trying to secure a deal for Anderlecht’s Leander Dendoncker. Yet he soon found himself at the centre of a racism storm, with Lord Ouseley, the chairman of Kick It Out, describing an email Henry allegedly sent to another West Ham official and an agent regarding an inquiry about a player of Cameroonian descent as potentially unlawful.
It says 'of Cameroonian descent' so probably not Song.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Does appear from what is known that if there was an actual desire to establish ourselves as one of the clubs around the Europa spots – rather than just to talk about it but do the precise opposite in actions – over the course of six months we could comfortably have assembled a central midfield right now of Wilshere, Dendoncker and Carvalho for circa £65m.

Not chump change, but only double what we paid for Fonte, Snodgrass and Hughill – bench players all – and young and talented enough not to have to go to the well every summer to buy the next punt or patch up.

Desperately need to switch to a view of recruitment that involves a longer time horizon than muddling through to the next tv payment in a year's time.
Last edited by Aceface on Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Jérémy Toulalan anyone? He's 34 and his hair is going grey. Might be able to take out a pay-day loan to afford his wages for a few months
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Moyes: "We would have liked one more player. We were trying up to the last minute. We tried for quite a few players, but we were happy from what we saw from Joao Mario and we also got Jordan, who gives us a different type of centre forward.

"We're happy enough. If we'd got one more, it would have made it right, but two was OK. We have enough cover if we get players back. Marko is not too far away.

"We were in for Slimani, but he chose to go to Newcastle. We had interest in Dendonker and Amadou and would have been happy with one, but for whatever reason they didn't come off."
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:Moyes: "We would have liked one more player. We were trying up to the last minute. We tried for quite a few players, but we were happy from what we saw from Joao Mario and we also got Jordan, who gives us a different type of centre forward.

"We're happy enough. If we'd got one more, it would have made it right, but two was OK. We have enough cover if we get players back. Marko is not too far away.

"We were in for Slimani, but he chose to go to Newcastle. We had interest in Dendonker and Amadou and would have been happy with one, but for whatever reason they didn't come off."

Moyes giving that speech must have been thinking in his head " and you call us Scots tight "
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Let's get Nasri, Song, Vainqueur, Kirchoff and Wollscheid.

They're all free so Sully would love it. They would all enhance the squad.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:But there's still news. I've just seen Alex song, Nasri and David Sullivan at a hotel in Chingford!

Oddly. Sullivan was wearing a big rastafaeian hat with a free Nelson Mandela T shirt. . Pardon?
the celestial insect wrote: It was the 'free' part of the t-shirt that attracted him.
I doff my cap to both of you.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Did the "Free Nelson Mandela" t-shirt have "With every Kray DVD" on the back?
stevieboy
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by stevieboy »

So many ways that this window echoed the lies, spin and asset stripping of the Bellamy/Savio window. I wonder if we took an advance off one of the sponsors to fund Hugill?
The Green Man
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by The Green Man »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Capel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone remember this fella?

Back in the day was one of the hottest properties in La Liga, Tottenham bid 12.5m for him Madrid were interested, what happened to him?!. :eh:
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Irrons wrote:Jérémy Toulalan anyone? He's 34 and his hair is going grey. Might be able to take out a pay-day loan to afford his wages for a few months
Was a great player, could still do a job in the middle of the park spraying it around a la Wilkins age 38